Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion > Warty's Sandman FR - Dream Hunters

Literature General Discussion A space to talk about your favorite books, series and authors.

Old 06-14-17, 03:10 AM   #1
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Warty's Sandman FR - Dream Hunters

She came into my dreams and made me read it.

The "graphic" portion seems to be a big part of my first experience in this arena. The craftsmanship of the story will become evident with time, but the craftsmanship of the graphic is evident immediately.

Writers in the so-called traditional literary format spend countless words setting the scene, but here in the graphic world that burden is lifted. I didn't think about this before I experienced it. It seems to result in every word of the writer being story instead of creating the environment for the reader.

I will probably take more time than some other readers, as I like to savor the moment. I am only a few pages in and I have already flipped back and revisualized what is going on.

One thing is that it seems I should have some knowledge of this universe that I do not have. I am not sure I clearly understand the motivation of Dr. Hathaway, but maybe that will come.

I see one of those things Sandman has! There's history right there! Now... onto seeing if death can be summoned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.

Last edited by Warthawg1; Yesterday at 04:20 AM.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 04:23 AM   #2
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1
Re: Warty's Sandman FR

"Dream" looks like the bastard child of Admiral Akbar and Batman.

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Old 06-14-17, 04:37 AM   #3
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
"Dream" looks like the bastard child of Admiral Akbar and Batman.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 04:38 AM   #4
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Normally I would rush people, but for this...

DO take your time.

Flip back and re-read pages you just read.

Look again at each panel.

It's worth that.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

Old 06-14-17, 04:40 AM   #5
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
One thing is that it seems I should have some knowledge of this universe that I do not have. I am not sure I clearly understand the motivation of Dr. Hathaway, but maybe that will come.
Yes and no.

P&N does have some other-comic-tie-ins. But, I never read any of those other comics, and I got along just fine with the story.
(and, attempts at tie-ins end after P&N)

As far as Hathaway, no, you aren't supposed to already know anything about him, or about Burgess (guy he came to see). Just let it happen.

Old 06-14-17, 06:06 AM   #6
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

For when you finish with the first issue/episode of P&N:

Spoiler: Sleep of the Just

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
So, looking through P&N again.

Chapter 1, "Sleep of the Just," which covers Morpheus's imprisonment by Burgess and son-- I love that the chapter begins with "Wake up, sir. We're here." and ends with "We're here. It's alright. So wake up. Please wake up. Please...?"

Gaiman does shit like that on purpose.

Things I'd forgotten / hadn't noticed:

When Burgess and Alex are talking about the Endless, and Burgess says "Desire?" in the panel, Sykes is looking at a picture of Ethel, who he later has an affair and runs away with. Just a neat detail I hadn't noticed before.

All of the Unity Kinkaid stuff is great. "She dreams of a tall, dark man. His eyes burn like twin stars in her head." The "I dreamed I had a baby" panel

I love how the summoning ceremony itself is hokey as shit but somehow cool. "A stick that I stuck through a dead man's eye"

I enjoy Morpheus's running commentary of captivity more now. The first time I read, it took me a minute to even figure out what was up with the black-box-white-text. "Watch my captor grow old and die. No satisfaction. Still here. Waiting."

In Alex's dream, a black cat turns into Morpheus. Had forgotten that. Made me smile.

And, Morpheus's revenge on Alex, Eternal Waking. First taste of what a dick Morpheus can be when you piss him off.

Old 06-14-17, 11:46 AM   #7
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Normally I would rush people, but for this...

DO take your time.

Flip back and re-read pages you just read.

Look again at each panel.

It's worth that.

Yeah looking at the panels closely is a big part of what I am doing. There seems to be information or important detail buried in the artwork. It seems it may be more than just pure illustration as part of the story is hiding in there.

Old 06-14-17, 12:05 PM   #8
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

So many details.

Old 06-14-17, 01:16 PM   #9
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
The "graphic" portion seems to be a big part of my first experience in this arena. The craftsmanship of the story will become evident with time, but the craftsmanship of the graphic is evident immediately.

Writers in the so-called traditional literary format spend countless words setting the scene, but here in the graphic world that burden is lifted. I didn't think about this before I experienced it. It seems to result in every word of the writer being story instead of creating the environment for the reader.
There are really only very few "comic books" that are able to take advantage of this. Sandman itself doesn't always take full advantage itself. I've read a lot of the storyboards, and it can be astounding how detailed and demanding Gaiman is of his artists, but then on other panels the contrast couldn't be sharper, where he gives the artist almost complete license to create anything they think wold be suitable for the given dialogue.

Quote:
I will probably take more time than some other readers, as I like to savor the moment. I am only a few pages in and I have already flipped back and revisualized what is going on.
I advise this wholeheartedly, especially if you're not a man who's given to re-reading. I always advise reading Sandman at least twice, because the true craftsmanship of the storytelling isn't clear until at least the second time through, no matter how detail-oriented you are. But two reads should be sufficient if they're done in such a manner.

Quote:
You don't need to worry about that stuff. I personally think it was thrown in as added fun for the fanboys (Gaiman included), but after P&N it never matters again.

Quote:
Yeah looking at the panels closely is a big part of what I am doing. There seems to be information or important detail buried in the artwork. It seems it may be more than just pure illustration as part of the story is hiding in there.

As you get deeper into the series, you'll notice that different artists are used for different story arcs. Be aware that that's being done on purpose.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Sandman! It's great to have you, and i think you'll really enjoy (most of) it. (Dreams aren't always pretty, after all).
Quote:
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 06-14-17 at 05:16 PM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-17, 03:45 PM   #10
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

I do not like things that are always pretty.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Art & Literature > Literature General Discussion »