Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The X-Files Season 11 - FOX Wednesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 01-06-18, 01:15 PM   #21
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Re: The X-Files Season 11 - FOX Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
good god could they not RUSH the episode? it's running at trailer speed. go back to the nice even slow flow of the 90s original. i know stupid people need wham bam faster faster, but the story is being sacrificed for the sake satiating dumber young people. eta: i like young people, i just wish you all would be more patient and take life slower.
This
So much story line rushed into the two hour time slot. I wished the story could have been broken up into separate shows. That could have cleared up all the jumbled amount of info being jammed into this episode. Even two separate hour episodes would have made certain elements pushed into one show or the other. Give it more clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Thank god for recorders, almost 10 minutes of ads at the beginning. The premiere brought back some great nostalgia from the original run, but found the editing a bit choppy. I think there were long expositions at the business-end of a gun in the original, it's sort of a trademark, but it seemed a little overdone in this premiere. I love Mulder's new ride!. Looking forward to the next episode and where it takes us. I need to rewatch the previous mini-series to catch up on some details that lost me.
So many commercials! How in the heck can you follow what is going on when after 5 minutes of story you get 5 minutes of commercials? The "umph" of plot points are lost by breaking up the flow of the show with too much.
However we have recording capabilities on our service, we we record then fast forward. This function is really worth every penny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimny72 View Post
I agree. Rushed and choppy, and Scully would never have driven in that condition!

The Mulder voiceover was also disconcerting. That's not the way Mulder talks. It sounded like an actor reading a story.

I was reading somewhere else a fan who remembered idolizing Scully when the show first aired - a female character who was smart and capable and not running around in skimpy clothes waiting to be rescued. But upon rewatching recently, now that there are lots of great female characters, she was surprised at how often Scully needed saving, how often she was unconscious or in the hospital, and how much the mythology revolved around her reproductive system. I experienced the same thing, and the big reveal in this episode just contributes more to that. Ewww.

Having said all that, I still enjoyed the epi. I'm a sucker for this damn show. I hope we get a few monster of the week episodes this season, that to me is where the show shined.

And wow, Scully and Skinner are aging WAY better than Mulder
I quit watching the episode after an hour because of all the jumpy, fast fast moving story line. It looked like it was rehashing everything that happened in their alien world storylines. I hope that is what they did, get it all out. I really didn't want to be caught up as I was never a fan of the alien plots.

I've been watching many of the shows being rerun on a cable network and so love their "monster of the week" episodes which were never a pat procedural and always contained some sort of new plot twist never seen before.
I really hope this remake will have some stories like those old ones.

And Kimny, I agree with your last statement. Skinner looks way younger than Mulder. Oh, oh, maybe that is going to be addressed throughout this season.

Since I quit watching this episode and someone please spoiler tag me with what the reveal was? Or was it about Mulder and CSMan being related which apparently was revealed before but was new to me.

Last edited by 9mile monster; 01-06-18 at 01:17 PM.
9mile monster is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-18, 03:06 PM   #22
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

I had spoiler tagged info earlier in the thread about the breakdown of episode type - as in, how many episodes will be mythology-oriented and how many would be standalone "Monster of the Week" types. I'll re-post it here for those of you who want to know, but under tags again in consideration of the people who don't want to know. No genuine spoilers are included.

Spoiler: Monster of the Week vs. Mythology episode numbers
There will be 8 "Monster of the Week" episodes and 2 Mythology episodes. My source for this is Wikipedia.

I hope that sets many minds at ease.

________

As for CSM being Mulder's biological father, it was revealed to the audience, i think, during Season 9, but i don't recall Fox himself finding out at that point. It was 2007 when i last re-watched the whole series (except s10 of course), so my memory might be a little foggy on the details. I know that a lot of fans sort of checked out, if not just walked away, during the seasons of Doggett and Reyes. For anyone who did so, i can understand why, but you may have missed a lot if so. Doggett in particular turned a lot of people off, myself included, but Monica Reyes is a good character, and there were a lot of mythology reveals after Mulder and Scully came back to the X-Files, largely because certain people had let their guards down while M&S were away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
I am not allowed to rob a liquor store anymore because I met my own personal Jesus.
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-18, 07:27 PM   #23
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I think the best episodes to showcase CSM was the 3-part Anasazi run which ended with Skinner saying to CSM .. "You can pucker up and kiss my ...!" in Paperclip, lol. It really showed a vunerable CSM who was up against the wall with the syndicate. It showed at what lengths he goes to lie, cover up, and erase people in his way, but mostly for self-preservation. As WMC said to CSM, "My God, you presume to make us believe you can simply fix it with enough bullets?".

I know it's been 20 years and CSM changes, but I really miss the subtleties and excellent writing of the past which I don't think we get in this current incarnation. CSM has too much of a god/satan complex. Hopefully we'll see more of a three dimensional character moving forward.

Spoiler: For Trolls' Eyes Only

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-18, 09:03 PM   #24
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

well said mr. bill. CSM used to pull the strings in shadow, now he's become too mainstream as a character (imo).

I Reached inside myself And found nothing there
To ease the pressure of My ever worrying mind
All my powers waste away I fear the crazed and lonely looks
The mirror's sending me these days
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-18, 10:49 PM   #25
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I have a little rant here about the big reveal in this episode ...

Spoiler: Rant
which I feel is really insulting to the Scully character. My first reaction was "Oh not again!". What is she to the writers, an alien baby factory? She was already raped once during her initial abduction and as a result developed cancer, almost died, then was reunited briefly with her hybrid daughter who only survived a few days before she died right in front of Scully. So now, here it is , raped again, this time by CSM. Folks have theorized that it's a lie (but what's CSM's motive for lying about it)? That it's even in the script is disgusting and a real disservice to the character (imo). Dana Scully deserves better.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-07-18, 06:18 AM   #26
kimny72
Seeks Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post

Since I quit watching this episode and someone please spoiler tag me with what the reveal was? Or was it about Mulder and CSMan being related which apparently was revealed before but was new to me.
Spoiler: Spoiler reveal as requested
CSM revealed that he "impregnated Scully with science" and alien DNA and he is William's biological father. This supposedly happened in an episode where he took Scully for a car ride to show her something and we saw her passed out in the passenger seat and she woke up in his house. Ewww.
kimny72 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-18, 06:21 AM   #27
kimny72
Seeks Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
I have a little rant here about the big reveal in this episode ...

Spoiler: Rant
which I feel is really insulting to the Scully character. My first reaction was "Oh not again!". What is she to the writers, an alien baby factory? She was already raped once during her initial abduction and as a result developed cancer, almost died, then was reunited briefly with her hybrid daughter who only survived a few days before she died right in front of Scully. So now, here it is , raped again, this time by CSM. Folks have theorized that it's a lie (but what's CSM's motive for lying about it)? That it's even in the script is disgusting and a real disservice to the character (imo). Dana Scully deserves better.
Agreed. It seems like they are using it to help explain why CSM is so protective of Scully, but I'm sure there was another less crappy way to do it.
kimny72 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-18, 12:23 PM   #28
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimny72 View Post
Spoiler: Spoiler reveal as requested
CSM revealed that he "impregnated Scully with science" and alien DNA and he is William's biological father. This supposedly happened in an episode where he took Scully for a car ride to show her something and we saw her passed out in the passenger seat and she woke up in his house. Ewww.
Thank you Kimny. Mos def EWWWwww.

And geez, I already watch a soap opera during the day. I don't want one in the evening.

Spoiler: harumpf
I'm thinking that impregnating her with "science"
means that he didn't physically do it with his penis. Still sheesh
Old 01-07-18, 05:14 PM   #29
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mile monster View Post

Spoiler: harumpf
I'm thinking that impregnating her with "science"
means that he didn't physically do it with his penis. Still sheesh
Spoiler: re: harumpf
And against her will, both times, which means rape in my book.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Old 01-07-18, 07:54 PM   #30
nsguy
Cons the Conman

I agree that the first episode was disappointing.

Someone mentioned that they had gone back and rewatched the series and they found that it wasn't as good as they had remembered (can't remember if that was someone on the board or someone in RL). I still remember at the time how much I liked episodes like: Jose Chung's From Outer Space and War of the Coprophages (the cockroach episode). In the age of HBO, AMC, Netflix, etc. I wonder if I went back and watched some of those older episodes if they would be as good as I remember.

By the way I loved The Lone Gunmen, both on the X-Files and on their own show. I'd love to see them back, but I thought they had all died in a X-Files episode.
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »