Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Stopping the countdown is bad??

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 09-30-05, 03:25 PM   #11
G-Man
Seeks Rescue

Re: countdown

Quote:
Remember though, Jack was about to push the execute button without entering the code first and Locke stopped him. I'm not saying that Locke knew better or anything. I'm just trying to make the point that maybe JUST pressing Execute is bad. BUT, entering the code first makes it ok.
Quote:
That, or maybe we havent seen 'the button' yet.
no i think we have seen the button and it is in fact the execute. but i like your logic about pressing Execute with no code (or even the wrong code); i think that is the source of walt's fear.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-05, 09:34 PM   #12
LostInWilderness
Hears the Whispers

First off I'll bet the button Walt refers to isn't the execute button. Nothing is that obvious in Lost. Second, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the countdown does nothing. Desmond clearly thinks it's important, but I doubt it. Third, I don't think this is a continuous timer. It doesn't start counting after Locke resets it. It's an event triggered countdown.
LostInWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-05, 09:48 PM   #13
Velociraptor Mongolinses
Wasn't on the List

Quote:
It's an event triggered countdown.

Good point. Maybe it's some kind of safety switch for the power system, for example if it were overheating, the countdown initiates, and he must enter the numbers to activate some cooling system.

I think the magnetism has something to do with where the power comes from, but I don't know enough to make any speculation. I do know that MRI machines create a strong enough magnetic field to rip the key off of Jack's neck, so whatever it is must be behind some thick rock, or not that powerful.
Velociraptor Mongolinses is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 09:36 AM   #14
lacenaire
Sees Walt

I noticed 2 kinds of sequences when typing in the numbers:

1. Firt this is what Desmond types when he is alone:

4[space]8[space]15[space]16[space]23[space]42[execute]

We don't know what this sequence is for. It sounds like the countdown is reseting but we don't see it happen.

2. This is what Locke types to actualy stop the countdown:

4815162342[execute].

Why the [space] in one and not in the other?
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 10:04 AM   #15
Badger
Turns Purple
Sees Walt

Because they didn't want to have Desmond say "space" after each number so they dumbed it down. It's really that simple.

Can you imagine watching as Desmond says "four, space, eight, space, fifteen, space, sixteen, space, twenty-three, space, fourty-two, now press the execute button"

It's much easier to just have him say the numbers themselves and have the spaces automagically appear. That's TV.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 10:14 AM   #16
lacenaire
Sees Walt

"automagically" I like that

lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 10:35 AM   #17
maxironchin
Wasn't on the List

Wasn't it Walt who said "don't open the hatch" to Locke in S1(assuming this wasn't a Locke hallucination). But it seems that opening the hatch has given the lostees some greater hope than they would have done otherwise.

Not sure that Walt is evil, but I would say he is not giving the best advice. This might be expected to be the case when we have a child who appears to have some special powers. He simply doesn't yet have enough experience to know how to interpret what he is aware of.

So, I'd say that Walt's advice might be something to take account of, but not something to follow to the letter. Maybe Walt is aware that there is something important under the hatch and maybe his psychic ability (or whatever) has put him in touch with Desmond's fear. It could be this that's made Walt afraid of the hatch and of pressing the button.

[Addition :] What I don't understand is why does there needs to be a human on the island, under the hatch, just to press a few buttons? You could have a special data feed passing the numbers down the computer cable every 108 units of time. There'd be a heck of a lot less scratching on the wall if this had been done.
maxironchin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 11:58 AM   #18
DCUP

First, I didn't get the impression that the "timer" is reset every 108 minutes/hours whatever. I got the impression that it counts down from 108 seconds whenever the "alarm" goes off, which is not at preset times. Whatever triggers the alarm remains to be seen.

I also agree that the execute button isn't necessarily the button that is bad. As they have already done some misdirection with "They are coming for the boy".

The notion that Walt is evil is a fun one to think about. Although I highly doubt that is the case... it is interesting to think that The Others (or whoever it is that took him) could be doing everyone a favor by taking him. But, the reason I don't think Walt is evil is because of Claire's abduction. I think there is some conspiracy of some kind involving children (Alex was taken too). It still could be for their protection- but I really don't think it's because Walt is capable of doing bad. And don't forget the psychic's plead (no one else must raise your child).
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 01:47 PM   #19
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

Quote:
We are all jumping to the conclusion that the "button" Walt refers to is the "Execute" on the computer. But there may be another button of more import to come (this is the kind of misdirection the writers might use). OR pushing the button without the proper sequence of the numbers is very bad.
I pretty much agree with that. Key to the equation is inputting the proper numbers first, so pushing the button being good or bad would depend on whether or not the proper numbers were entered first. If pushing the button is good, then it's only good if the proper numbers were entered first.

By the way, if you base it on the visual way the countdown was going... the 108 would have been minutes. When the countdown was shown moving, the numbers to the right of 108 were flipping each second. That doesn't mean however the countdown has ot be reset every 108 minutes, because after Locke entered the numbers they showed the countdown again, and did so long enough to notice it did not immediately start up again.

I think something has to trigger the countdown to begin.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-05, 03:50 PM   #20
Magical Trevor
Lord of the Undead
Talks Backwards

Send a message via MSN to Magical Trevor

What if the countdown is fake, and just a way to keep Desmond from trying to leave? After all, all we've seen the numbers do is draw people to the island in one way or another, so maybe they're there to keep him there. If Desmond thought he had nothing to lose by leaving surely he'd found a way by now considering how long he's been there.
Magical Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »