Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > This Is Us - NBC Tuesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 09-28-16, 06:48 PM   #11
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

Re: This Is Us - NBC Tuesday

Really enjoying this show. Loved the twist at the end of Ep1. Did not like the twist at the end of E2. But going to enjoy the ride seeing how it got to that point.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Lawboy is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-16, 06:52 PM   #12
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawboy View Post
Really enjoying this show. Loved the twist at the end of Ep1. Did not like the twist at the end of E2. But going to enjoy the ride seeing how it got to that point.
Miguel told Jack he admired his life.

Lawboy, I'm curious how we got to this point too. I immediately thought about his drinking.
Old 09-29-16, 05:04 PM   #13
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Miguel told Jack he admired his life.

Lawboy, I'm curious how we got to this point too. I immediately thought about his drinking.
I think most of us thought about Jack's drinking -- that's where we were led by the story. However, Jack and Rebecca's marriage may not have ended in divorce -- he might have died. All three children seem to recall their parents on great terms -- loving and involved with them as they grew up. It seems to me that this is how children remember a parent who has passed away -- not one who is broken and divorced from the other parent. I'm thinking Jack died at some point and his best friend, Miguel was there to support Rebecca -- which led to a relationship between the two of them.

Since Randall's children refer to Miguel as "grandpa" and Randall refers to him as "Miguel", I'm inclined to believe that Miguel married Rebecca when the three children were older -- maybe teens or later -- any earlier and they would probably have called Miguel "pop" or some other term rather by his first name.

It also looks like Kevin, the oldest brother, needed to be "cool" and wasn't a very good brother to Randall for most of their lives. They still aren't real close or that's the impression I get. I think Kate's the one that holds the three together and will be the one to help the two men grow closer in the future.

And while I'm thinking about it -- Kate's got a great guy with Toby. She better grab him and hold onto him while she can. He looks like a wonderful guy to go through life with.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-16, 06:46 PM   #14
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
...Since Randall's children refer to Miguel as "grandpa" and Randall refers to him as "Miguel", I'm inclined to believe that Miguel married Rebecca when the three children were older -- maybe teens or later -- any earlier and they would probably have called Miguel "pop" or some other term rather by his first name...
Yeah, I recall this portion of the dialogue. I got the same reaction. Randall's children call Miguel Grandpa, so there's a chance they never knew their "real" grandfather, Jack.

Which brings up another problem in the making. How is Randall going to explain William? Eventually, he's going to have to tell his daughters he is their "real" grandfather.

Quote:
...It also looks like Kevin, the oldest brother, needed to be "cool" and wasn't a very good brother to Randall for most of their lives. They still aren't real close or that's the impression I get. I think Kate's the one that holds the three together and will be the one to help the two men grow closer in the future...
Very touching moment when Kevin called Randall about his predicament. "I wasn't a very good brother." Randall's reply, "It's never to late to start."

Quote:
...And while I'm thinking about it -- Kate's got a great guy with Toby. She better grab him and hold onto him while she can. He looks like a wonderful guy to go through life with.
Sandi, I love this guy, and I love the actor portraying him.

If she'd known him from her earlier life, she'd be a much better person. Did you notice how at the party, she saw everyone looking at them. While Toby only saw her.
Old 09-29-16, 07:36 PM   #15
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Did you notice how at the party, she saw everyone looking at them. While Toby only saw her.
Yes, I did notice that. Kate had to get drunk in order to feel good enough about herself that she wasn't upset by the other guests laughing at her and Toby. I think Kate needs more that a support group -- she needs to see a psychiatrist. She has a poor self-image and low self-esteem. She's not going to suddenly turn that around even if she loses the weight.

Old 09-29-16, 09:35 PM   #16
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
...I think Kate needs more that a support group -- she needs to see a psychiatrist. She has a poor self-image and low self-esteem. She's not going to suddenly turn that around even if she loses the weight.
Sandi, how did you think the mother handled her weight problem early in her life? Was she trying to help or did she make it worse?
Old 09-29-16, 09:45 PM   #17
vincentstuntdbl#23
stuntdog
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Possibly, the best television script I've seen in a while. Along with great dialogue!

I kept thinking, I've got to tell the Vincentstuntdbl#23 about this one. He's another one who enjoys great writing. Oh Dawg!

Along with great writing, you're right Sandi, there's also a great cast.

I don't want to spoil anything about everyone sharing the same birthday. I will say, it has nothing to do with Sense8.
Haven't gotten round to this, yet. I've read mixed reviews on this.
To be fair I think you liked Parenthood WAY more than I did, tho, too.

In other news, I'm still hoping that Nashville crashes and burns this season.
So that Herskovits & Zwick are free to make their own show from scratch.
vincentstuntdbl#23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-16, 10:09 PM   #18
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Sandi, how did you think the mother handled her weight problem early in her life? Was she trying to help or did she make it worse?
Her mother was trying to help and stressed that she wanted Kate to be healthy. She didn't stress being thin -- she stressed being healthy and that, IMO, is the best approach. Kate's mother trying to help her make better choices is what a mother is supposed to do and she took the time to make sure there was something appealing for Kate to eat and prepared it for her.

But, we really haven't seen enough to know whether or not her mother's efforts helped or hurt.

Additionally, her mother's actions may have been in response to Kate coming home from school in tears because the other children made fun of her. We haven't seen that happen, but I bet you it did.

Kate definitely has a problem and it's not the amount of weight she's carrying. Kate's unhappy with her weight and appearance and that is Kate's problem. She has a poor self-image.

Old 10-03-16, 06:04 PM   #19
KevinNU7
Pushes the Button

I'm on the fence with this show. I'm not really into dramas but my wife is and I caught the pilot with her. The twists and playing the 80s vs modern at the same time have me interested for now.

Do you think they will play in this two time period view for a long time or will this be a season 1 concept and then going forward the show will take place in modern times only? What do you they the should do?
KevinNU7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-16, 06:52 PM   #20
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
The twists and playing the 80s vs modern at the same time have me interested for now.
Me too, Kevin -- however -- the actors/actresses are delivering fine performances, making their characters vulnerable which causes the audience (including me) to care about them.

Quote:
Do you think they will play in this two time period view for a long time or will this be a season 1 concept and then going forward the show will take place in modern times only? What do you they the should do?
That's a great question. I think it depends on how much TPTB reveals this first season. If, for example, they keep the dad's absence a mystery until season 2 and focus on the children with him in the picture during season 1, then I think it will continue to work going forward. Season 2 could give us some answers about him and maybe the children's lives in a one parent household before introducing a step-father to the picture. IMO, that's the route they should take. (Of course, they may have a better scenario up their sleeves. ) What do you think?

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »