Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > sleeping issues

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 04-18-17, 12:56 AM   #11
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Re: sleeping issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
I've had very similar issues over the last year or so.

When I was younger I had trouble falling asleep, now I have no problem falling asleep, but often wake up at 3 or 4 and have trouble getting back to sleep. I think most meds are designed to help you fall asleep but that isn't my problem.

I used to be able to sleep through anything, but now the slightest noise will wake me up.

To be honest, I just kind of accept it now. Not sure if it's stress or just getting old. I go to bed a little earlier than I used to so I can get some sleep before the inevitable early wake up. I'm also getting into work earlier than I ever did. Most days I'm in by 7.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything that helps.
my only issue with it is if i get up that early, i'm dragging by noon which doesn't work.

Little dog David, I must look like a fool.
I should've remembered you'd be forgetting my smell, well.
Give me a week or two to recapture my cool, I've got stories to tell
about how I snatched the devil's catch and out ran the hounds of hell.
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-17, 03:02 AM   #12
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

It's true that the pharmaceutical companies are out of control.

The thing is, ZoW, that that's exactly where your doc is supposed to step in and say something like, "I know you've seen ads for Ambien, and it's pretty trendy these days, but i think it's a bit of an extreme step from OTC to Ambien, why don't we try something a little gentler first?"

See what i mean?

J_C has some great suggestions too. Personally i tried them all and needed something prescription. Fortunately for me, my doctor gets his kickbacks somewhere else, and also i described the problems instead of requesting a specific brand name. Trazodone works great for me, helps with both getting to sleep and staying asleep. The only drawback is that i need 9 hours to sleep or i can't take it. If i get up any earlier it gives me a nasty hangover type effect. I get no help on those nights when i have fewer hours to sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-17, 06:37 AM   #13
Maturin
Loyaulté me lie
Hears the Whispers

ZoW. I've had about four hours of sleep over the past year. It pretty much sucks. I'm going to toss in: regular, strict bedtime-getting up schedule/dark room/as much fresh air and sunlight as you can work in. If your mind is still roaring at the end of the day, it may help to write it down (pencll and paper, not computer): lists/reminders/statements wrapping up the previous day & setting up the coming day. And I think there's something to those white noise machines -- the thunderstorm sounds help me.

I'm currently tying a silk scarf over my eyes at night so that I don't leap awake at dawn (helpful if you're falling asleep at 4 a.m.). It does seem to help, plus you kind of feel like a pirate at bedtime.

--> Jopt dis pit Tudel. <--
Maturin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-17, 12:01 PM   #14
9mile monster
Calls Ann Arbor weekly
Escapes the Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

To be honest, I just kind of accept it now. Not sure if it's stress or just getting old. I go to bed a little earlier than I used to so I can get some sleep before the inevitable early wake up. I'm also getting into work earlier than I ever did. Most days I'm in by 7.
As we age we start needing less sleep, however, I don't think we ever need less than 7 or 6 hours.
When you wake at night and are unable to fall back asleep you think I should get up and do something, but it is difficult to roll out of bed. It is easier to just lay there awake. Then thoughts start to ramble in your mind and that keeps you awake even more. Years ago I started to construct a tale I would tell myself so that I couldn't think about anything else. That usually helped me and I was fall asleep more easily. This worked because I would always fall asleep watching tv, yet go to bed and be awake. I figured I needed a distraction and I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod of Whiskers View Post
i specifically asked my doc about ambien as i had seen the ads on tv. i don't blame him for my jumping to that option. and mattie is correct, tho i pretty much trust my doc as on the level.
:-( That is why those prescription drugs adds have no place on public tv. Sorry it worked out roughly for you Zaph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
I use an air purifier. So I get the white noise and the air I'm sleeping in is cleaner.

Possible helps:
- Take a walk earlier in the day (approx. 2 miles)
- It is being posited that the glowing screens we stare at (phones, monitors, tv) should be abstained from like 3 hours before bedtime. You could look into that.
- How's the blood pressure?
- Are the pillows, mattress, teddy bear getting old? Losing support?
- Ever try using a body pillow (or a reasonable facsimile)? I did it once and have never stopped
- of course the usual: lessen caffiene, salt and sugar intake in general, don't eat or exercise 3 hours before.
Very good list to focus on. Blood pressure is an important factor, if it is up, then sleep is mos def not coming easily.
I used to want to be 7 of 9 from Star Trek, Next Generation. She was beautiful, but the reason I wanted to be her was that at the end of her day she would go to her box and plug in. Fall asleep immediately. That was the most appealing thing about that character. LOL
Old 04-18-17, 03:04 PM   #15
Zaphod of Whiskers
Stares Down Smokey

all good ideas guys, thanks

Old 04-18-17, 08:31 PM   #16
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Our bodies I think require as much sleep as they can get, but not in one stretch at all or entirely. We nap of course. Sometimes the brain just needs to shut down. Plus I think our waking up is a hold over from when we needed to be vigilant from predation or marauders. I rarely sleep solidly through the night. The first vivid dream and bam I'm awake. When I was way younger I could sleep and sleep. But I had fewer worries. Adulthood. What a chore.

When we were hunters and gatherers we'd get what we needed and then took a snooze. Farming ruined us. Crop raiders and feeding the livestock: a day long event. And even at night---that's why we had dogs.
Old 04-18-17, 08:36 PM   #17
Zaphod of Whiskers
Stares Down Smokey

i'd be great if i could work at a job where i could do a one hour nap, but sadly those are very few and far between. if i can get a nap in, i'm fine with only 5 hours of sleep at night.

eta: re the body pillow...i actually use 5 different pillows to adjust to different positions constantly. for some reason the past year my knees connecting bugs me, so i end up one between my legs, 2 under my head, one to hug onto, and usually one over my head. I'm a complicated dam sleeper.

Last edited by Zaphod of Whiskers; 04-18-17 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 11:42 PM   #18
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

zap, are you married ?
if so... well, an obvious solution is sex.. anything to release dopamine would help

yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-17, 03:42 AM   #19
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
It's true that the pharmaceutical companies are out of control.

The thing is, ZoW, that that's exactly where your doc is supposed to step in and say something like, "I know you've seen ads for Ambien, and it's pretty trendy these days, but i think it's a bit of an extreme step from OTC to Ambien, why don't we try something a little gentler first?"

See what i mean?
A majority of patients in the United States visited a doctor who received payments from drug companies, but most have no clue about it, according to a new Drexel University study.

About 65 percent of those surveyed as a part of the study by Genevieve Pham-Kanter, PhD, an assistant professor in Drexel's Dornsife School of Public Health, visited a doctor within the last year who had received payments or gifts from pharmaceutical or medical device companies. What's more: Only 5 percent of those surveyed knew that their doctor had received such payments.

"These findings tell us that if you thought that your doctor was not receiving any money from industry, you're most likely mistaken," Pham-Kanter said. "Patients should be aware of the incentives that their physicians face that may lead them to not always act in their patients' best interest. And the more informed patients are about their providers and options for care, the better decisions they can make."

Pham-Kanter's study, published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine and done jointly with collaborators at Stanford and Harvard universities, was funded by the Greenwall Foundation. The study's investigators conducted a nationally representative survey of more than 3,500 adults and linked their doctors to data from Open Payments, a government website that reports pharmaceutical and device industry payments to physicians.

Open Payments was set up as part of the Physician Payment Sunshine Act, a provision of the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), in the effort to make industry payment information publicly available and transparent. Pham-Kanter's survey was conducted in September and October 2014, shortly before Open Payments first began releasing data.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-17, 03:47 AM   #20
Mattie
Cons the Conman

And there are even more, many more, sickening studies out there showing that the higher the incentive paid to the doctor (generally $5,000 or higher), their rates of prescribing that particular brand name also increases, and brand name drugs in general. It's gross. The whole system is a farce, designed to recoup the costs of investigating, and proving the efficacy of the drug, while making the shareholders rich. That's all they care about.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »