Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > 13 Reasons Why - Netflix

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 03-29-17, 09:33 PM   #1
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

13 Reasons Why - Netflix

Series Premiere

All 13 Episodes released
Friday - March 31, 2017
Netflix

Description:
More:
13 Reasons Why, is the story of Hannah Baker, a young woman who takes her own life. Two weeks after her tragic death, a classmate named Clay finds a mysterious box on his porch. Inside the box are recordings made by Hannah -- on whom Clay had a crush -- in which she explains the 13 reasons why she chose to commit suicide. If Clay decides to listen to the recordings, he will find out if and how he made the list. This intricate and heart-wrenching tale is told through Clay and Hannah's dual narratives. Source

Cast
  • Dylan Minnette as Clay Jensen
  • Katherine Langford as Hannah Baker
  • Brandon Flynn as Justin Foley
  • Christian Navarro as Tony
  • Alisha Boe as Jessica Davis
  • Michelle Selene Ang as Courtney Crimsen
  • Justin Prentice as Bryce Walker
  • Devin Druid as Tyler Down
  • Miles Heizer as Alex Standall
  • Ross Butler as Zach Dempsey
  • Sosie Bacon as Skye Miller
  • Kate Walsh as Mrs. Baker
  • Derek Luke as Mr. Porter
  • Brian D'Arcy James as Andy Baker
  • Henry Zaga as Brad
  • Amy Hargreaves as Lainie Jensen
  • Steven Silver as Marcus Cooley
  • Tommy Dorfman as Ryan Shaver

Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-17, 06:50 PM   #2
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: 13 Reasons Why - Netflix

Because we're dealing with a series where the first season will be dumped tomorrow (03/31/17), you'll have to post all of your comments with spoiler tags. But, I've got an idea.

After watching the first episode, I'm sure some of you are going to want to marathon the rest of the season. And, this is where the tags will come into play.

I'll post an episode separator for the first episode, will use it accordingly. Three days later, I'll post a separator for episode-two. Three days after that, the next episode, and so-on-and-so-forth, until we're finished.

How does that sound?
Old 03-30-17, 07:06 PM   #3
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Because we're dealing with a series where the first season will be dumped tomorrow (03/31/17), you'll have to post all of your comments with spoiler tags. But, I've got an idea.

After watching the first episode, I'm sure some of you are going to want to marathon the rest of the season. And, this is where the tags will come into play.

I'll post an episode separator for the first episode, will use it accordingly. Three days later, I'll post a separator for episode-two. Three days after that, the next episode, and so-on-and-so-forth, until we're finished.

How does that sound?
Sounds like a plan. Just so I understand you're saying that once you post the first episode separator we can comment on the first episode without spoiler tags. Once you post the second episode separator, we can comment on the first and second episode without spoiler tags, etc.

If anyone feels the need to disobey your orders () and comment on an episode ahead of schedule, they should use spoiler tags. Is that right?
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-17, 09:16 PM   #4
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
Sounds like a plan. Just so I understand you're saying that once you post the first episode separator we can comment on the first episode without spoiler tags. Once you post the second episode separator, we can comment on the first and second episode without spoiler tags, etc...
Exactly right, Nsguy!

Also, don't forget the 3 days between episode-separators.

Quote:
...If anyone feels the need to disobey your orders () and comment on an episode ahead of schedule, they should use spoiler tags. Is that right?
Expect, The Wrath of Khan. Just kidding!

From what I've heard, this series is the next best thing to sliced bread. I just want to make sure we're able to discuss the goings on like other series.

Also, if you or anyone has a better way to do this, or has a change or two, just post it here.

I'm ready for this one!

ETA: I'll post the first separator around 9:00am EST, 12:00pm PDT, 03/31/17. The 3 days will start from there.

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 03-30-17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-31-17, 06:12 PM   #5
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E01 - "Tape 1, Side A"
Friday - March 31, 2017
Netflix

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

As the school mourns the death of Hannah Baker, her friend Clay receives a box of tapes with messages she recorded before she committed suicide. Source
Old 04-01-17, 06:27 PM   #6
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

I'll be back once more of you have seen this first episode.
Old 04-02-17, 03:35 AM   #7
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

So you're going to keep this on one thread with landmarks that indicate when episode-specific spoiler-free commentary can start? If this is correct press 1. If this is incorrect press 2. And we shouldn't look for separate threads as in the Sense8 experience. This is fine by me, if I'm interpreting things correctly. I guess what I would like is someone to post a blazing burning fiery neon sign that says when the episode-specific spoiler-free-ness can begin. Someone's three days is not another person's three days. Or can I assume that 9am EST on April 3rd is when red-blooded commentary can commence? I'd prefer permission. I feel my inner high school pre-adult swimming to the surface.

I've watched the first episode and may watch more before the landmark's erected.

SENSE8 SEASON2 ALL EPISODE RELEASE FRIDAY MAY 5
boonian androphile is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-17, 02:09 PM   #8
nsguy
Cons the Conman

I think we can comment away on the first episode (Hodge if I'm wrong - feel free to spoiler tag my comments below).

Interesting concept, a teenager commits suicide, but before she does she records 13 tapes about 13 people who were the reasons why she killed herself.

It was a little bit teenage angsty for me, but I thought the first episode was very high quality and definitely good enough for me to stick around for a few more episodes. I did like the Clay, the main character, a socially awkward young guy who has trouble fitting in, completely relatable. Will be interesting to see what he did to make Hannah's list.

A couple of thoughts on who the other people/reasons will be:
  • Tony - the guy who likes 80s music and older cars. He knows about the tapes and was probably the one who passed them along to Clay. The first episode alternated between making Tony look like a nice guy and look psycho - was he the one that almost hit Clay with the car?
  • The huggy asian girl. Didn't catch her name but the fact that she dialogue and a couple of scenes leads me to believe she'll be one of the reasons.
  • Hannah's mother - she seemed very protective of Hannah - probably something else going on there too.
  • Maybe the teacher?

I knew as soon as I heard Joy Division - the show would be for Hodge.
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-17, 03:27 PM   #9
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Very good nsguy. I guess I'll follow your lead.

First episode:

I like Clay and Hannah and I like the actors who play them. But the vast majority of the supporting players for me don't keep up and often wander into bad crowd mode. It's as though they're in on the joke. I mean beyond receiving data on their phones. And a lot of them say dumb things. The only extra I even respected was the guy who begged the teacher to quit talking about the incident after a week because it's so depressing. I think his statement is actually important because it's that kind of speaking out that all (these) kids need to do to promote their own selfness. And in this first episode I wonder if Hannah could have just spoken in this way she could have chosen another route.

As for the teenage angst thing, sure. But sometimes teenage angst written by adults. Which is why I don't think they got the extras right. But Hannah on her tape sometimes annoyed me with her Now I'll Fix You tone. I'm not saying that her feelings aren't valid, but you got to wonder about her psychological certainty if she chose to be dead and to inflict the world with her vengeful wrath at the same time.

Clay's difficulty in retroing back to pre-file technology was amusing. I think the tape method was also a way to suggest that while technology's a blast, it can also be used as a weapon. To me it just means that people who are automatically heinous can be so with the merest insto-click. I think this sort of gossip would have been discussed over the phone or in person just as easily and then just as willingly thrown back in Hannah's face.

Since you mention Tony, his appearance as some sort of harbinger of doom bothers me a bit. I think I would have preferred generally more scenes like Clay sitting on the bench just listening (and then maybe have some memory moments bounce off when relevant) or Hannah composing the tape from her desk or wherever (and experiencing memory moments as well). For both of them, these memories would probably be more jagged than the show presents. What we get is more like flashbacks, which now in 2016/17 seem a little conventional.

I liked the scene where Clay gets bumped from his bike and suffers that nasty head injury. That's pretty symbolic of how he feels upon learning of Hannah's death and when he receives and starts listening to the tape.

A good show. I've already watched episode 2. I can't wait to comment on that.

SENSE8 SEASON2 ALL EPISODE RELEASE FRIDAY MAY 5
boonian androphile is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-17, 09:43 PM   #10
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
So you're going to keep this on one thread with landmarks that indicate when episode-specific spoiler-free commentary can start? If this is correct press 1. If this is incorrect press 2. And we shouldn't look for separate threads as in the Sense8 experience...
BA, if we get the discussion we got in the "original" Sense8 thread, I'll definitely turn this thread into a "forum".

Quote:
...Interesting concept, a teenager commits suicide, but before she does she records 13 tapes about 13 people who were the reasons why she killed herself.

It was a little bit teenage angsty for me, but I thought the first episode was very high quality and definitely good enough for me to stick around for a few more episodes. I did like the Clay, the main character, a socially awkward young guy who has trouble fitting in, completely relatable. Will be interesting to see what he did to make Hannah's list...
Nsguy, I immediately got a After School Break vibe as well.

Honestly, the episode fell short for that reason alone IMO.

Quote:
...A couple of thoughts on who the other people/reasons will be:
  • Tony - the guy who likes 80s music and older cars. He knows about the tapes and was probably the one who passed them along to Clay. The first episode alternated between making Tony look like a nice guy and look psycho - was he the one that almost hit Clay with the car?
  • The huggy asian girl. Didn't catch her name but the fact that she dialogue and a couple of scenes leads me to believe she'll be one of the reasons.
  • Hannah's mother - she seemed very protective of Hannah - probably something else going on there too.
  • Maybe the teacher?
You know Nsguy, I assumed Tony passed the tapes along as well, but remember, he told Clay he wasn't on the tapes. So, why would he get them in the first place?

The "huggy Asian girl", we all knew them in high school, not "huggy Asian girl", but people who smile in your face, and talk behind your back. I definitely think she's on the tapes.

Kate Walsh, who plays her mother, said she fought hard to get the role, so I feel she's going to have a lot to say. Parents are always the last to know.

I got a bad vibe from the teacher too. Did he have an illicit affair with Hannah?

Quote:
...I knew as soon as I heard Joy Division - the show would be for Hodge.

Quote:
...First episode:

I like Clay and Hannah and I like the actors who play them. But the vast majority of the supporting players for me don't keep up and often wander into bad crowd mode. It's as though they're in on the joke. I mean beyond receiving data on their phones. And a lot of them say dumb things. The only extra I even respected was the guy who begged the teacher to quit talking about the incident after a week because it's so depressing. I think his statement is actually important because it's that kind of speaking out that all (these) kids need to do to promote their own selfness. And in this first episode I wonder if Hannah could have just spoken in this way she could have chosen another route...
I liked Dylan Minnette and Katherine Langford, Clay and Hannah respectively too, especially the Hannah character.

I've got no idea her actual age, but she's playing the perfect teenager. Smart, but totally innocent of the world. Accepting everyone as a friend with no boundaries.

Hannah called Clay out that scene in the theater. "You're really a nerd!" No idea how to talk to girls, but has a strong crush on a "girl friend".

As far as the maddening crowd, I thought they were perfectly played. Only carrying about their phones and what people say on them. Man, do I remember "clicks"!

Quote:
...But Hannah on her tape sometimes annoyed me with her Now I'll Fix You tone. I'm not saying that her feelings aren't valid, but you got to wonder about her psychological certainty if she chose to be dead and to inflict the world with her vengeful wrath at the same time...
I understand exactly what you're saying, but I didn't pick up on it.

Yeah, sometimes it's hard talking face-to-face with another person, but suck it up. Especially, like you point out, 'I'm going to get my revenge by committing suicide'.

Quote:
...Clay's difficulty in retroing back to pre-file technology was amusing. I think the tape method was also a way to suggest that while technology's a blast, it can also be used as a weapon. To me it just means that people who are automatically heinous can be so with the merest insto-click. I think this sort of gossip would have been discussed over the phone or in person just as easily and then just as willingly thrown back in Hannah's face...
And this is why I'll continue to watch.

This is such a "touchy subject", everyone, especially those with teenage children should watch this series. I can't imagine what I missed while my girls were teenagers.

Quote:
...I think I would have preferred generally more scenes like Clay sitting on the bench just listening (and then maybe have some memory moments bounce off when relevant) or Hannah composing the tape from her desk or wherever (and experiencing memory moments as well). For both of them, these memories would probably be more jagged than the show presents. What we get is more like flashbacks, which now in 2016/17 seem a little conventional...
I got the impression this is exactly how the series is going to run. Remember, Hannah suggested the "tape listener" follow the map as well as listen to the tapes.

ETA: Nsguy, I heard the soundtrack will be part of the story of Hannah's relationships and suicide. "Love Will Tear Us Apart".

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 04-02-17 at 09:46 PM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »