Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > 13 Reasons Why - Netflix

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 04-06-17, 11:51 PM   #21
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Re: 13 Reasons Why - Netflix

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonian androphile View Post
...meanwhile:

red car hallucination? or was it there and left by the time Clay made it out the door?
I'm not sure if the car was there or not.

You mentioned above, how Tony is following Clay around town, so it may've been real.

It's obvious Tony is knee deep in this stuff. And, I'm still trying to figure out how he listened to the tapes while admitting he's not on them.

Quote:
...But this moment infuriates me to where I want to punch mom in the mouth. you don't spring a bottle of pills on someone just because someone else did something and certainly without that person's permission. I don't care if he is a minor. Why don't you force him into therapy while you're at it? totally unacceptable. it's almost abuse...
Well, the father was definitely on your side, BA. He scolded the mother for the reasons you mentioned.

I'd be curious to know what the prescription was for?

Quote:
...the locker shrine I find weird. a fake sort of grieving. what one does according to tradition...
What I'm still finding strange, was the reception by the mother that the locker was empty of pics and such. Young girls always have pics of the latest heart-throb taped to their locker.

I'm trying to remember what Mr. Porter told the parents, but I still feel he knows more than he's letting on. I don't know why Mr. Porter having a teacher/student affair is stuck in my head.

Quote:
...there's a scene I like. it's where Clay and Hannah sit outside during lunch on two cinema seats surrounded by a mural. Their conversation seems to collapse. Hannah snaps at Clay I think pretty unreasonably. Clay can't find the right words or even very many words to fulfill Hannah's demands for---something? Hannah. if you want someone to be your friend, don't treat that person like others are treating you...
This scene was where she asked Clay if she was as pretty as Jessica. This had nothing to do with Clay and everything to do with Hannah being a teenage girl.

Quote:
...the part where everyone is at Bryce's is not specifically bad but it's where i'd prefer that the story stay more with the principles. this is where I want more of the story perceived and told through Clay and Hannah. the scene may be important per se, but... maybe if someone we had seen Jessica listening to the tapes, even as a glimpse, then I think the structure of wandering away from the principles could be more justified...
BA, I understand what you're saying.

And, although I hate that Justin let all of his friends hear the tapes, it makes perfect sense. Boys will be boys!

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 04-07-17 at 08:08 PM.
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-17, 11:58 PM   #22
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E03 - "Tape 2, Side A"
Friday - March 31, 2017
Netflix

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

Jealousy and gossip cause Hannah's relationships to begin to fray; Alex struggles with regret; the guys pressure Clay into getting drunk. Source
Old 04-07-17, 05:37 AM   #23
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

Location: toronto pride. with trudeau. i mean i wish i was...

The first time through I hated this episode. This time through, I like it more.

Bryce right away comes off as the kingpin of the teenage mafia.

Memorial posters and flowers and junk: fake and simply part of the social construct. If I was Hannah's friend, I'd be mad at her. Not falling into the habit of rituals.

Gloomy Sunday. There's a great film with this title. And it references the same concept. It's the legendary song that, according to legend, causes more suicides than any other. Anyway, the movie's way more serious than that.

Graffiti on the bathroom walls. It's seems like the printed out comments section of a internet site. What I'm saying is that it's the norm. Teach your kids to have tough skin at an early age.

I hated the discussion between principle and counselor. It seemed so out of place and irrelevant to this particular chapter.

A better scene is where Alex lingers at the movie and Hannah and Clay almost can't get rid of him fast enough so that they can climb on the roof and watch the moon do its thing. It's a nice scene on the roof between the two of them.

Another good scene is where Hannah and Clay are having lunch. They talk about fast-forwarding through high school. Hannah has a good line: You and the point are complete strangers. What's good about the line is this expectation by Hannah that everyone (in their teen years especially) should know what's what and should be perfectly in tune to her wave length. If she's experiencing social isolation, and hates it, she does a lot to be her own worst enemy.

One side thought: There is this trend lately in shows or films to depict the body parts of male characters in high school locker rooms. The actors I'm sure are adults but the characters are not. So I wonder. I've seen this elsewhere as I said. Maybe this show is doing this deliberately here because Hannah barges in to confront Alex and walks right past all the guys without noticing them much I guess. Alex is of course the one who feels naked.

Since Clay was a witness to the above scene, and soon he returns to where he's thinking about that past locker room event, it totally makes sense to me to have Alex there motionless on the bench, trapped in thought that can't seem to go anywhere. This is so much a better use of secondary characters than other scenes in this episode in fact where point of view and perspective are changed far too much.

Clay meets Skye at the café. A nice scene between them. Clay is able to pick up a conversation from their mutual past---with a little help from Skye. The actress who plays Skye is the daughter of Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick. This reminds that long ago, a kid version of Dylan Minette played David Shepard in season 6 of Lost. Jack's parallel universe son.

Jessica's party is mentioned. Clay goes into a memory surge. I wish there were more of these moments. It's a better depiction of memory.

At Monets, Alex alludes to Clay's tape. Clay says he's only on Alex's. It's funny that Alex chides Clay for taking so long. Alex listened to the tapes twice. What does that mean? Based on Alex's demeanor this episode, I say the tapes struck a deep nerve.

Another better structure moment: where Tony and Mrs Baker walk into the café while Clay and Alex are there.

Bryce grabbing Hannah's ass in the store. Teenage mafia don in action!

Clay drinking with the crowd is unsettling. Clay almost immediately knows this himself. But is more irked at Tony for just showing up. While drunk on his bike Clay follows Tony and witnesses a bit of violence on Tony's part.

A very good scene is where Alex lets himself fall into the pool. He just seems to float away.

boonian androphile is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-17, 08:08 PM   #24
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
...Bryce right away comes off as the kingpin of the teenage mafia...
I remember at the ceremony in the other episode, he was like, captain of the football team, President of the Student Body, and some other stuff too. Plus, his family is apparently rich and don't care that he's friends (Justin) hasn't been going to school.

My parents would've put me on the "outs" with the mafia. First, they would've called Justin's parents and told them he's ditching school. Then, they would've told me to stop hanging with a looser.

Quote:
...Memorial posters and flowers and junk: fake and simply part of the social construct. If I was Hannah's friend, I'd be mad at her. Not falling into the habit of rituals...
Curious whether the Asian girl is doing this all on her own because she's on the tapes? Remember what Hannah's mother said, "A friend would know Hannah hated roses. Cliche!"

Quote:
...Graffiti on the bathroom walls. It's seems like the printed out comments section of a internet site. What I'm saying is that it's the norm. Teach your kids to have tough skin at an early age...
Easier said than done.

Remember what Hannah told Clay when he thought the list was a good thing. "It said you had a great, ***." "You're not a girl, Clay!"

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the sentiment, but we're dealing with teenage angst. And, on top of that, teenage "girl" angst.

Quote:
...I hated the discussion between principle and counselor. It seemed so out of place and irrelevant to this particular chapter...
What did Mr. Porter take out of that binder?

Quote:
...A better scene is where Alex lingers at the movie and Hannah and Clay almost can't get rid of him fast enough so that they can climb on the roof and watch the moon do its thing. It's a nice scene on the roof between the two of them...
I thought so too.

Clay is such cliche. To shy to tell Hannah how he feels, even when she was coming on to him. He had no clue!

Quote:
...Another good scene is where Hannah and Clay are having lunch. They talk about fast-forwarding through high school. Hannah has a good line: You and the point are complete strangers. What's good about the line is this expectation by Hannah that everyone (in their teen years especially) should know what's what and should be perfectly in tune to her wave length. If she's experiencing social isolation, and hates it, she does a lot to be her own worst enemy...
Maybe Hannah is to uptight, but Clay is a complete dweeb.

It's like he has no problems in his life. His parents are the greatest two people on the face of the Earth, and his dog loves him.

The only problem he has, he likes a girl and has no idea how to tell her. And, I admit, this happens to a lot of guys in high school, I've just never understood it.

You tell a girl you like her. If she says she doesn't like you, you move on to the next one. Just like Chick Hern used to say while calling a Lakers game. "No harm, no foul!"

Quote:
...Jessica's party is mentioned. Clay goes into a memory surge. I wish there were more of these moments. It's a better depiction of memory...
That's where Alex tried to have sex with Jessica, right?

This is strange. Not that any girl doesn't have to right to say "no", but it seems like Justin, and how he's depicted, probably doesn't except the idea of a girl saying "no".

Quote:
...At Monets, Alex alludes to Clay's tape. Clay says he's only on Alex's. It's funny that Alex chides Clay for taking so long. Alex listened to the tapes twice. What does that mean? Based on Alex's demeanor this episode, I say the tapes struck a deep nerve...
This is the second time it's been noted that Clay is a slow listener. Remember, Tony told him the same thing.

Quote:
...Clay drinking with the crowd is unsettling. Clay almost immediately knows this himself. But is more irked at Tony for just showing up. While drunk on his bike Clay follows Tony and witnesses a bit of violence on Tony's part...
What in the HELL was that about? That was a complete beat-down, with the help from his friends. Looked almost like a gang initiation.

Quote:
...A very good scene is where Alex lets himself fall into the pool. He just seems to float away.
This actually scared me. Bryce and Justin are play fighting and Alex is drowning. What friends!

Last edited by Hodgepodge; 04-12-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-08-17, 08:22 PM   #25
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

S01E04 - "Tape 2, Side B"
Friday - March 31, 2017
Netflix

Spoiler: Promo & Episode Description

Hannah thinks someone is stalking her and sets a trap. Hannah's mother confronts the principal, and Clay strikes back at someone who wronged Hannah. Source
Old 04-08-17, 08:51 PM   #26
brdmom
Not bird, not bored...
Carries Big Stick

I haven't read any of this thread except the first few posts with the rules, but I'm jumping in to say my 14 year old son started watching this today, and he's already on episode 4. He said lots of kids at school are watching. I'm planning on starting tonight.
gurufrisbee posted on FB that he thought this was one of the best things he's ever seen.
I'm looking forward to it! (Especially since I only have two episodes left of This is Us.)
brdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-17, 09:24 PM   #27
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

brdmom:

I hope your son and you enjoy this. The first time through I had (picky adult me) problems with maybe half of it. Or more. The second time watching the show I find it's growing on me. It's more intelligent than at first glimpse. And the two leads are splendid.

hodge:

maybe you could do a favor for brdmom and save her spaces after each episode if she wants to comment. but if there's enough later action, maybe the episodes will have to be broken up anyway. it's up to you. i'm just suggestin'.

this will likely be hodge's response to me:

Old 04-10-17, 07:53 PM   #28
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdmom View Post
I haven't read any of this thread except the first few posts with the rules, but I'm jumping in to say my 14 year old son started watching this today, and he's already on episode 4. He said lots of kids at school are watching. I'm planning on starting tonight.
gurufrisbee posted on FB that he thought this was one of the best things he's ever seen.
I'm looking forward to it! (Especially since I only have two episodes left of This is Us.)
Brdmom, I'm with BA, in hoping you and your son enjoy the series.

As I mentioned in a previous post, everyone, especially parents with teenage children, should watch this series.

Quote:
...hodge:

maybe you could do a favor for brdmom and save her spaces after each episode if she wants to comment. but if there's enough later action, maybe the episodes will have to be broken up anyway. it's up to you. i'm just suggestin'.

this will likely be hodge's response to me:
I can look into that, but I don't think she'd be able to take control of the "space" (post), edit, and make her comments.

If she'd like to make her comments (posts), noting where they belong, I could move them to the appropriate episode. Then, because we have "edit" privileges, we could also move our responses to that same episode.
Old 04-10-17, 08:20 PM   #29
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

maybe that all depends on when brdmom and anyone else will be ready to post. this may be one of those shows that picks up steam much later than say stranger things or sense8. another solution is a brdmom (or anyone) first viewing thread that can be integrated later, or not. it could stand alone. if enough people would also post, my solution would to break up the episodes. especially since most of the episodes center around a third character who had interactions with Hannah earlier and who Clay learns about or more about in the present.

also adding that i'd gladly help with moving posts to the proper episodes if that ends up being the route taken. i'd be scared i'd flub up, but i could try it.

Old 04-11-17, 04:42 PM   #30
brdmom
Not bird, not bored...
Carries Big Stick

I'm nearly caught up, so don't do anything special for me. I just finished Episode 3 - Tape 2, Side A.

Bryce - awful. And clearly those boys are deep into something.

I am enjoying this series quite a bit, and it's fun to be sharing a show with my son although he's not totally interested in delving into the mysteries and the teenage angst. I guess being a 14 year old boy will do that to you.

Ugh - the memorials. All those kids who didn't give Hannah the time of day wanting to show their "grief".
brdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »