Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > A brand new(i guess) personal theory!

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 04-12-17, 09:22 PM   #1
Ab_Aeterno
Arrives By Sub

A brand new(i guess) personal theory!

Hey guys, i don't know if there's is someone here, since the show ended back in 2010...Anyway, a few hours ago i was reading Novalis, a german poet, mystic, and philosopher. There was a quote from him that got me thinking about Lost. Here we go:

The spirit of God floats on the waters and a celestial island will be made visible first as the abode of the new men, as the basin of eternal life on the waves that flow.

My thoughts after reading this were: The island of Lost is the first piece of land that God created in the beggining. That would be an explanation for the mysterious "energy" from the heart of the island.

An abode for the new men? It means the island is the actual garden of the eden? Therefore, we have an explanation for the devil, who's disguised in different forms in order to make them to leave the "paradise". Like the MiB tried to do with Richard, Jack, and so on...

I don't know if i am the first person to notice this, but i was really impressed at the time i was reading this paragraph.
Ab_Aeterno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-14-17, 11:13 PM   #2
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

Re: A brand new(i guess) personal theory!

I don't see a theory there.
The most important thread you probably haven't read has been summarized excellently. Take a little time and read the summary, starting at the post linked here: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...63#post3741663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maturin View Post
I've always appreciated your restraint, Mo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-17, 02:34 AM   #3
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
Why is the following not considered a theory?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab_Aeterno View Post
The spirit of God floats on the waters and a celestial island will be made visible first as the abode of the new men, as the basin of eternal life on the waves that flow.

My thoughts after reading this were: The island of Lost is the first piece of land that God created in the beggining. That would be an explanation for the mysterious "energy" from the heart of the island.

An abode for the new men? It means the island is the actual garden of the eden? Therefore, we have an explanation for the devil, who's disguised in different forms in order to make them to leave the "paradise". Like the MiB tried to do with Richard, Jack, and so on
Old 04-15-17, 04:38 AM   #4
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

I didn't say it wasn't a theory, and i didn't move it out of t&s.

I said i didn't see it.

I think it looks more like a bit of speculation... which is still okay here.

Theories tend to be more articulated.
The most important thread you probably haven't read has been summarized excellently. Take a little time and read the summary, starting at the post linked here: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...63#post3741663

Quote:
Quote:
Mo, I you
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

Old 04-15-17, 07:03 PM   #5
Ab_Aeterno
Arrives By Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post

Yes it is. Read it again. In Lost they've never explained what the Island is, so maybe this paragraph gives us a new perspective.

I think it's enough information for us to making a theory :

Quote:
The island of Lost is the first piece of land that God created in the beggining. That would be an explanation for the mysterious "energy" from the heart of the island.

An abode for the new men? It means the island is the actual garden of the eden? Therefore, we have an explanation for the devil, who's disguised in different forms in order to make them to leave the "paradise". Like the MiB tried to do with Richard, Jack, and so on...

Last edited by Ab_Aeterno; 04-15-17 at 07:07 PM.
Ab_Aeterno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-17, 07:13 PM   #6
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

its not original at all really.

do a google search. Lost island, garden of eden

there are quite a few results :

http://godspam.blogspot.ca/2008/05/lost-theories-is-island-eden.html
or

then there's the entire "our own adam and eve" thing with the bodies in the caves

this was probably one of the first island theories

I like this allusion best

Quote:
Revelation 9:2-3
He opened the bottomless pit, and smoke went up out of the pit, like the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by the smoke of the pit. Then out of the smoke came locusts upon the earth, and power was given them, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

then there's the LIGHT IN ALL MEN.. the very words spoken by "mother"about the source

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Across_the_Sea
Quote:
She tells them they must never enter the cave. The Boy in Black says that it is beautiful, she agrees and tells them that a little bit of the same light that is in the cave is inside every man but that people always want more. Mother says that while the other people can't take the light, they might try and if the light goes out here it goes out everywhere.
how it relates is obvious
Quote:
Through Him all things were made, and without Him nothing was made that has been made. 4In Him was life, and that life was the light of men.
5 The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.…
like Mo said, if your going to bring it. BRING IT.

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because what happened, happened" : yung23

"That's pretty cool. You manipulated the physical universe such that Damon Lindelof said the word "fermions" on national television." :#station

"Then I saw thrones, and people seated on them who were given authority to judge."

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them...."

Last edited by yung23; 04-16-17 at 08:19 PM.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-17, 08:01 PM   #7
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

The bodies in the cave were Rose and Bernard. Jack said they had been dead for about 40 years, if you will recall. Not sure how it works out with the timelines and the bomb, except to say that all the bomb did was stop the temporal shifting and put everyone back into normal time except, for some reason, those two. We lost sight of that during the show run because we assumed that the "waiting room" was an alternate reality created by the bomb.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-17, 03:27 AM   #8
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Carries Big Stick

Rose and Bernie didn't want to go back, and they didn't have to. Choice was a major theme in LOST, as was wish fulfillment. Sure, their bodies became Jack's "Adam and Eve," but even if we pretend that that wasn't a retcon, and look at LOST as internally consistent, it still doesn't invalidate yung's point at all, which is that the idea of LOST island as the Garden of Eden is practically cliche.

ETA: In fact, that retcon might have been added to help devalue the very speculation advanced by the OP. People wanted to know about "Adam and Eve," and TPTB gave them an answer, and that answer was NOT "Adam and Eve." The answer was "Bernie and Rose."

Not only that, but the narrative didn't go there. It might have made a possible theory when there were still episodes to air, but 7 years later it goes right next to Purgatory theories. Both have a little bit of straw to scratch together, but neither really goes all that far toward explaining any lingering mysteries or even explaining what was plainly seen.

Traditionally, "the devil" is supposed to be Lucifer Morningstar, fallen angel, right? Well, i don't see MiB/smoky in that role... does anybody else think he is?

Quote:
Quote:
Mo, I you

Last edited by Mr Mo; 04-17-17 at 03:30 AM.
Old 04-17-17, 07:44 AM   #9
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Bernard and Rose can't be a retcon because of Jack's first season pronouncement that the bodies were "roughly 40 years old". If we take it as a given that TPTB were planning on eventually providing an identity of the two bodies, even if it was not those two specifically at the time of writing the episode, then the bodies in the cave can be written out of any Island Origin Scenarios.

Yes, we saw Jacob's mother and MiB's body in the same cave...but...Those three were speaking Latin, not really that old of a language. The arrivals were obviously Egyptian due to the statue they built, but they were not "classical Egyptian". They were dressed wrong and they had iron tools and weapons. The height of the Nile Civilization was during the Bronze Age, see my posts in the RIII thread in Lostaways for details. Likely they were from Ptolemaic Egypt, after the conquest of Alexander. This puts the time frame of the "Young Jacob" flashback to the latter first millennium BCE which is hardly "Garden of Eden" material. In short, TPTB offer very little concrete in terms of the island's origin. And that's fine. It does not need to be ultimately explained. To do so would probably make people's brains ooze out their ears and/or ruin the show's credibility even more than it already has been.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-17, 11:16 AM   #10
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

Quote:
The bodies in the cave were Rose and Bernard. Jack said they had been dead for about 40 years, if you will recall.
BC

nah
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »