Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Expanse - SyFy Wednesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 04-20-17, 12:26 PM   #111
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Re: The Expanse - SyFy Wednesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-o-my View Post
I think the actions of the Blue may depend on who it/he/she was originally but if it's one of the kids, likely it just wants to hide. The people trying to create weapons may have inserted some aggressive tendencies along with the protomolecule. But we can't be sure that the Blue chasing the soldiers that Bobbie's crew assumed were attacking them actually had harmful intent. It may even have been trying to help Bobbie before getting chased off.
Yes, I remain very intrigued by Bobbie's survival of the attack. Did the Blue warrior just leave her for dead? Or was it chased off as suggested? Or was it merely recalled at that point, its keepers satisfied with the "demo"?
Or is there something special about Sgt. Roberta Draper....?

Along with the idea that there is a child "inside", perhaps the warrior was fooled into attacking the soldiers; maybe its keepers led it to believe that the child's loved ones were in danger, that the UN and Martian marines were attacking Ganymede?

I haven't seen this latest episode so perhaps my speculation is for naught.

I heart this show something fierce.

J_C is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-17, 08:04 PM   #112
Pi-o-my
Pushes the Button

[QUOTE=J_C;3742035] I haven't seen this latest episode so perhaps my speculation is for naught. [QUOTE]

I think we've all been putting off watching this episode so we won't have to wait so long for the next one. Warning for those still stalling, spoilers for Caliban's War ahead.

Some of the tension-creation bits, like Bobbie in the elevator shaft and Naomi trusting Pax to toss the radioactive ball, felt unnecessary. This show has enough real tension without the cheap stuff.

The Blue was done quite well, sometimes looking more human, sometimes more like an animal, now and then like a humanoid alien. It didn't have the large head or eyes that I'd associate with a child, so maybe the transformation makes the children mature quickly in addition to weaponizing them. (Part of me is saying this with the hopes that Julie will have matured enough to be age-appropriate for Miller. )

There were some great conversations -- Amos and Naomi apologizing to each other, and Chrisjen and Cotyar behind the tipped table were standouts. Naomi spilling the beans about the protomolecule sample -- both what we knew already and what we didn't -- was perfectly edited, letting us see what Naomi was describing at exactly the right pace. And Strickland calmly packing up Mei for "sweet dreams" and whistling as he left was a terrific way to close out a season.
Pi-o-my is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-17, 09:15 PM   #113
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

How am I supposed to survive until next season?

So Mao apparently owned that "hotel", Crisjen or especially Cotyar should have anticipated that.
I could have watched Martian Girl throw Mao's guys around for another 20 minutes.
Is Fred gonna do something stupid? He's not gonna try and load some of that Blue onto the missiles he has, is he?

So there wasn't any foreshadowing in this embryonic pose here, right?

Probably just a coincidence.

And just what the frelling frak is going on here?

Spoiler: for dramatic effect

Old 04-28-17, 03:23 PM   #114
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
I bought Errinwright's seeming turn to the good side, sigh. I guess he did all that preparation sincerely, in case things didn't go as planned with the Martian ambassador. That was a terrific scene -- I got suspicious with those foregrounded shots of the "Scottish gold" so I was surprised when Errinwright polished off the drink, before he picked up the lethal -- what? futuristic version of a CD? -- gift..
When I saw Errinwright polish off that drink, I thought it was a murder-suicide situation. But then he explained about being able to target poison to specific DNA (or something like that) and I knew that the worm that he is, turned. Like you, I believe Errinwright started out intending to "fess up" to the council and take his punishment but then he saw a way around that -- as evil bad guys usually do. By eliminating the Martian buyer of the protomolecule tech, he can now hand-deliver a weapon to Earth that would ensure it's supremacy and safety. His only problem -- Chrisjen -- and we saw how he intended to deal with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
I need a memory refresher. I've lost track of the protomolecule, the Roci team hid among the debris in space. I recall Holden telling Naomi to send it into the sun and she faked doing so. Is it still sitting there where they originally left it?

Thoughts about the emerging blue life forces:[LIST][*]The Eros Station Crater on Venus -- Seems to me that Miller and Julie still exist in some form and is part of whatever is taking shape at the Crater site.[*]Recall Blue Julie didn't know what happened to her. She was trying to go home to earth as that was her last driving force before being compromised by the protomolecule.
RIGHT! At least I am really hoping they still exist. Thomas Jane is a great actor and is great as Det. Miller. I really hope the show has not lost him.
Hey! Welcome to mymedia topcat! Glad you joined our discussion. I want more Thomas Jane too and I do expect some form of Det. Miller to resurface (hopefully Thomas Jane will be along for the ride.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
Yes, I remain very intrigued by Bobbie's survival of the attack. Did the Blue warrior just leave her for dead? Or was it chased off as suggested? Or was it merely recalled at that point, its keepers satisfied with the "demo"?
Or is there something special about Sgt. Roberta Draper....?
As intriguing as that sounds, I don't think Bobbie had any "blue" about her, if you know what I mean. Two things -- Bobbie was close to death at that point and the Blue didn't see her as a risk. Also, the "keepers" did say they could control the Blues -- so more than likely they called it off. And didn't they want a survivor to give their version of the account?

Quote:
... And Strickland calmly packing up Mei for "sweet dreams" and whistling as he left was a terrific way to close out a season.
The container Mei was in was size appropriate for a child. The container the "Blue" escaped from was quite a bit larger. So, did they transfer the child-developed-into-a-Blue to another container or were the full-grown Blues we've seen earlier child-Blues and Mei (and her other lot) are still slowly developing in suspended animation pending sale to the highest bidder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_C View Post
And just what the frelling frak is going on here?

Spoiler: for dramatic effect
I think it's time dilation.
In the theory of relativity, time dilation is a difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from a gravitational mass or masses. source

We saw the same "cotton" floating in the air aboard the Venus ship right before the above scene as we did aboard the Eros Station when Miller was walking through it, suited up. I think the above scene is during the ship exploding and right before the protomolecule mass in the crator absorbs it and the people.

Back to Chrisjen -- What's her next play? Does she play dead and work behind the scenes or will she return to Earth (UN)?

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-17, 06:04 AM   #115
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Quote:
When I saw Errinwright polish off that drink, I thought it was a murder-suicide situation. But then he explained about being able to target poison to specific DNA (or something like that)...
The poison interacts with a medicine that Martians take to deal with Earth's gravity, which Errinwright wouldn't have in his system. It may or may not have been made to target the Martian; I took it that either way it wouldn't have harmed Errinwright.

Quote:
As intriguing as that sounds, I don't think Bobbie had any "blue" about her, if you know what I mean...And didn't they want a survivor to give their version of the account?
I didn't mean to imply that Bobbie might have some of the Blue in her. Only that it might be possible that the Blue guy had some form of discernment, that whatever humanity remains in a Blue caused it to not finish off Bobbie, because it saw that Bobbie had certain "exceptional qualities" (whatever they may be). I know, crazy speculation, but it's fun crazy speculation.
Did they want a survivor? I don't remember that being indicated, but I may have missed it. They had the video "demo", seems like that would inform them well enough.

Quote:
The container Mei was in was size appropriate for a child. The container the "Blue" escaped from was quite a bit larger. So, did they transfer the child-developed-into-a-Blue to another container or were the full-grown Blues we've seen earlier child-Blues and Mei (and her other lot) are still slowly developing in suspended animation pending sale to the highest bidder?
Certainly a plausible explanation to me. I'm sort of holding out that it may be that the connection between the kids and the Blue guys might be a "remote" connection, and that their bodies are separate, but that is probably wrong. I just think that the idea that the kids are actually physically turned into the Blue things is absolutely horrible and so maybe I am in some denial

Quote:
Back to Chrisjen -- What's her next play? Does she play dead and work behind the scenes or will she return to Earth (UN)?
Yes, what might be her strategy? More fun to think about:
She returns to Earth and Errinwright is in nothing but trouble. She can return, she isn't a fugitive of any kind.
What might she accomplish by going back to Earth, could she displace Errinwright? If she can, will that do anything to stop Mao?
If she doesn't go back, where will she go?
Mars? Doubtful.
The Belt? Hmmmmm.
Fred Johnson? Maybe, but what would be her reasoning for that? She doesn't really know how he fits into any of this.
Try to find James Holden/the Rocinante? That would be interesting.

Last edited by J_C; 04-29-17 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-29-17, 12:00 PM   #116
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Yes, what might be her strategy? More fun to think about:
She returns to Earth and Errinwright is in nothing but trouble. She can return, she isn't a fugitive of any kind.
What might she accomplish by going back to Earth, could she displace Errinwright? If she can, will that do anything to stop Mao?
I don't think Chrisjen is in a good position to return to Earth. Errinwright is going to be in power since he'll be the guy giving Earth Mao's big Blue weapon and since Chrisjen never shared his confession with anyone, he can claim anything he wants -- it's his word against hers and again -- he's got the weapon.

In addition, Errinwright ordered Mao to kill her. So, if Chrisjen tries to return to Earth, she would have to avoid Errinwright and Mao's hit-men (so to speak) and get to one of her trusted allies who might not have enough power to save her at this point.

I don't see how Chrisjen can immediately return to Earth without definitive evidence on Errinwright and Mao which casts them as the bad guys they are. Additionally, her scientist providing information from the Eros crash site on Venus is now dead or absorbed into the protomolecule based life forms on Venus along with Julie and Miller.

Chrisjen has reason to trust Fred Johnson and Holden, so I'm thinking her best bet lie with one or both of them.

Old 05-08-17, 02:17 AM   #117
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup View Post
One of the better finds of the season, IMO. Seems to be many potential layers to this story.
Quote:
Some of the tension-creation bits, like Bobbie in the elevator shaft and Naomi trusting Pax to toss the radioactive ball, felt unnecessary. This show has enough real tension without the cheap stuff.
Was the pause occurring between the Pax and the Blue intended as a possible recognition?
Quote:
definitive evidence on Errinwright and Mao which casts them as the bad guys they are.
Hasn't That already been done? Isn't he being brought before an "Inquisition", with Mao's complicity already known?

But what really interests me is this: The Epstein(?) Drive.
If he never came back from his first experimental trip, how does anyone know it happened? It certainly appeared he was on his own.
And what is it, exactly?
It's not speed-of-light, or space-folding , or going into hyper-space, or wormhole whatever. It just seems like going really, really, fast. But conventionally. So what is special about it?
Without any "juice", shouldn't it have killed him rather quickly?

It is the only sketchy part of what is overall a really solid show.

Old 05-12-17, 05:17 PM   #118
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
But what really interests me is this: The Epstein(?) Drive.
If he never came back from his first experimental trip, how does anyone know it happened? It certainly appeared he was on his own.
And what is it, exactly?
It's not speed-of-light, or space-folding , or going into hyper-space, or wormhole whatever. It just seems like going really, really, fast. But conventionally. So what is special about it?
Without any "juice", shouldn't it have killed him rather quickly?

It is the only sketchy part of what is overall a really solid show.
During the Epstein incident, it was mentioned that he left the designs for the drive for his wife. And most likely when he didn't return, an investigation of some kind took place which would show his craft with the drive being engaged and as soon as it accelerated beyond normal expectations and all tracking was lost, it would be highly suspected that the drive worked. They just wouldn't know why he didn't return.

My question is -- why show it at all? If TPTB wanted to introduce a drive of that nature, wouldn't it really be simple to show one scene of the Martians using it and someone saying something like -- thank goodness Epstein discovered .....(whatever it was).

Why take the trouble to show what happened?

And I think it was shown because it's going to tie into the protomolecule being introduced into our area of space.

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »