Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/Happy 2018!

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-17, 02:39 AM   #8251
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Re: What's New/The Postman Always Emails Once

I’m just wondering why this school is so hard up for math teachers. Not that I doubt your #winning personality Mrs. Vonnegut, but uh, they seem kinda rushing through this and really fast-tracking. Is there a reason they need teachers? Did you speak to any of the other teachers in the school?

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Old 09-26-17, 02:50 AM   #8252
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Iím just wondering why this school is so hard up for math teachers. Not that I doubt your #winning personality Mrs. Vonnegut, but uh, they seem kinda rushing through this and really fast-tracking. Is there a reason they need teachers? Did you speak to any of the other teachers in the school?
I was recruited by the other 6th grade math teacher, my best friend's husband.

Math teachers are in serious, serious demand, in most parts of the country and definitely in Virginia. There are lots of schools around here who have long-term subs right now because they can't find people qualified to teach it.

This school in particular is desperate because they're also an hour drive away from the city, out in the sticks, and most people don't want that commute.

Honestly I wouldn't travel out there, if not that I knew Sam (the bf's husband) and him telling me that he'll do all the planning and basically show me how to teach math... because I could get a job teaching math close to home, once I certify.
I just don't want to go in to a math teaching job without support, since all of my lesson training and ideas are in social studies.

I'll definitely have some decisions to make next year... as far as, to stick with this place, to try to take a math job close to home, or continue to go for what I want to do and try for a Social Studies job...

Old 09-26-17, 02:55 AM   #8253
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Kids generally hate math, girls especially, and their attention spans are awful in the 6th grade. I don’t think you’ll have a tough decision what to do next year...and DON’T let being best friends with whoever’s husband or whatever influence anything you do. Sad!

orson scott card
Old 09-26-17, 02:58 AM   #8254
Mattie
Cons the Conman

I really think you’re too intellectual for anything but 11th or 12th grade, tbh. When students are old enough to grasp interesting concepts and you can bounce ideas off of them and learn from each other. You seem like someone who will teach best and most efficiently with an interested classroom, so ideally a college professor on something you love. You should aim for that.

orson scott card
Old 09-26-17, 02:59 AM   #8255
scotpgot
bottle rockets
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via AIM to scotpgot Send a message via MSN to scotpgot Send a message via Yahoo to scotpgot Send a message via Skype™ to scotpgot

Came home from work with some stomach issues. I'm either deathly ill or in love.

(HINT: I'm not in love.)
Old 09-26-17, 03:00 AM   #8256
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Got it. Making a Walmart run for Pepto-Bismol, brb!

orson scott card
Old 09-26-17, 03:01 AM   #8257
brdmom
Not bird, not bored...
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Kids generally hate math, girls especially, and their attention spans are awful in the 6th grade. I donít think youíll have a tough decision what to do next year...and DONíT let being best friends with whoeverís husband or whatever influence anything you do. Sad!
Totally not true, especially the part about girls hating math. A great teacher like vonne will get kids interested in anything. And sixth graders can be a lot of fun to teach - just don't plan on standing up in front of the class and droning a la "Bueller, Bueller".

Vonne - congratulations! It will be a challenging year, but really, it's only eight months and you can do anything for eight months.
Old 09-26-17, 03:03 AM   #8258
Mattie
Cons the Conman

I wasn’t trying to sound negative. She’s extremely flexible and a great mother, so of course she CAN deal with sixth graders. But as for a career in teaching, after many long hours spent on the phone listening to her talk about history and politics and this and that - it’s like she’d be best served in a college stadium with really interested and invested students. Just my 2 cents!

orson scott card
Old 09-26-17, 03:34 AM   #8259
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
I'm cooking meat in a crock pot today, despite my crock-pot-handicap of not-knowing-how-to-use-it-properly.

I'd had this big pork loin in my freezer for approx forever and finally pulled it a couple days ago before it died a freezer death.

I WILL conquer the crock pot and not ruin this meat. I think in the past I'd been putting too much liquid in it, and getting the timing wrong, and cooking on High which I think is a problem.

So I just rubbed the meat with spices, browned it in a pan, then just did a little bit of water in the hot pan to scrape off, and that's the liquid I used. Going to cook it on low for like 7-8 hours. Going to resist the urge to lift the lid and look at it. This better work out.
... even I can use a crockpot and I'm fairly certain that I would qualify for that show Worst Cooks in America. I think maybe you are overthinking the crockpot.
Old 09-26-17, 03:37 AM   #8260
Mattie
Cons the Conman

You can’t misuse a crockpot dummy, that’s why they’re so loved. Shit just gets better the longer you leave it in. This is known.

orson scott card
Closed Thread
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »