Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Other Media > Anime > What [anime] are you watching?

Old 04-05-08, 04:04 PM   #1
Deus Ex Machina
Seeks Rescue

What [anime] are you watching?

Whether it be on DVD, TV, at the cinema or via some other viewing method, I want to know what anime you're currently watching. Because I'm pervy like that. That and the anime forum needs a bit of an injection of activity.

As for myself...

Bleach

What's it about?: Ichigo Kurosaki sees ghosts. Thanks to this ability, one night he also sees Rukia Kuchiki, a Shinigami ('Death God', like a reaper), and a giant monster-like spirit known as a 'Hollow'. Rukia is injured and has to transfer her power to Ichigo. Thus, he becomes a ['substitute', or 'agent'] Shinigami.
Early on the series revolves around keeping the souls of the living and the dead safe from the Hollows and helping lost souls pass over to 'Soul Society', but as the story progresses, Ichigo and his friends become further drawn into the world of the Shinigami and travel into Soul Society, where they are seen as invaders...

Liking it?: I can't get enough of it. The story and the characters are wonderful. There is a long filler arc at one point, which isn't as asorbing as the rest of the show, but is still the best quality filler material I've personally seen. And once you get out of it you're back into the real good stuff and remember why you love the show so much.

Would you recommend it?: I would recommend anyone give this show a chance. I avoided it for a long time, but eventually checked it out at a friend's recommendation - it's now one of my very favourite shows. I feel there is something to interest everyone - an intriguing story line with some mysteries and surprises (Bleach is a master of "holy crap!" cliffhanger endings), wonderful characters that develop nicely as the story progresses, a great sense of humor and awesome action scenes (combat is primarily weapon-based, as every Shinigami has a unique sword, though energy and hand-to-hand combat also features).

Be forewarned however that this is a long series that is still continuing, and there's a good chance you're going to become an addict. I'm at ep.164 and wishing I could fast forward time for more episodes to air.

Onmyou Taisenki

What's it about?: From Wikipedia's Onmyou page: "Riku Tachibana is a 12-year old Japanese boy who lives near Tokyo. Never having met his parents, he lives an ordinary life with his adoptive grandfather. His grandfather had taught him a series of strange hand movements, which Riku did not know the purpose of until the day his grandfather is attacked near his shrine. But it is not an ordinary attacker. The attacker is a Shikigami ('Ritual God'), strange monsters with human owners."

From here Riku finds a device known as a 'Drive' which is used to summon and make a contract with 'Kogenta of the Byakko', a Shikigami that has the form of an anthropomorphic white tiger. Signals made by moving the Drive in various directions (one of which being the movements Riku's grandfather taught him) enable Kogenta to utilise various special attacks. Riku discovers he is of Ten-ryuu heritage. Thus the battle against the enemy group, the Chi-ryuu (who seek to unleash a dangerous power), begins.

Liking it?: I am now, quite a lot. It takes quite a while to become that interesting - liking the Shikigami character design was almost all that kept me watching until a clear direction appeared with the emergence of a proper story line. I'm only halfway through the series at this point in time, but I have really really enjoyed the past five episodes (by this point you're familiar with and invested in the show's terminology and mythology), and I feel it will maintain this quality from here onward.

I actually started watching this back in 2004 when it was new, but translations became hard to come by and I only got to see a few episodes, and so I forgot about it until now, where the subbed versions is easily available.

Would you recommend it?: Probably only if you like Digimon style stuff, though Onmyou is based in Chinese elements rather than computer based evolving monsters, and the battle is often more interesting. There is some intriguing plot points and nice emotional moments starting around episode 20 that most people would enjoy, though. This is also the point that interesting side characters shine and that you begin to feel for the main protagonist.

Shakugan no Shana II (AKA Shakugan no Shana Second)

What's it about?: This is the second season of the series Shakugan no Shana, which you can read about Shakugan_no_shana Shakugan_no_shana. The premise of the show is complex, and thus hard to sum up, but it follows Yuji Sakai - who has just found out he is a replacement for the original Yuji (whom is dead) and the sword-weilding girl Shana, a 'Flame Haze' who battles to maintain balance between the existence of the world and the 'Guze', who devour the 'Power of Existence' (the energy that forms the basis of the world and its inhabitants).

Liking it?: Part of me loves the heck out of Shakugan no Shana in general, and part of me feels it doesn't deliver quite what you expect (which is both good and bad at various times). Overall, I enjoyed the first season for its characters and emotional content. I followed this series since its conception because I loved the character design, and it surprised me by being a lot different to what I had expected. I think this show probably clicks with select people and won't resonate with others at all. It's a real 'try it and see' thing.
As for season 2, yeah, I am liking it now the more exciting aspects of the original have finally emerged, but for some reason I can only do this show in short bursts, despite categorising myself as a Shana fan.

Would you recommend it?: Only if you watched and enjoyed all of the first season. For a long time Shana II focuses too heavily on the romance element of the show, leaving you yearning for some of the mystery and action of the first season for too long.
As for the original season, that is really something you need to discover for yourself.

Dragon Drive

What's it about?: Reiji Oozora is a good for nothin' lazy bum. He gives up easily and never finishes what he starts due to his short attention span. He sucks at school work. In hopes of introducing him to something he'll actually stick with, his friend Maiko introduces him to the underground virtual reality game Dragon Drive, where players do battle with powerful dragons. Players are assigned a dragon based on their mental and physical statistics - thus Reiji is paired up with a tiny little runt of a dragon, the sleepy and seemingly weak Chibi. Only through Dragon Drive will their true strengths begin to show, as Chibi turns out to be the rarest dragon in the game, which leads Reiji to another world outside of the virtual game world...

Liking it?: I can't say, I'm only starting to watch now. I liked the manga a lot until Reiji entered Rikyu, taking him out of the actual Dragon Drive game which I actually found pretty cool (for 'one of those' shows, I enjoyed this pseudo sport more than any card game or spinning top battle) - I preferred the modern city battleground areas in the game more than the fantasy-esque Rikyu land. Thus I stopped reading it for a while and turned to the animated version to see whether it was worth investing in from there on. But so far I've felt that the battles are a bit more interesting in the manga than the anime. Early on there is a battle against a cruel player and his badass dragon, which was cooler and seemed longer in the comic version.
I'll continue watching. Reiji is funny and Chibi is cute. that's enough to warrant doing so XD

Would you recommend it?: Depends if you're into that kind of show. It's one of those 'kids battle in the latest competition craze' things, though things become more real once the battle - well - literally becomes real. Take a look at Wikipedia's summary of the show if you want to know about the show from that point onwards, because I unfortunately can't tell you about that myself, yet.
See if you like the dragon designs - some of the designs were what drew me to Dragon Drive in the first place.

Ghost Hound

What's it about?: Set in a quiet mountain town, Ghost Hound focuses on three boys who each had traumatic experiences in their childhood. We are first introduced to 14-year old Tarou Komori, who was kidnapped along with his older sister eleven years ago. Unfortunately only Tarou was still alive when the siblings were finally found after the kidnapper was struck dead by a truck. Since that time, Tarou has had out-of-body experiences (OBEs) while he sleeps, which he keeps record of on a voice recorder to try and make sense of things. Making friends with two of his classmates, they soon begin taking steps into the Unseen World of the paranormal.

The show is the work of Masamune Shirow (Ghost in the Shell) and Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain), and combines supernatural themes with psychology. The mood of the show really comes through in its beautiful visuals and spooky audio (it's handled by Production I.G.).

Liking it?: I adore it, it's already one of my very faves. It's filling the void that finishing Death Note left in my life as a darker, thinking man's show. When I later found out Chiaki Konaka was behind the scripting I thought "no wonder I'm liking this" (I am a big fan of his work). Ghost Hound has a wonderful feel to it, and I love the characters in design and personality. Being heavily into both supernatural and psychological stuff means I'm digging things pretty easily.

The problem is that I want to watch more and more episodes, but want to pace myself (this is not a very long series) so I don't end up like I did with Death Note - wishing I could forget everything a re-watch the series over from scratch because I enjoyed the ride so much.

Would you recommend it?: Yes!! It's the type of anime I think that would really click with LOST fans. It's The pacing is relatively slow, but it works in its favor, and each episode is always interesting (just don't go in expecting lots of action scenes).

Naruto

What's it about?: Twelve years ago a giant 9-tailed fox demon attacked the hidden village of Kohonagakure. Its carnage was only stopped when the village leader - the Fourth Hokage - sacrificed his own life to seal the beast away. Unfortunately he decided the best thing to seal it in was was newborn Naruto Uzumaki. In present time, Naruto is attending ninja academy, training in hopes of one day becoming a great ninja Hokage himself. He's become a bit of a prankster due to being shunned his whole life because of what's sealed away inside him (though he's completely unaware of his nature as a container due to the village's code forbidding anyone to reveal it to him).

Naruto is teamed up with fellow classmates Sakura (whom he has a crush on) and Sasuke (whom Sakura has a crush on). The show follows the training mission and adventures of ths group.

Liking it?: I'm sympthasising with Naruto a lot earlier than I expected, and the techniques employed in battle are interesting, but apart from that I'm not feeling the grip of the show terribly. I'm just not far enough in yet though, so I'll have to wait and see whether I'll become an abductee of obsessive Naruto fandom.

Would you recommend it?: I'm not far in enough to have formed an opinion, but do I really need to recommend this? It's popular enough already (but then so is Bleach). This is another super-long series that has no end in sight, and it's because of this that I've given it a go. Sounds weird, but that's just what I'm after, because I need it to take Bleach's place as 'the thing I always watch', until there's more Bleachy goodness to catch up on (it's hard waiting weeks for your next Shinigami fix!).

------------------------------------------------

So thar you have it, that's what I'm watching at the moment. I don't care if you're currently watching one or twenty shows, whether you want to say a whole bunch or just a single sentence about them, or if you want to copy my format or inform us in your own way - I just want to know what's part of your animated intake of the moment!

And just a note: Wikipedia is great to find out about various anime, but be careful of reading too far into plot synopsis and chaarcters bios - there's not a huge amount of spoiler flagging going on over at Wiki.

Last edited by Deus Ex Machina; 05-16-13 at 08:00 AM.
Deus Ex Machina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-08, 11:44 PM   #2
2fingers
2ThumbsUp
Talks Backwards

Tournaments Won: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 2fingers
Re: What are you watching?

I'm watching Deathnote. I got to the end of the english dubs so I went and bought all the rest of the Mangas. I don't like sub titles.

I watch Bleach I am also one who is waiting for new episodes to air even if they are subbed and I edon't like subs, and Naruto for some reason .

I am also starting to watch elfen lied and blood +
Old 04-06-08, 11:48 PM   #3
Scott
Chat Killer
Carries Big Stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fingers View Post
I am also starting to watch elfen lied and blood +
lol my girlfriend got me to try Elfen Lied out. That was...certainly unique. Gory, much?

I'm somewhat in the middle of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World. I was really enjoying it but I became busy and had to stop watching it. Hopefully I can pick back up on it soon. The characters are all sweet and the storyline is pretty good.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-08, 12:35 AM   #4
2fingers
2ThumbsUp
Talks Backwards

Tournaments Won: 1

Send a message via Yahoo to 2fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk Aria View Post
lol my girlfriend got me to try Elfen Lied out. That was...certainly unique. Gory, much?
yeah it is very graphic to say the least.
Old 04-07-08, 04:20 PM   #5
Daniel
Blew Up the Hatch

Send a message via MSN to Daniel Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel

I'm watching Bleach, Cowboy Bebop (last 2 episodes ) and Paranoia Agent.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-08, 05:08 PM   #6
frogge
Eats, bugs & geeks
Sees Walt

What a great thread! At last, a way to find out what's currently out there. Shakugan no Shana and Ghost Hound both sound good.

Currently, I'm watching Bleach avidly and voraciously but that's about it.

I know somewhere at home I have Banner of the Stars III, Yakitate Japan, Romeo's Blue Skies, and (going wayyyy back) F and Z Gundam to finish watching.

Crest of Stars / Banner of the Stars I, II & III
A real favorite, this is a spectacular series if you want a hardcore space opera with space fleet battles. It's based on books, not manga, so it's a bit complex and occasionally hard to follow. The downside (besides the complexity) is that it's short and a little dull in a cerebral way. The first battle doesn't occur until episode 5. But oh, what a battle that is!

Yakitate Japan
This is a funny little show that doesn't take itself seriously at all. Each week is about the lead character having to invent a recipe for bread; it's all about the baking and the comedy! It is quite often hilarious in the absurd way anime can be (Urusei Yatsura, Kodomo no Mocha), and can also be sweet and charming.

F
Good luck trying to find this one, even raw. Nonetheless, it's a good show from way back; one of my wife's faves. It's about a teen who's a racing prodigy. Problem is, he has some real attitude problems. And we start to find out about his horrible family and his upbringing which certainly plays a part in why he turned out that way....

Last edited by frogge; 04-08-08 at 01:54 PM. Reason: To remove hotlinked images
frogge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-08, 09:00 PM   #7
pilot3033
Seeks Rescue

Send a message via AIM to pilot3033 Send a message via Skype™ to pilot3033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
I'm watching Bleach, Cowboy Bebop (last 2 episodes ) and Paranoia Agent.
I loved Bebop, one of my favorites. I also really enjoyed Paranoia Agent. I first caught it on Adult Swim dubbed, and then sought some subbed versions and am overall pretty happy. It's a great series, and I'm glad it finished the way it did. All too often shows go on and on forgetting their main point, and never resolving anything.

My favorite Paranoia Agent episode has to be the one (titles elude me at the moment) that focused on the guy working on the show, with the freeze frames and production explanation info (descriptions fail me at the moment).
Old 04-07-08, 11:15 PM   #8
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

SICKdude, Hotlinking = bad.

I'm just glad that they merely replaced the pics with a warning message instead of something else.

I assume you know about photobucket and other free image hosting sites.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-08, 12:04 PM   #9
merry slug
saved by zero
Squishes the Frog

I'm watching Spongebob while waiting for Nickelodeon to wake up and show Avatar again.

I hear Bleach is good - I just haven't gotten into it yet.
Old 04-08-08, 05:03 PM   #10
frogge
Eats, bugs & geeks
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigCat View Post
SICKdude, Hotlinking = bad.

I'm just glad that they merely replaced the pics with a warning message instead of something else.

I assume you know about photobucket and other free image hosting sites.
D'oh! My bad. I'm not always so good with these sophistimacated interwebs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by merry slug View Post
I hear Bleach is good - I just haven't gotten into it yet.
Oh really....

We expect to see you over in the Bleach section any day now.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Other Media > Anime »