Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Not a theory. Absolute proof of something extraordinary on the island.

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 11-18-05, 08:08 AM   #1
Castricv
Arrives By Sub

+ Not a theory. Absolute proof of something extraordinary on the island.

I will be posting much more often now that I have actually registered. I usually read the posts and think that most of them are way off or miss the point, but it is just for fun. I've looked around the whole site and no one I believe has brought this up. There is a distinct TIME discrepancy between sections of the island or groups of the island or both. The proof of this is simple. In the last episode that featured the tail members, Rose's husband gets a signal on his radio from our old friend Boone. They go into the whole "We're the survivors of Flight 815!" dialogue as expected. What is clear though is that while Bernard is speaking on day 41, Boone is clearly speaking on a much earlier day (approx. day 21 or so). This date for Boone could be fine tuned by another member, but it is clearly way before day 41. As for accounting for this by recordings or trickery, it is impossible as you get the same conversation on both perspectives in different episodes of the show. Hence time is now a variable in this show and not aconstant we can take for granted. How this affects anything else is up for debate, but it is clear that time manipulation is at play. Could Dharma and the bunker's electromagnetic characteristics cause this? Why does the website for Dharma on the official site have time travel as a topic? Interesting and I hope other members research this in depth. This is my thought for the day. Actual proof. Also, for those who think this might be some error on the part of the writers, this is one of the few shows that actually does a solid job on continuation and nothing is done without a reason.

Last edited by Castricv; 11-18-05 at 08:16 AM.
Castricv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 08:31 AM   #2
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: Not a theory. Absolute proof of something extraordinary on the island.

Quote:
What is clear though is that while Bernard is speaking on day 41, Boone is clearly speaking on a much earlier day (approx. day 21 or so). This date for Boone could be fine tuned by another member, but it is clearly way before day 41.
Timeline
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 09:01 AM   #3
zuty
Flashes Back

I don't see the "actual proof." I think the timeline link posted by clayseason1 shows a fairly accurate representation of how events transpired.

Time to get off the horse...
Old 11-18-05, 09:10 AM   #4
lacenaire
Sees Walt

Like usual there's a time problem.
Why do they use sept 22 as day1?
Are we still in the Roman age?
Sept 22 is the point of start so it is day 0 (less than 24h on the island)
I don't know when this people are gonna start coming into the modern world.

And as to the matter at hand, both events are simultanneous, they occur on day 40 (Nov 1 2004).
AutHORIzEd
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 09:22 AM   #5
zuty
Flashes Back

Day 1 should not be labeled as Day 0.

Year 1 was also Year 1 and not Year 0. The problem you're trying to support is the problem that leads people to believe that Year 2000 was the first year of the current millennium. THAT math is incorrect, since 2001 is the first year of this millennium.

2001. Not 2000.

Transfer the logic. The first day on the island is Day 1, not Day 0.

For example, I started work on a new project today. Today is Day 1 of this project.

They are numbering the days, not indicating how many full days have passed.
Old 11-18-05, 09:51 AM   #6
Castricv
Arrives By Sub

First of all, where does this timeline come from? I'm sure it is well researched, but I cannot believe that everything that has happened in the last 15 episodes or so has happened in just 6 days (Boone's death on day 42 as you have stated and Day 48 current episode). That is far fetched. If you could clarify where you get these dates from that would be helpful. If not, Boone's death, the rebuilding of the raft, the launching and sinking of the raft, the days Jin, Sawyer, and Michael were captured and put in a pit, the time they spent talking and then traveling with the tailies, and many other things would have to have transpired in less than 6 days. I find that impossible to believe. We have now done 31 episodes in 48 days. This is known. Yet you expect 15 episodes to happen in less than 6 days. Strange, no? Plus if its only 6 whole days, Shannon sure did not take long to get over Boone's death and happily shack up with Sayid 5 nights later. Now I will agree that if the show is following the same assumptions you are, then your timeline completely refutesmy argument, but I believe the reverse is true. The fact that Bernard is speaking with Boone on day 41 according to the episode simply confirms to you that Boone crashed on day 41 without contemplating any other possibility. I hope that everyone will review the timeline for the logic I am talking about and see if there is an argument for too much occuring in such a small time frame as well as a lack of clear evidence for practically everything on the timeline. However, this is why I posted, and I look forward to counterpoints.

Last edited by Castricv; 11-18-05 at 10:10 AM.
Castricv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 10:02 AM   #7
lacenaire
Sees Walt

Zuty this has already being discussed and solved way before us.

Year 0 to year 1 is the 1st year.
The decimal system goes from 0 to 9.

There is the mistake, the cardinal was substituted by the ordinal. Besides they didn't know in the Roman age about 0 as a mathematical concept but it shouldn't be a problem nowadays.

day 0: 00:00 to 23:59 sept 22 1st day
day 1: 00:00 to 23:59 sept 23 2nd day

Why do you think the millenium started in 2000 and not in 2001?
AutHORIzEd

Last edited by lacenaire; 11-18-05 at 10:06 AM.
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 11:48 AM   #8
metanym
Arrives By Sub

Hello Castricv,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castricv
First of all, where does this timeline come from? I'm sure it is well researched, but I cannot believe that everything that has happened in the last 15 episodes or so has happened in just 6 days (Boone's death on day 42 as you have stated and Day 48 current episode).
Why not? The raft was rebuilt from day 32 onwards, and as you know they were in a great hurry to finish it because their launch window was fast expiring. Shannon already had a date planned with Sayid before Boone was dead. Then after the raft is launched, the show starts following two stories simultaneously so you'd expect it only to cover half as much time in as many episodes as before. Plus, loads of stuff starts happening at that time.

Read the timeline again. It is completely explicit where the dates are from. If you think it's faulty, post specific counter-examples, rather than just an intuition that it is "far-fetched"!

Best wishes,
H
metanym is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 11:58 AM   #9
NeillT006
We Barefootin'
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacenaire
Lace:

Step slowly away from the Sangria bottle.

The 21st century started January 1, 2001.

The year 2000 was the last year of the 20th century because year 1 was year 1, and not year 0.

Now, what you are talking about does crop up in the convention we use to record people's ages. I am 55. But, I am in my 56th year.

N.
NeillT006 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-05, 12:02 PM   #10
metanym
Arrives By Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacenaire
Zuty this has already being discussed and solved way before us.

Year 0 to year 1 is the 1st year.
No, "Year 1" is the first year. That's what "Year 1" means. There is no "Year 0". It's simple.

Year 1 is Day 1 through Day 365.
Day 1 is Hour 1 through Hour 24.
Hour 1 is Minute 1 through Minute 60.
Minute 1 is Second 1 through Second 60.
Second 1 is Millisecond 1 through Millisecond 1000.

To put it another way (putting aside years to avoid confusion about leap years!):

The first day consists of the first hour, the second hour, the third hour, and so on up to the 24th hour.
The first hour consists of the first minute, the second minute, and so on.
Do I need to continue?

1AD is short for "The first year of our lord". Not "The second year of our lord" as you would have it.

Or to take a less Christian perspective, 1CE means "The first year of the common era". 1BCE means "one year before the common era". There is no 0CE/0BCE because that is how they are defined.

Quote:
I most certainly do not, and nor should you. The reason the "millenium" was celebrated at the turn of 1999-2000 is that it's more exciting to watch 4 digits tick over than 1 digit. That's what we were celebrating, not 2000 complete years having passed since the birth of Jesus (which is actually supposed to have happened sometime around 5-7 BCE).

Best wishes,
H
metanym is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »