Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + 108: Restoring the Lost Sun

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 04-03-06, 05:40 PM   #1
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

+ 108: Restoring the Lost Sun

Remember the Hatch Mural?

One of its most prominent features is the Sun with 108 in the center. I've long believed the mural generally, and that Sun specifically, are a clue to what's happening. Yung's talk of the return of Apollo (the Sun God) got me thinking along those lines again but it wasn't until the Blast Door Map that the Sun's significance was finally illuminated.

In the lower right corner of the Map, there is a possible cite to the Book of Revelation, chapter 4, verse 3, line 2, which reads: "And there was a rainbow about the throne, in sight like an emerald." It lacks any apparent connection to Lost, but appearances can deceive.

New Age Gnosticism and the "Lost Sun"
The "rainbow" in Revelation has been interpreted by new age gnostics like Patrizia Norelli-Bachelet and Sri Aurobindo as referring to the Sun, with the verse that follows describing the Zodiacal cross of Lion, Calf, Man, and Eagle:

These new age Gnostics believe that humanity is not the final step on the evolutionary scale, merely the starting point for a spiritual evolution that promises to transcend the material limits of creation. They aspire to create a heaven on earth through the forging of a unified, global overmind.

The process of creating this "supramental" consciousness that is the hallmark of spiritual evolution is called restoring the "Lost Sun." That description actually derives from the Rig Veda, a collection of Hindu hymns that are among the oldest texts preserved in any language.

The neo-Gnostics read the Rig Veda as being concerned primarily with the recovery or return of the "Lost Sun," also termed the Sanatana Dharma or Eternal Truth of Being and Becoming. 108 is a scared number in Sanatana Dharma, symbolizing in various ways the underlying order and harmony of the universe.

Dream of a New World Order
This brings me back to the Hatch mural, which I believe depicts Hanso's dream of a new world order. He recruited Dharma during the 1970's, at the height of the cold war, when planetary catastrophe seemed imminent. Their plan was to sequester a team of scientists on the Island, where they could work in safety on ways to avert the coming disaster.

Like the Grand Inquisitor in the Brothers Karamozov, these Dharma scientists diagnosed humanity's failing as too much freedom. They experimented with using powerful mind-control techniques to forge a new collective global consciousness with the law of Dharma at its core. Dharma sought, in sum, to restore the Lost Sun.

Their crowning achievement was to be creation of psychic messiahs who were mentally connected to the Island, and who would go forth and impose the collective overmind worldwide. But some of the Initiative's participants began to fear that the drastic "cure" of mental slavery was actually worse than the disease.

They rebelled, causing the Cerberus security system to malfunction. THF was forced to call in the army (AL's knife?) which successfully quelled the uprising. But the goverment was alarmed by Dharma's mind-control technology and intrigued by its military-industrial applications. The Dharma Initiative was scrapped and its science quietly coopted for other purposes.

Some participants (Locke and Jack's daddies?) returned to civilization. Others (the Others?) remained behind to build a New Atlantis removed from the world. They originally staffed Swan Hatch, which preserves the Island's seclusion by wrapping it in a 4-D wrinkle in timespace. They now use Swan as a quarantine area for observing new arrivals to the Island.

The Others impose this quarantine because their minds are linked to one another by exposure to the Island's scalar electromagnetic field. This is why they're so preoccupied with determining who is "good" -- one bad apple can taint the entire collective. This may also explain why they allowed Walt leave the Island -- his rebellious streak proved too difficult to control.

Whatever Happened to Hanso?
Hanso is a powerful psychic whose abilities approximate Magnus/Magneto's from X-Men. He may be alive but more likely perished on the Island at some point (the AH/MDG Incident?) and was reborn as pure electromagnetic consciousness. He's now an em "ghost" sustained by the same electromagnetic bubble that maintains the Island's wrinkle. Without it, he would dissipate.

As such, Hanso can no longer communicate verbally, and must rely instead on vivid dream visions and hallucinations to make contact psychically. His presence, however, looms large over the Island generally, and Swan specifically. He still longs to reconstitute Dharma and restore the Lost Sun -- but with a new and disturbing twist.

Hanso is disgusted with the way his scientific achievements have been perverted by his military-industrial partners like Paik. They use this technology to maintain their control over the status quo, which is stable but thoroughly corrupt. Like an electromagnetic embodiment of the gnostic demiurge, Hanso has decided to punish humanity for its sins.

He plans to cause the very disaster he once worked so hard to avert. Once society crumbles, his twin messiahs of Aaron and Israel will wander the earth and rebuild the "temple," as prophesied by the Dead Sea Scrolls. Aaron is one such messiah, and with Walt's departure, Sun's child could be the other -- a child of Sun to help restore the Lost Sun.

The Good Guys
The Others were initially unaware of Hanso's transformation and apocalyptic design. Their first warning came when one of their people went crazy while on Hatch duty. This was when they devised the quarantine, which is why there's no mention of the "sickness" in Swan's Orientation. The Others have been reluctant ever since to staff the Hatch themselves.

They now realize that Hanso is using the Numbers in conjunction with his psychic powers to bring people to the Island. They tried to shut the "box" by changing the radio transmission but not before the Numbers escaped to Sam and Lenny. The Numbers are (among other things) a strange attractor, manifesting randomly in the world once someone like Sam or Hurley "uses" them.

By employing the Numbers as a target code, Hanso is able view and influence events remotely. The Others, who are themselves psychic, use their collective powers to resist this process. The resulting conflict may explain the Numbers' apparent "bad luck" off the Island.

This conflict continues on the Island, where the Others strive to understand and frustrate Hanso's apocalyptic ambitions. In the first version of this theory, I described the Blast Door Map as the path that Hatch occupants follow to learn about the "important work" being done on the Island. This may well be what Hanso believes and intends.

The Others, however, seem to take serious issue with that belief. The Map thus looks increasingly like a game board, delineating the boundaries of conflict. Perhaps this is why Fenry tried so hard to get Locke to stop pushing the button. The former hoped that destroying Swan (and with it, the Island's wrinkle) would defeat Hanso once and for all.

So why couldn't Fenry do so himself when Locke was trappped under the Blast Door? That would have meant Locke's death, making Fenry a bad person...

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?

Last edited by bigmouth; 08-17-06 at 01:49 AM.
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-06, 06:03 PM   #2
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice
Re: 108: Restoring the Lost Sun

retracted statement.

I fully support this theory. as most should know.

I was petty, petty petty.

but damn did I ever get flammed for suggesting pretty much the same ideas...
peace.

its JJ's fault anyway, this is his show. he's the crazy one.

Last edited by yung23; 04-05-06 at 05:20 AM.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-06, 06:19 PM   #3
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23
um ? so if someone else does the exact same thread, I guess this one will work with posters ?

you have summarized my entire thread, leaving out my confusing research, ( which is how I got to these conclusions )

nice try BM

I do all the work, get all the crap, and someone else takes the glory.

tsk tsk,

you didnt even mention my thread or name ?

how dare you.

merging.

this is pretty much my theory. I will not allow a theft, while I took so much crap putting these ideas out.
Yung: Get over yourself. This is an original theory, admittedly inspired by your one insight about the return of apollo. I gave up following your meandering logic weeks ago. You are one of MANY influences on this thread. For you to take credit for the ideas herein is laughable.

I'd frankly prefer you simply delete my theory rather than merge it.

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?

Last edited by bigmouth; 04-03-06 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 06:22 PM   #4
yung23
Hears the Whispers

cmon, all you've done is get inspired by my threads and post your own versions.

its been happening for weeks now, I hit upon a big thing with the whole awakening ideas and all I have received is harsh remarks.

you clearly took out all my confusing work and re-packaged it.

Old 04-03-06, 06:24 PM   #5
taoeros
Seeks Rescue

Yung this theory is diffirent from yours imo. Yes it doe's have some similarities but so do most of the stuff on the theory board. No one "owns" a theory.

"Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand."
taoeros is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-06, 06:26 PM   #6
yung23
Hears the Whispers

one insight ?
what about the whole gnostic tranhumanism stuff ?
its all philip K dick work, I even got javi to admit him being an influence and that gave you the green light. now here you are.

Old 04-03-06, 06:33 PM   #7
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23
cmon, all you've done is get inspired by my threads and post your own versions.

its been happening for weeks now, I hit upon a big thing with the whole awakening ideas and all I have received is harsh remarks.

you clearly took out all my confusing work and re-packaged it.
Again, get over yourself.

I did a few searches after receiving your response like a slap in the face. Tell me, do you draw the key connection to Dharma, the "lost sun," and Rig Veda? Where do you discuss the new age gnostics and Revelation? Do the words "supramental consciousness" appear in your posts?

If you believe I've ripped off your nonsensical babblings, it's time to put your money where your mouth is and cite something specific.

PS: Way to take out your anger and frustration with the negative response to you on me.

PPS: Before running your mouth, try running some searches. I've been talking about transhumanism long before you ever did. So as far as I can tell, YOU ripped off ME!

Where does Vincent go?

Last edited by bigmouth; 04-03-06 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-03-06, 06:42 PM   #8
Bob Sacamano
Almost Limitless Energy
Sees Walt

yung, you took that javi quote about pk dick to the bank and used it as a way of validating your theory, but all he said was that pk dick was his favorite writer and "there may be a little influence there." Well, the same thing can be said for bm's theory.
Bob Sacamano is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-06, 06:46 PM   #9
taoeros
Seeks Rescue

Quote from your theory Yung :- So.... using the numbers as co-ordiantes for the EMF may create a window to Hilbert space ?
NOTE : We all live in Non-euclidian space, the Earth.

This was his vengence, he hid the island from Hanso.
Apollo put it somewhere he would have more power over Quantum particles. Hilbert space.^

now Hanso keeps a window open to it. Or keeps it in Hilbert space so his project can live.

ETA : IF THEY FAIL TO BE ENTERED, THE ISLAND "LEAVES" HILBERT SPACE AND
"IT DIES!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said before, very diffirent theory.

"Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand."
taoeros is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-06, 06:48 PM   #10
raven444
Seeks Rescue

Location: in case of fire or emergency know your exits: pentagon evacuation procedure

Succinct and TV-friendly.

What of the sickness, bigmouth? Is that simply being normal, or not evolved to what these supra-scientists (if you will) have become?

raven444 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »