Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Lost - The Show with more than 1 simple explanation (Mystery or Satire?)

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 04-07-06, 06:39 PM   #1
lacenaire
Sees Walt

+ Lost - The Show with more than 1 simple explanation (Mystery or Satire?)

(Edit parts in bold)

So far we have two different explanations for the whole show from information obtained in the show:

1. Hurley is catatonic and everything is happening inside his brain.
2. Everything is real and not happening inside Hurley's brain.

SATIRE: Contrast creates satire. Even two serious subjects when in direct contrast with each other create a conflict that results in humour, which reveals a certain critical intention from the author and create a satirical mood in the spectator. Think of what David Lynch did in Twin Peaks.

This was an honest move from TPTB in order to admit that what they are doing is fictional and to believe it at first value would be insane. This has been done before in large audience TV shows. Lostinwilderness pointed out that the same thing was done in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (episode 6x16 Normal Again).

This has been done because Lost is a virtual narration:

Quote:
According to Webster's dictionary, a virtual image is one formed of virtual foci: that is, of points "from which divergent rays of light seem to emanate but do not actually do so." This meaning can be metaphorically transferred to a type of narrative discourse that evokes states and events indirectly as they are captured in a reflecting device that exists as a material object in the textual actual world. This reflecting device could be a mirror, text, photograph, movie, or television show.

Since virtual narration presents a world through a reflector, its purpose is to make the reader aware of the mediated nature of textual worlds.
I am sure there will be more explanations, but no absolute truths.
This is a classic postmodern view of the world, as P. K. Dick declared in a interview:

Quote:
I would define something as metaphysical as anything which, being observed by more than one person, those observers, plural, do not agree on what they have seen or experienced. If they agree precisely on what they've seen and experienced -

It is not metaphysical.

It's phenomena that have an elusive -

Character?

Yes, somewhat. Fluctuating perhaps. Even fluctuating character cannot be pinned down easily, hypostatized, that is, formalized. For instance, since I've always felt that Thomas Aquinas tried to de-metaphysicalize theology and reduce it to a science along the lines of Aristotle and that it was a complete failure because those areas can never be reduced to precise definitions and precise agreements in perception. So that would be what I might mean by metaphysical.

A good example, if you like, of this area is the upcoming science in America of those persons who work in hospital areas and have a lot to do with people dying. They have a science on the theme of dying with life after life and so on. These things belong to the metaphysical area. No one has the same opinions as the other. And personal experience -

Yes, that's another element, the element of the subjective. I could have a profound experience which included an alternate way of perceiving reality from the normal way and I would have trouble communicating it to you because you did not see the reality configuration the way I did, and so the metaphysical element would creep in automatically just by the discrepancy between our ways of perceiving the same reality.

That's a problem also of linguistics.

Yes, definitely. But, Norman pointed out that I write from multiple viewpoints, that for me the phenomenological world consists of nothing more than the totality of the various viewpoints perceived. And this would make my books fundamentally metaphysical, as he himself points out, because I do not postulate a single block universe which is perceived by everyone.
This means that in a theories board it will be useless to say "reality check" because it's been stated by TPTB that it's all imaginary in the first place.
Edit: To accept that what we are being show is real is to accept that we live inside a catatonic's dream, so a complete inmersion into the Lost Story entails this risk for everyone willing to do so.

Now we are totally free to use our imaginations and come up with good/bad theories, which would have to be judged for themselves and for how well they explain things on the show, not for how they relate to anything real or scientific.

TPTB have given us a blank check to use our imaginations.
Are we all up to that challenge?
AutHORIzEd

Last edited by lacenaire; 09-10-06 at 10:41 PM.
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-06, 07:34 PM   #2
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Re: Lost - The Show with more than 1 simple explanation

Lace: Very interesting. I tended to interpret this as a "Poochie" episode directed at advocates of an "Identity" theory of Lost. But as TPTB have often said, even their jokes typically illuminate some aspect of the show. I think you're right that there may be a larger commentary about the (im)possibility of a single, overarching explanation.

For that reason, I was also really struck by your Dick quote. Reminds me a bit of one of my favorite comments by Lyotard, who described postmodernism as a "distrust of metanarratives."

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?

Last edited by bigmouth; 04-07-06 at 08:39 PM.
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-06, 08:13 PM   #3
fate4ever
Wasn't on the List

If this is all in Hurley's head, why did he need to ask everyones names to take a manifest, why didnt he warn the losties that ethan was an other, why? why? why?!
I am extremely bored and for now when you look at my sig, you will get that same dull and empty feeling like noone loves you and your all alone.It sucks and there is no way around it so just GET OVER IT and move along with your life.

Wow, I should become a motivational speaker.

Oh yeah, I'm a member of K.L.U.G.H.L.E.S.S.
fate4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-07-06, 08:37 PM   #4
LostInWilderness
Hears the Whispers

I very much agree, Lace. We've often said that lots of things may not be explained, but that makes sense in your context. Something may not be explained to me, but it might to you, or we may end up with competing explanations for the same thing, leaving us with multiple explanations.
Old 04-08-06, 02:09 AM   #5
Smirnoff_Ice
A Little Bit Icy
Hears the Whispers

It can't be all in Hurley's mind. Mainly for two reasons. One is tha would just suck. The second is that TPTB wouldn't just come right out with it and in the middle of S2 tell us for sure that that's the truth. Lacenaire made a good point about this, but I just can't see it happening.
Smirnoff_Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-06, 02:28 AM   #6
lawn_boy
Pushes the Button

Send a message via AIM to lawn_boy

It is interesting, though, having Hurley find it out, make us think it is true, then have Libby disprove it. But Libby is obviously nuts. So why believe her?
lawn_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-06, 02:39 AM   #7
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

nice lace..

once again I think of the Javi chat..

"I try not to think of the totality of the island"

Last edited by yung23; 04-08-06 at 02:46 AM.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-06, 03:01 AM   #8
island_maverick
Robot In Disguise
Stares Down Smokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacenaire
TPTB have given us a blank check to use our imaginations.
Are we all up to that challenge?
So, do you think the Hurley thing was part of their strategy for a while....just waiting to roll it out...?

Or was this their way to re-ignite the show, in terms of freeing people from the set ideas they had about the show, prior to that ep?

I like what you're saying lace. It just feels a bit contrived by TPTB, in a way. Not that that is a bad thing. It does give the show fresh potential I guess.

mav

Last edited by island_maverick; 04-08-06 at 03:03 AM.
island_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-06, 03:05 PM   #9
LostInWilderness
Hears the Whispers

I'm sure TPTB planned all along for this episode. People discussed the theory that it's all in Hurley's head after it was set up in Numbers.

But this thread isn't about that. It's about multiple potential expanations for events on the island, which think is very likely to be true by the end of the series.
Old 04-08-06, 08:14 PM   #10
roswellian
Seeks Rescue

I dont think libby is "nuts" anymore. SHe's ovbiously gotten better. I mean, people can change. Just like the end of the show proved.

Roswell : Because we had Emilie first.

My DVD COLLECTION
roswellian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »