Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Element X

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 06-21-06, 01:20 PM   #1
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

+ Element X

he, he thread explosion, but we have time to waste I'm sure....

Awhile ago in the science 101 thread I postulated that there was an unusual mysterious element ont he island, the origin of which was cosmological - ie an alien material substance that was seeded on earth along time ago and which has given root and sustenance to a unique and unusual island 'tree' ecology with many branches of existence.....

Yung23 later describes this as helium3 a substance found in comets. For now I make no real assertation as to what this substance might be simply its possible effects on an island ecology (I also use this as a means to create the veil effect found in the other thread).... if anything, its a good read to say the least...

The subject of this thread then is 'what is element X' and how does it work?

Several stages off cyclic form and matter on the island in relation to Element X.

Element X exist as a proto-element able to blend into and contaminate other elemental structures. It might have a similar composition to hydrogen molecules but is both stable when in a passive state and unstable when agitated.

A cosmic event occurs perhaps in the form of a commit or meteor shower, striking earth and bringing with it large quantities of element X. Layering a large a part of the earth with contaminated radioactive matter.

(perhaps a commit which has circled a black hole becoming irradiated by some kind of ‘dark matter’).

The matter lies dormant as a pocket hole in the earths crust. It is for the most part inert though it might be conceivable that it had diverse effects even then, perhaps creating or forming a magnetic anomaly in the ground above over time .

Drawn by the pockets magnetic attraction. A lava field or vent displaces the pocket containing element X surging it up with other deposits towards the earth and taking the form of an island or adding its effect to an already existing island.

Element X is spewed forth by the volcano along with basalt, lava rock, granite and other types of volcanic waste. The terrain is rich in chemical deposits. All of which combine with Element X to create new hybrid forms.

Rain water mixes with the chemical deposits of the volcano along with sulfuric compounds. Element X is active here and becomes mixed with the base elements of the eruption and newer hybrid entities.

Element X forms into crystalline deposits in the heated sulfuric nature of the volcano’s edge (it is possible that this early crystalline effect occurred pre volcanic eruption also). The chemical properties inherent in rain water allows natural growth of crystals. These crystals are then blasted into dust by seismic activity but remain sensitive to the islands magnetic properties. Element X has become Crystalline X referred to here as ‘draconites’ (refered from bigmouths thread).

The geomagnetic field of the island allows the ‘draconites’ to attract and to a large degree float as if it were a gas. The draconites are conductive and when in mass create static friction adding to the buoyancy and possible propulsion of phenomenon though also creating a ‘magnetic field’ in which a charge is conducted – this charge helps the draconite cloud to follow the various magnetic currents of the island. The draconites are absorbent of solar and sonic energies which cause agitation of field system and may cause particularly aggressive phenomena. Lastly the crystals are able to transmit a ‘resonance’ or frequency allowing other ‘crystals’ to pick up a transmission, this creates uniformity in the system. People could conceivably pick up signals using ‘foci’ crystals taken from deep in the earth (larger specimens of Crystal X).

Dust particles containing element X are flung high into the magnetosphere of the island. Perhaps creating crystal like fragments with the high atmospheric electro-static conditions coupled with water molecules. Using solar energy to create an electro-magnetic charge these crystal Y fragments create a ‘shield’ or electro-magnetic veil over the island, resulting in a type of mirage or illusion and helping isolate the island from outside influences.

The crystal Y field generation may also cause unusual effects on the islands light absorption. One such possibility is that it floods the island with ultra-violet light causing some of the strange effects of the islands nature – such as a feeling of well being and hallucinations. Another side effect being the creation of an irradiating negative ion field, creating an excess off negative ions which help stimulate spiritual and physical growth, healing and other parts of the human limbic system.

Due to their powerful electro-magnetic attraction Crystal Y fields also attract water particles just as normal dust particles, forming rain drops more rapidly which collect in short but heavy cloud formations that break falling to the earth as rain. The mutated crystal Y particles might also be carried back down to the earth thereby receding the island with Crystal X particles. These particles in large number might create a harmonic canopy of holographic energy and sound – a visual and sonic matrix of reverberating effects.

Static electro-magnetic activity helps to form amino compounds contaminated by element X into proto-bacterial algae. Amino acids also help bacteria to contaminate other elemental compositions such as rock and basalt crystals and metal alloys such as iron, zinc and copper. This evidently is comparatively similar to how life first started on earth, using similar conditions to produce the first proto bacterial life forms to which all living matter derives. It might suggest that Element X has always been apart of the evolutionary cycle of earths history, perhaps advancing on complexities and particulars already dominant in the life forms and entities it encounters on each ‘revival’.

Plant life grows through the ‘black rock’ of the lava fields, enriching themselves with the chemical deposits inherent in such. Element X being among them.

This special ‘chemical’ attribute which may take the form of a bacterial proto-structure is absorbed into the plant life and is deposited into the atmosphere by way of photosynthesis – creating a gas form of element X. The gas shares some of the conductive and magnetic properties of the islands magnetosphere and element X and as it grows in quantity over time, envelops the island creating a natural plasma bubble within the magnetosphere of the island. Element X has become Plasma X.

Plasma X (a fusion of oxygen and element X) is predominantly the most important focus of Element X as it creates the conductive radius off the islands geomagnetic heart. Literally it allows the fusion of the upper atmosphere to have a direct link with the happenings of the lower quadrants in effect it acts as a giant plasma field similar in composition to a plasma globe, allowing other magnetic phenomena to ‘hitch a ride’ in its currents. Though it would appear that this gas might be prevalent only around the island basin and perhaps in the upper atmosphere of the islands magnetic bubble.

The primary special property of element X in its crystalline form at least is its ability to store information in a sense similar to the magnetic storage facility of a computer. Light etches miniscule magnetic groves within its crystal template. Creating a signature resonance that can be imparted to other element X particles. At first these might appear simple in composition but the storage of memory helps to impart patterns which begin to manifest basic structures resembling living organisms – the bridge between silicon animated form and carbon based organisms may simply be one of acidic hybridism and electro-magnetic fusion.

The last stage of Element X’s complete conquest of the island structural matrix is one of absorption into a living host. Be it a form of bacteria, light infusion, a pollen based spore or enveloping proto-plasma the properties of Element X are assimilated into a carbon based vessel. More importantly people are contaminated with element X. Element X may at first act as a poisonous intrusion which the body fights like a viral infection. If it were only affecting the human state in one form it might prove defendable or perhaps even deadly to the host. However because it arrives in many variant methods of induction it is not only inevitable but such a multi-headed system might create an equilibrium of sorts, where one system part overrides the ill effects of another. We might call such a system Hybrid X.

More importantly the idea that crystalline particle bacteria is somehow absorbed into a subjects limbic and circuitry system is fascinating in its particulars. What would happen if a subjects cerebral cortex was infected by this alien intrusion? Could the resonance of a persons electro-magnetic imaging be recorded and transmitted to other particles outside the body of influence? If this were the case then a ‘resonant’ picture might be picked up by a near by transceiver consisting of these particles as expressed in the ‘draconite’ collective.

The sea may absorb a large amount of the ‘energy’ waste produced by element X and may act as a control for any hyper activity caused by the islands various agents. Surf creates negative ions which help destroy bacteria and excess pollutions in the air. The sea might also displace amino acid compounds that escape the island, breaking down various gaseous and material matter. However the sea is also a great conductor off chemical nutrients. Allowing vast arrays of living organisms to produce and multiply within its depths. Black Smokey’s are underwater geothermal vents which create an ‘alternative’ source of energy for deep sea life forms. Element X could play a role here, depositing the surrounding sea water with abundant altered energy with sunlight shining through the magnetosphere umbrella and helping underwater systems to enhance element X activity. A type of coral or algae for instance might develop around such vents or in relation to the enhanced energy of the sun which are eaten by small fish and in turn eaten by larger fish. Fish might then reproduce natural enzymes which either help kill Element X mutations or mutate it further. This development of Element X could be called ‘Enzyme X’.

Experimentation: Human experimentation is with out doubt open to numerous investigations and possibilities. Though other animals would equally do well in creating ‘test’ subjects for the mutation and control of element X properties. Polar bears with their unique light absorption, natural intelligence and solitary survival instincts might prove interesting subjects in order to prove both the unifying nature of Element X deposits and general mutating evolution to which hybrid X enhances. In other words an example of the islands ‘equilibrium’.

Sharks are currently in use for research in curing various cancers and in particular Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s because they have a natural ability to heal damaged brain tissue. People with Alzheimer are effected by the loss of memory, so sharks may have been used as test subjects in order to restore possible memory lapses caused by hybrid X.

We’ve described several evolutionary stages of our element X ‘priori’ though obviously more might be applicable, feel free to come up with other expressions of element X and its various tangents.

Plasma X (plant produced ozone gas).
Bacteria X (proto-life amalgamation).
Crystal X (draconites).
Crystal Y (Atmospheric field).
Hybrid X (Island to animal hybrid).

Finally the entirety of this ‘eco-system’ equilibrium might consist of elemental cycles, which was ultimately what I wanted to say along time ago but never got round to achieving. So this is my final testament to such an idea.

A diagram showing how Element X might apply to the island in 'fields'....

Old 06-21-06, 06:47 PM   #2
Zamboni
Pushes the Button

Re: Element X

I'm afraid, on a real nuclear chemistry/chemical/partical physics level this entire concept doesn't even make sense.
Old 06-21-06, 07:06 PM   #3
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

jays: You are seriously on a roll! Could Element X be the cause of the "sickness"? Maybe that's why there's a quarantine and food drop for Swan Hatch. Eat and drink the Island's water, and you absorb more and more Element X...

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-06, 08:28 PM   #4
lacenaire
Sees Walt

I saw somewhere a docummentary about the evolution of silicium based life forms. I like the idea that the island is "alien" to this world in the sense that it has been isolated and insulated (intentional wordplay) from the General Evolution of life forms in this planet. It's an interesting concept and you offer a path for the island's UNIQUE geological, biochemical and organic history.

I wish I could help you but I know nothing useful from "a real nuclear chemistry/chemical/partical physics level".

Jays, I can tell you that Tintin's "Mysterious Star" offers some parallels, like the effects of an unknown element to carbon based life forms on Earth: supergrowth, fugacity and atomic instability. It is of course, a science-fiction speculation, not a laboratory based research, but since Lost is sci-fi (and maybe even pseudo-science = magic) maybe it is good enough. If we have to buy that a 747 crashed the way it was shown, it won't be such a stretch to have an alternate encapsulated ecosystem on the island.

The element-X is an attempt to unify the cause for all the UNIQUE physical and biological properties of the island's ecosystem, attributing all the effects to one cause.

Would you include in this new theory some elements from your previous theories? I am thinking specially about the I-ching and the living matrix.
AutHORIzEd

Last edited by lacenaire; 06-21-06 at 09:42 PM.
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-06, 12:39 AM   #5
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

Quote:
I'm afraid, on a real nuclear chemistry/chemical/partical physics level this entire concept doesn't even make sense.
Ah, but you see thats the mystery behind element X. It doesn't correspond to what we might refer to as normality. It is perhaps entirely fictional, but that therein lies its mystery. It has narrative composition in regards to our LOST island. It ties things together in a 'Mystical' sence. Just as in the dawning of creation, the same sort of mystery seems to apply. Just why did life on Earth happen - we understand the narrative flow afterwards, and perhaps what sort of components went into it, similar to and perhaps even more mysterious, 'the big bang'. But why and how did it all happened might be called an 'event'. Yet what started it all and how it all eventaully fit together and indeed why such would be the case is rather speculation and hypothesis - well researched perhaps but still mysterious. Element X then represents that mystery. A deus ex machina explanation to tell us what sort of effects it might have on an eco-system or in a social environment (think of it rather as an imaginary or invisible number - something you 'predict' or invent in order to create a series of imanginative conclusions). Perhaps some better examples would be the Ether or the Universal Constant. I don't have a science degree but I know that there are plenty of science fiction ideas (and some fringe sciences) out there that simply run on narrative alone and it takes guts to get into the mechanics and work the hyper drive out - and you might just inspire yourself well your at it.

Quote:
Jays, I can tell you that Tintin's "Mysterious Star" offers some parallels,
I remember your mysterious star stuff Lacenair that was great stuff. You always find weird and wonderful stuff to correspond to peoples ideas. Perhaps it could be reposted here as an example of a sort of fictional narrative. I kind of understood element X rather as a kind of radiation actually.

Anyway, I gotta go to work.....
Old 06-22-06, 01:06 AM   #6
lacenaire
Sees Walt

I posted the Tintin parallel to defend Yung's and even your explanation of the weirdness of the island (silicon, lithium, crystals...) based on the influence of a meteorite with strange properties creating a UNIQUE enviroment on the island. It's posted as a way of showing that concepts like these even if uncanny for strict scientists, have been already used in other books, comics and tv shows with success. Basically, I always post these kind of things when someone says that a theory doesn't make sense in relation to established present day science. Since I don't think that established present day science (only General Relativity and only parts of Quantum mechanics) is capable to provide an explanation to the island's UNIQUENESS, I post these types of posts as a kind of manifestos or declarations of independence if you will.

Here it is:

http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...=15883&page=21

Quote:

Tintin sees a new big star in the GREAT BEAR constellation.

He goes to the observatory to gather statements from the astronomers. He crosses paths with a lunatic claiming it's a sign that the end of the world is coming.

Tintin peeks through the telescope. The astronomer confirms the worst predictions. It will be indeed the end of the world.

The meteorite crashes into Earth. It turns out the apprentice of the astronomer committed errors in his calculations. However spectrographic data prooves that the meteorite is made of a new metalic element.

Tintin realizes the meteorite could be an island on the ocean. And an expedition is organized to retrieve data from the meteorite.

But there's a rival expedition founded by some ruthless private investor that would do anything to get there before. And it seems they are going to succeed

But Tintin parachutes from the plane and plants the flag first.

The island is pretty weird. It's located in the Arctic but enjoys a tropical climate. The ocean water around is very hot. Things grow too fast and too big. Mushrooms just explode and vanish into thin air.

In the end, the island is engulfed by the sea but Tintin manages to save a piece of the meteorite.
AutHORIzEd

Last edited by lacenaire; 06-22-06 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 02:08 AM   #7
LQ Jones
Pushes the Button

Quote:
the influence of a meteorite with strange properties creating a UNIQUE enviroment on the island.
Lacenaire -- What if the island's properties are from something inside the earth and not from outer space ?
Black rock.....mining equipment.....Dark Territory...
Below is a science article you may find interesting.
"Minerals Go Dark Near the Earth's Core"

http://www.physorg.com/preview67788052.html

Hmmmm...
"A Journey to the Center of the Earth" comes to mind.
I have a feeling S3 is going to be a lot like a Jules Verne adventure...
LQ Jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-06, 02:56 AM   #8
jaystao
Seeker of Island Tao
Talks Backwards

Naturally forming dark matter (or something along those lines). Now thats interesting. The reason I intentionally used the commit idea was simply a narrative construct since LOST has a 'cthonic' theme (that is Up and Down, heaven and hell is a repetitive metaphor on lost), so I wanted something that was both 'heavenly and earthly'. However some kind of Super Setellite reading data projected from the earths layers and inturn seeding the island with some kind of pulse or controll signal (or inturn seeding the world with the islands unholly signature) might do. Now this has got similar conotations to the 'dark territory' thread (representing the dark territory as an ecological hive mind created by some kind of enigmatic dark element). At any rate I agree that it seems like the 'others' are mining something (perhaps why a need for 'the strongest').

Quote:
"A Journey to the Center of the Earth" comes to mind.
I have a feeling S3 is going to be a lot like a Jules Verne adventure...
A steady progression into the depths of both earth and soul. What madness lie benieth (abandon all hope all ye who enter here - save yourselves from hell).

Its amazing the similarity between some of the proponants of the Tintin story and the element X idea. Really its quite a common narrative theme in science fiction. In comic books radiation is often used to create abnormal effects - gamma rays create the HULK, The Dare Devils abilities are created from exposure to toxic waste. In Smallvile (I should have picked up on that one actually) the mutants that SuperMan battles are created from his landing on earth and exposure of the townsfolk to the alien metal Kryptonite. So to explain the crux of this thread in laymens terms - this thread in away is suggesting that the islands unique signature is a bit like Krytonite and its effects on the surrounding ecology of Smallville.
Old 06-23-06, 03:28 AM   #9
Son of Locke
Sees Walt

Jays,

Fantastic stuff (and credit to all those from whom you drew support and inspiration). Maybe you can recruit Farmer Ted or some other more adventurous scientists to play with this idea.

Someday I see a marriage between FMTM and EX...
Old 07-01-06, 12:38 PM   #10
lacenaire
Sees Walt

Hi Jays, in Odyssey 5...

Spoiler: Serious spoiler this happens in the last episode aired

The 5 find that a secret organization within NASA
was hiding an unknown mineral,
a black rock

code name AHL 3B
that was brought from the moon.

After analyzing it they discover that it was really a mineral from Mars
this mineral is giving off a subaudible pitch,
soundwaves that disrupt the quartz crystals of their watches
a consistent pattern vibration that indicates the mineral is an artificial construct

which is in reality a binary code that forms 2 numbers: 95 243

which are the number of protons and the atomic weight
of another element called Americium

that combined with element AHL 3B
causes this reaction:

The spikes are shot at high speed

And transform into some kind of biomechanical sentient organism

that can transfer its memory to a host (red lines of circuitry)

Maybe not pushing the button caused
some interaction between element X
and some geological element /s (non metallic minerals?) ?

Hey, Jays, are there elements in the periodic table
whose crystal structre is octagonal?
AutHORIzEd

Last edited by lacenaire; 07-01-06 at 02:14 PM.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »