Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > Dharma and the Cold War

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 07-31-06, 03:19 AM   #1
Lawboy
Widmore Corp. Hatchet Man
Sees Walt

Dharma and the Cold War

After watching pieces of the fragments put out in the ARG, it appears that the Cold War was a motivating factor for the creation of Dharma and its activities. Mr. Beardy mentions the US and Soviets on more than one ocassion and references the CUban Missile crisis, which was the watermark for tensions between the two nations. Through the UN Security Council, an organization of only five permanent nations in the UN body (including the US, modern day Russia, China, Great Britain, France and then a few nations on a 2-year term basis), a protocol implememnted was and some research was done. What this is exactly is unknown, but the basis for my theory.

Basically, I think Dharma was formed by 2 nations in the Security Council and put into place in the event on a nuclear holocaust. The people on the island initially were hand picked from various disciplines, including arts, sciences, mathematics, etc. to repopulate the earth in the event of a catastrophe. These people were chosen and recruited through Dharma because of the excellence in their fileds, and because of personality traits tested while on the island to ensure continued qualification.

The island was picked as the location to hide these people because of its remoteness from the USA and USSR. Also, because of its unique magnetic and gravitational capabilities. Certain aspects of the island could shield it from not only attack, but also from atmospheric irregularities that result from nuclear activity. The island had certain protections for the inhabitants in the event of a disaster.

But somehting happened that was somewhat unexpected--the Cold War ended, or at least drastically changed. The risk of Nuclear War between two superpowers became remote at best, and the world became much smaller due to technology. This changed the nature and present need for the Dharma Project, and certain parties lost their interest in overseeing and funding this endeavor. (I assume that these parties were the USA-USSR, who no longer wanted or were capable to fund an expensive project). But, the Dharma members still believed in their cause, and would not give up on their idealistic venture. So, while the main parties abandoned the project, it continued on its own through oversight on The Hanso Foundation and other benefactors, possibly WIdmore and Paik. But somewhere along the way, a power play struggle occurred, and the original scientists dropped out of sight to continue their venture on their own without outside influence. Which brings us to where we are now.

I think that Dharma and its members are unique individuals trying to achieve an ideal in the event of a nuclear holocaust. To them, it is just a matter of time(whether 1 year or 1,000) and they are preparing for that day. In the mean time, outisde forces are attempting to gain access to the island and seize control of it for their own purposes. Whether it is governments(USA, France, Great Britian) or industry (Widmore, Paik HAnso). Obviously, its unique characteristics are desirous to unscupulous dealers who can use it for their own purposes.

Give Life, Be an Organ Donor.
http://www.pkdcure.org http://kidney.org

Lawboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-06, 04:30 PM   #2
deumilcat
Pushes the Button

Re: Dharma and the Cold War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawboy
After watching pieces of the fragments put out in the ARG, it appears that the Cold War was a motivating factor for the creation of Dharma and its activities. Mr. Beardy mentions the US and Soviets on more than one ocassion and references the CUban Missile crisis, which was the watermark for tensions between the two nations. Through the UN Security Council, an organization of only five permanent nations in the UN body (including the US, modern day Russia, China, Great Britain, France and then a few nations on a 2-year term basis), a protocol implememnted was and some research was done. What this is exactly is unknown, but the basis for my theory.

Basically, I think Dharma was formed by 2 nations in the Security Council and put into place in the event on a nuclear holocaust. The people on the island initially were hand picked from various disciplines, including arts, sciences, mathematics, etc. to repopulate the earth in the event of a catastrophe. These people were chosen and recruited through Dharma because of the excellence in their fileds, and because of personality traits tested while on the island to ensure continued qualification.

The island was picked as the location to hide these people because of its remoteness from the USA and USSR. Also, because of its unique magnetic and gravitational capabilities. Certain aspects of the island could shield it from not only attack, but also from atmospheric irregularities that result from nuclear activity. The island had certain protections for the inhabitants in the event of a disaster.

But somehting happened that was somewhat unexpected--the Cold War ended, or at least drastically changed. The risk of Nuclear War between two superpowers became remote at best, and the world became much smaller due to technology. This changed the nature and present need for the Dharma Project, and certain parties lost their interest in overseeing and funding this endeavor. (I assume that these parties were the USA-USSR, who no longer wanted or were capable to fund an expensive project). But, the Dharma members still believed in their cause, and would not give up on their idealistic venture. So, while the main parties abandoned the project, it continued on its own through oversight on The Hanso Foundation and other benefactors, possibly WIdmore and Paik. But somewhere along the way, a power play struggle occurred, and the original scientists dropped out of sight to continue their venture on their own without outside influence. Which brings us to where we are now.

I think that Dharma and its members are unique individuals trying to achieve an ideal in the event of a nuclear holocaust. To them, it is just a matter of time(whether 1 year or 1,000) and they are preparing for that day. In the mean time, outisde forces are attempting to gain access to the island and seize control of it for their own purposes. Whether it is governments(USA, France, Great Britian) or industry (Widmore, Paik HAnso). Obviously, its unique characteristics are desirous to unscupulous dealers who can use it for their own purposes.
I m new to the webmaze but got interested in how you mentionned that Paik Widmore & possible other powerplayers try to gain access to the Island. That s the bottom of my entire theory of Lost the TVShow (link in my sig) maybe you can help me with your knowledge of the webmaze by contending it (I m on the webmaze right now but still havent read much)
Old 07-31-06, 04:36 PM   #3
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
But somehting happened that was somewhat unexpected--the Cold War ended, or at least drastically changed. The risk of Nuclear War between two superpowers became remote at best, and the world became much smaller due to technology. This changed the nature and present need for the Dharma Project, and certain parties lost their interest in overseeing and funding this endeavor. (I assume that these parties were the USA-USSR, who no longer wanted or were capable to fund an expensive project). But, the Dharma members still believed in their cause, and would not give up on their idealistic venture.
Lawboy: Great theory! I really think you're onto something about the cold war ending and changing the equation. What I don't get it why Dharma is still so consumed with the threat of nuclear annihilation if, as you say, the threat has become remote. Plus, there's a lot of emphasis in Beardy's film about Dharma and the "one true way."

I wonder if DIHG eventually decided that the Dharma part was more important. What if they decided to cause the nuclear annihilation themselves somehow?

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-06, 07:45 AM   #4
Maestra
For the Children
Brainwashed in Room 23

Send a message via MSN to Maestra Send a message via Yahoo to Maestra

What do you think of Mittelwerk's current actions? Doesn't it seem he is preparing for something huge with the Spider Protocol (whatever that may be...)? Is this planned global destruction, or something much less menacing?

As we view more of the video through HansoExposed, I wonder why he is using the old orientation film...who is he showing it to...and for what purpose?

I look forward to seeing how upcoming events fit in with your theory, Lawboy!
Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-06, 08:51 PM   #5
Lawboy
Sees Walt

The main holes I have with my own theory relate to the timeline. Basically, Dharma has been off grid for about 30 years, per Rachel. (obviously, they still receive food drops). The Cold War has been over for only about 20 years now. So that does not jive exactly.

But I definitely think that the Cold War and the propaganda of the time has motivated certain people in ways that they would not ordinairly act.

Old 08-02-06, 08:47 PM   #6
Hurley4Prez
Resident Zombie Slayer
Sees Walt

I don't keep up with TLE much, but this is the best theory I've heard all hiatus (most of S2 really). I'm really digging the fact that it's very tight and concise, not needing 8 pages. Although similar theories have been out there since S1, you've tied it all together very well considering the new information as provided. I hope this generates discussion.
Old 08-03-06, 03:36 PM   #7
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Hurley: I agree -- lawboy is really onto something. And the cold war angle definitely fits with the new orientation film, though I'm hard pressed to see how the soviets fit into the picture. They're mentioned in the new film, but I've seen no indication of a russian influence on the island.

lawboy: The timing is off but not by much. My reading of the Blast Door Map suggests that things really went awry for good around 1985-86. Gorbachev was elected in '85 and probably started implementing Glasnost in earnest the next year. The USSR started to dissolve for good in '89 -- that's a little late for this theory. Still, I'm struck by this notion of people starting to question the necessity of measures they previously saw as justified by world events.

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-06, 04:29 PM   #8
Hurley4Prez
Resident Zombie Slayer
Sees Walt

Quote:
Still, I'm struck by this notion of people starting to question the necessity of measures they previously saw as justified by world events.
That's what made the theory so interesting for me as well.
Old 08-03-06, 05:02 PM   #9
Lawboy
Sees Walt

I think world events, or at least, perceived world events are huge motivating factors for people. At that time, i am sure the tension for the every day person was pretty high. Much like it is now with the events in the Middle East or North Korea. Obviously, the general public typically does not get the total picture, for security or other reasons. But there is something of a hopelessness that goes along with watching these events unfold that may affect us, but that we can not control. Enter Dharma.

Dharma members are able to take back some control in this process. Even if it is just perceived control, they feel more empowered by involvement with a group that is supposedly working to stop these horrific events from happening in the future. Obviously, we now know that Valezetti and his equation fit in here somewhere. Whether this is a doomsday forecast, or a forecast on how to prevent the doomsday event from occuring, the Dharma members are working towards stopping something and gaining some control. And this makes sense to me. That is why is think Fenry says that "we are the good guys". They may do some bad things, but it is to them justified by the greater good of preventing the doomsday forecast from occurring. They feel so strongly in what they are doing that they may have taken over the project from the initial groups that headed the project and funded it. I think these groups may now be trying to regain some control, with the Losties stuck in the middle of these events.

Obivously, this does not explain events from the early to mid 1980's until now, but it might explain the why of the beginning.

Old 08-03-06, 06:42 PM   #10
LAN
Hull Master
Sees Walt

Just thought of this..... There is quite a bit of evidence that there is some kind of competition or battle occurring surrounding the island, that started well before flight 815 crashed there. I am thinking along the lines of Hanso Foundation vs Widmore etc. The others vs Dharma. The experimenters vs the experimentees. Dharma vs. the Hostiles...etc etc etc.

Can you guys think of a possible scenario where one side of the war has an interest in starting armageddon, while the other side has an interest in averting it?

For instance, DHARMA seems (I try not to take anything for granted with this show) like they are interested in avoiding armageddon. This is thoroughly fleshed out in Lawboys theory in this here thread. But some evidence for this: They are trying to find Valenzetti. The acronym DHARMA itself seems to indicate an interest in studying human actions in the face of extinction. Experimental stations like the swan also seemed to be interested in this same study.

What if, on the other hand Widmore (or someone else) had an interest in sabotaging the DHARMA initiative in order to encourage Armageddon. Maybe Widmore is run by maniacal fringe group that has figured out a way to protect itself from nuclear war (by say creating a protective bubble around an island that cant be seen by the outside world) and is pursuing a Utopian society that will repopulate the world once Nuclear winter has passed.

I am fudging on the details, and its purely speculation (obviously), but you can see what I am getting at. This would explain a lot of the loose ends I think. Why alvar is missing. Why Valenzetti is missing.

Am i nutsos????......if anyone wants I can throw in my default Fountain of Youth theory in the mix as well.....

Last edited by LAN; 08-03-06 at 06:47 PM.
LAN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »