Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion > Why is "Carrie" Juliet's favorite book? Foreshadowing, anyone...?

Old 10-20-06, 05:12 PM   #1
DharmaBum01
Seeks Rescue

Why is "Carrie" Juliet's favorite book? Foreshadowing, anyone...?

A flight of conjecture:

Early in "A Tale of Two Cities," Juliet tells Adam-the-Twerp that "Carrie" by Stephen King (1974) is her favorite book — in response to his assertion that "[Ben] wouldn't read this in the damn bathroom."
[Compare this screen cap from the book club scene to the book's cover for confirmation of the book's identity.]
Why would anyone consider "Carrie" her favorite book — and what, if anything, might this portend for Juliet's character?

In the book, Carrie is a shy, naοve teenage girl who gradually discovers and exercises telekinetic powers in response to the teasing and bullying of her peers. [Et tu, Adam and Ben? ...and, perchance, Jack?] She is also "somewhat telepathic, enough to be able to discern people's real feelings toward her." At school, Carrie is ruthlessly tormented when she begins menstruating in the showers after gym class. In the movie version (1976), Carrie "unintentionally uses her powers to break a mirror in her room" later that day when her mother locks her in a closet in response to this evidence of her sinful sexuality. [No, she wasn't listening to "Downtown" and holding back tears with a smile at the time...]

Carrie's tormenters among the divas at school go way too far — and pay a horrible price. They set her up as prom queen, arranging for Carrie's utter humiliation by drenching her with a bucket of pig's blood during her purported moment of glory. In reaction, Carrie wreaks havoc. She uses her telekinetic powers to lock all the exits and drench prom-goers with water from the sprinkler system. But things go tragically awry — resulting in electrocution and rampant fiery deaths.

Like its contemporary, "Jaws" ("just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..."), Carrie left an indelible imprint on the psyche of fans:
"Don't mess with Carrie, or you will die."

Imho, Juliet is an intriguing character from the outset — displaying a wounded innocence, an apparent penchant as a focus for ridicule, and the potential to manipulate. I particularly appreciate the ambivalence [may I say two-faced++ ?] that Elizabeth Mitchell brings to each of Juliet's wry smiles and actions that we've seen so far...

D u h — I realize that I'm reaching, trying to consider what it might mean that "Carrie" is Juliet's favorite book. ("Carrie" was King's first published work; one that he considered very rough and "raw." Although it eventually earned a following in paperback — and #77 on the American Library Association's Top 100 banned books list — "Carrie" is certainly an unusual choice of favorite...)

Such bizarre behaviors and consequences for a character are unlikely — right? Particularly given TPTB's tendency to litter "Lost" with literary allusions without much, if any, follow-through.

But you never know...
DharmaBum01 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-06, 06:52 AM   #2
Another Time
Flashes Back

Location: In the Hydra enjoying some grilled cheese and muffins
Re: Why is "Carrie" Juliet's favorite book? Foreshadowing, anyone...?

I'm inclined to think it's just a nod to Stephen King, but if it does have something to do with the plot, then it's perhaps a reference to Walt.

I think that, at this point, TPTB are just putting this stuff in the show to see if we'll obsess over it.

M.U.F.F.I.N.S. gonna change my world
M.U.F.F.I.N.S. gonna change my world
Another Time is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-06, 03:16 AM   #3
DharmaBum01
Seeks Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Time View Post
I think that... TPTB are just putting this stuff in the show to see if we'll obsess over it.
Thanks for your reply, Another Time.

I agree that they probably get their jollies by throwing in a kitchen sink of allusions, baffling minutia, SNAFUed mysteries, etc. Using their own "Insider" terminology, there's no way all such flotsam can "arc" back like a boomerang and mean something. Actually, I wish they'd channel a bit more of that sense of humor directly into the scripts — the show's seldom funny enough for my taste.

Anyway, 'twasn't my intent to "obsess" about "Carrie," if that's your implication. Just thought the idea of Juliet "doing a Carrie" later on (or in a flashback) was amusing and worth sharing . . .

Now "M.U.F.F.I.N.S" — that wouldn't be obsessive, I suppose . . . ?

DharmaBum01 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-06, 03:20 AM   #4
LPU
Muffin Man
Squishes the Frog

Send a message via AIM to LPU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaBum01 View Post

Now "M.U.F.F.I.N.S" — that wouldn't be obsessive, I suppose . . . ?

Heck no!

As much as anything I see the book as just one more reference to special children. Whether it has to do with Juliet, Walt, J/K/S or the dirty little barefooted other children I have no idea. But I do think that's it's fairly significant.