Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion > Who is Kevin Tighe and how do you pronounce his last name?

Old 03-23-07, 09:32 AM   #1
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.
Who is Kevin Tighe and how do you pronounce his last name?

I guess everyone has to have a cast member they champion, so I'm claiming Kevin. Simple reason for this is that a fond memory of my youth was watching Emergency! every week. Absolutely loved the show. Kevin as L.A. County Fire Department Paramedic Roy deSoto and Randy Mantooth as his partner John Gage. Also the staff of Rampart General, where they frequently took thier rescued victims for treatment, Robert Fuller as Dr. Kelly Brackett, MD, FACS, Robert Troup as Dr. Joe Early, MD, FACS, and Julie London once a popular singer most noted today for her wonderful duet with Louis Armstrong of What A Wonderful World, as Dixie McCall.

The program actually laid the ground for public acceptance of Fire Department Paramedics, with remarkable technological advancements such as radio telemetry of patient vital statistics. Yup. Brackett, Early and Nurse Dixie didn't just come running out when the ambulance showed up at the ER, they were in radio contact with Gage and DeSoto, who would hook up the victim to a mobile EKG (about the size of a small suitcase) which would send the signal back to Rampart where Dr. Brackett would read the EKG and order them to administer 5 mG of ringers lactate (whatever that is).

Later, Kevin was the guy who hired Patrick Swayzie to clean up his bar in Roadhouse, and has had a lot of small roles since then. As for Randy Mantooth, following the cancellation of Emergency he showed up in a TV series adaptation of the classic Cary Grant/Tony Curtis WWII submarine comedy Operation Pettycoat with John Astin in the old Grant role of the skipper of a pink submarine (long story, the approved colors for undercoat are either red or white, they had to scrounge their own, wound up with enough of each to paint half the sub, mixing them so that the color difference wouldn't show through when they put on the final grey paint, which the Navy refused to supply.) Great movie, see it, skip the series, although Curtis's daughter did appear as one of the Navy nurses (don't ask...just go rent it) before getting her breakthrough role in Halloween. Oh...if you didn't know that Jamie Lee Curtis is the daughter of Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh, shame on you unless you are under 25.

Tighe and Mantooth have remained good friends, with Kevin being the best man at Randy's 1999 wedding. London and Troup (he was a jazz musician himself) were married from 1959 until his death in 1999. She died the following year.

By the way, someone needs to smack IMDb.com upside the head on this one. I went there for confirmation of my memory and found that thier listing is sorely inadequate. Wikipedia proved much more useful. Oh, and I have always pronounced Kevin's last name "Tie", but I have never heard otherwise.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-07, 02:27 PM   #2
Farmer Ted
Laid Paulo in His Grave
Talks Backwards

Re: Who is Kevin Tighe and how do you pronounce his last name?

Holy Crap, he is the dude from Emergency! I loved that show, too. My favorite one (that I remember) was the one where there was some dude lying down in a city park with a rubber rattlesnake on his chest as a hoax. The dude's from Emergency thought it was real, and sprayed it with a fire extinguisher. I'm really not sure what good they thought that was going to do. Then they picked it up, and it was rubber. The first time I saw it, I was maybe 5 or 6 years old, and didn't understand the scene. I thought that the snake was real, and spraying it with the extinguisher turned it to rubber. I guess it never occurred to me that the dude should've turned into rubber, too.
Old 03-23-07, 02:41 PM   #3
cinderellabop
Mother Confessor
Hears the Whispers

I always think of him as "the evil dad." He played evil Warden Snyder in Newsies, and I believe he also played the father of one of the characters on Freaks and Geeks.
cinderellabop is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-07, 08:42 AM   #4
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Ted
Holy Crap, he is the dude from Emergency! I loved that show, too.
Yup...

One of my faves was the one where they were responding to a call and the apparently hit a school crossing guard. Right in front of a bunch of 5th graders. Gage and DeSoto spend the entire ep sweating bullets until their LAPD Detective pal manages to snag the guy's prints and it turns out he's a former circus performer who made some good bucks back in the day by jumping out of the way of oncoming cars in such a way as to appear to onlookers that he had been hit and then suing the drivers.

Avatar and sig img courtesy of vincentstuntdbl#23
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-07, 07:02 PM   #5
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Stares Down Smokey

Wasnt he also Mary Steenburgen's husband in What's Eating Gilbert Grape? The character had a coronary and drowned in the kiddie swimming pool. The town blamed Mary but her only crime was squeezing Gilbert's grapes. Di Caprio had his first oscar nomination in that movie, btw. He was great. The movie was great.

"We're friends with the chick with the sword and the kid with the hat."
boonian androphile is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-07, 08:49 PM   #6
merry slug
saved by zero
Squishes the Frog

He was my first crush (in Emergency!).

FYI - the first 3 seasons are out on DVD now
Old 04-16-07, 08:09 PM   #7
The Life of Riley
Slay Belle
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to The Life of Riley Send a message via Yahoo to The Life of Riley Send a message via Skype™ to The Life of Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderellabop View Post
I always think of him as "the evil dad." He played evil Warden Snyder in Newsies, and I believe he also played the father of one of the characters on Freaks and Geeks.
Those were the first two parts I mentioned to my friend when he first appeared!

Sig by the lovely DogMa
The Life of Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-09, 01:33 AM   #8
merry slug
saved by zero
Squishes the Frog

I'm flipping channels and I just came across "When Weather Changed History" of the Weather Channel. They're talking about the crash of Delta Flight 191 in Dallas in 1985. As they're mentioning that the first responders hopped in an open cab fire truck they flash a picture of it, and oh yeah, it's from Emergency!

They just showed it for a second, I'm sure they weren't thinking an obsessed fan like myself would spot Kiven and Randy right off the bat.
Old 09-14-09, 01:45 AM   #9
Frecklestoo
Talking Dead
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry slug View Post
He was my first crush (in Emergency!).

FYI - the first 3 seasons are out on DVD now
I had a crush on him way back then, too. I was a HUGE fan of Emergency! You can also watch episodes on Fancast.com, although the video quality is terrible.

If you enjoy my nonsense on MyMedia, then follow my blog!
Frecklestoo is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-09, 01:57 AM   #10
klh
Carpe Cetum
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by merry slug View Post
They just showed it for a second, I'm sure they weren't thinking an obsessed fan like myself would spot Kiven and Randy right off the bat.
What about Chet? I always imagined Chet as the one who could frequently be found out in back of the fire house lighting one up.
klh is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion »