Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Do i Have a Time Travel Theory for You!

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 05-25-07, 02:58 AM   #1
time is a river
World Traveler
Talks Backwards

+ Do i Have a Time Travel Theory for You!

Okay, this is a wild theory that I just thought up. I think it is more intriguing than plausible, but hey it is going to be a long summer, so I thought I would spin it out.

Start with the fact that the code Charlie enters in to unjam the communications is the notes in the song Good Vibrations. This could be a message that the fact that the communications are jammed and the Losties cannot communicate off-island is a good thing. Then when Charlie is informed that a musician programmed the code he gets a very weird look on his face. So my speculation is that Charlie programmed this code.

How? In the first chain of events Charlie did not die. He lived into the future where he was as depressed and unfulfilled as Jack. Somehow it became possible for him (and some others?) to travel back in the past to the island before the crash of flight 815. Maybe he (they) infiltrated the Others and did all sorts of things to make it impossible for the Losties to get off the island once they did crash there. And then, zip, they travel back to the future.

But once they do crash there, they don't know about their future unhappiness off the island and so do everything they can do to get off the island. It is their past selves trying to outwit their future selves, and vice versa.

John Locke makes that strange statement to Jack at the very end of the episode: "You weren't supposed to do that, Jack." The future Jack tried to set it up so that his past self can't get off the island. But his past self defeats the efforts of his future self. So Jack is doomed to unhappiness in the future.

Of course there are two more seasons, so maybe their future selves can finally arrange to win and arrange for them to stay on the island.

time is a river is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 03:46 AM   #2
zartan
Flashes Back

Re: Do i Have a Time Travel Theory for You!

I don't think that Charlie programmed the code... at all. His wierd look is because the code is programmed to a Beach Boys tune, and that is an odd code for a jamming signal- let alone a jamming signal that he is fated to unlock.

However, I do think that time will play an important role in the island. My theory is that time on the island moves slower (thus the anagram LOST TIME), so once Jack and Kate are rescued they catch up with the normal time stream. When Jack (and maybe Kate) return to the island, they will have gone for years, but it will seem like just yesterday to those who stayed (like Narnia). Perhaps they will somehow meet themselves and warn themselves against following the path that turns Jack into a suicidal drug addict.

A big reason they may do time shift is because Walt is aging so quickly. The producers have said on at least one occasion that Alias was clever in it's time shift, and that they might do something similar. Somehow, the flashforwards will resolve this.
zartan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 02:38 PM   #3
rvturnage
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by time is a river View Post
John Locke makes that strange statement to Jack at the very end of the episode: "You weren't supposed to do that, Jack." The future Jack tried to set it up so that his past self can't get off the island. But his past self defeats the efforts of his future self. So Jack is doomed to unhappiness in the future.
The universe is course correcting itself back to the way it was meant to be.

I don't know if I buy that this is what's going on...but it makes the most sense of any of the time travel theories I've read.

rvt
rvturnage is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 03:15 PM   #4
Inflatable_Raft
Seeks Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by time is a river View Post
Okay, this is a wild theory that I just thought up. I think it is more intriguing than plausible, but hey it is going to be a long summer, so I thought I would spin it out.

Start with the fact that the code Charlie enters in to unjam the communications is the notes in the song Good Vibrations. This could be a message that the fact that the communications are jammed and the Losties cannot communicate off-island is a good thing. Then when Charlie is informed that a musician programmed the code he gets a very weird look on his face. So my speculation is that Charlie programmed this code.

How? In the first chain of events Charlie did not die. He lived into the future where he was as depressed and unfulfilled as Jack. Somehow it became possible for him (and some others?) to travel back in the past to the island before the crash of flight 815. Maybe he (they) infiltrated the Others and did all sorts of things to make it impossible for the Losties to get off the island once they did crash there. And then, zip, they travel back to the future.

But once they do crash there, they don't know about their future unhappiness off the island and so do everything they can do to get off the island. It is their past selves trying to outwit their future selves, and vice versa.

Of course there are two more seasons, so maybe their future selves can finally arrange to win and arrange for them to stay on the island.
I believe it. It sounds very plausible.

And might I add, that it's possible that the island is a manifestation of Destiny itself. The island uses certain things (like Smokie) to stop those who would ultimately harm the fabric of Destiny. That's why Smokey judge people, to see how it can alter their state of mind or just stop them altogether. If I'm not mistaken Smokey failed at killing Jack once, but I could be wrong.
Inflatable_Raft is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 04:22 PM   #5
edgesidemack
Arrives By Sub

I think you're on to something...Remember back during Season 1 when TLE was just getting started with the Oceanic Airlines website...Manipulation of the seating chart could reveal little clues to what was coming (like the dancing vodka bottle that came up when you hit Jack's seat, which, by the way, makes more sense now)...Anyway, one of the little nuggets you could uncover if you did things right was a script page from an upcoming episode (they never said how far from airing it was) in which Jack scrambles out of an underground hatch, scared out of his mind, only to be tackled by...Jack. Now that we know where Jack is headed once back in civilization, I think it makes sense that we now begin to follow the story of his struggle to get back to the island to correct his mistakes. Since I am firmly convinced that (due somehow to quantum mechanics) time moves more slowly on the Island, Jack is able to go back and try to prevent his younger self from making the mistakes which lead to his future misery...As we can see, the producers have already given us a sneak peek that this will happen.
edgesidemack is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 04:53 PM   #6
ovidhead
Follows the Cable

The more I think about the finale the more I think that the bearded Jack scenes were indeed flashbacks, not in linear time but in story event time. Obviously bearded Jack was driving around in 2007, but it could be a previous version of 2007 in which Jack and Kate return to the island, leading to the 2004 we all know and love.

I like the idea that we don't yet know whether they are going to leave the island when the show returns. Better cliffhanger IMHO.
ovidhead is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 05:40 PM   #7
thoughtform
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:

You have gotten really close to a theory I've been thinking about for a long time. I think it makes a lot of sense, even though it makes my head hurt after thinking about it for a while. That is why I think Jack is so eager to get back to the island. He obviously finds out that the "others" or the "island" have a way to manipulate the fabric of time/space. Or he wouldn't be trying to find it obsessively, right? He feels that he can "fix" things if he goes back. It goes along with the way Mrs. Hawking was able to know about Des.
thoughtform is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-07, 05:49 PM   #8
Tenderbranson
Arrives By Sub

i was watching an interview with Dom Monaghan, i think it was Jimmy Kimmel and he said that the creators had told him vaguely what would happen it the end of lost.

he said that it would be scientifically possible rather than being aliens, etc. Thats why i think this theory maybe incorrect.

i do like the theory though and there seems to be alot of mystery surrounding a number of the flashbacks,for example Des and Charlie

Last edited by Tenderbranson; 05-25-07 at 06:14 PM.
Tenderbranson is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-07, 01:01 AM   #9
time is a river
World Traveler
Talks Backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderbranson View Post
i was watching an interview with Dom Monaghan, i think it was Jimmy Kimmel and he said that the creators had told him vaguely what would happen it the end of lost.

he said that it would be scientifically possible rather than being aliens, etc. Thats why i think this theory maybe incorrect.

i do like the theory though and there seems to be alot of mystery surrounding a number of the flashbacks,for example Des and Charlie
Well, there is debate in the scientific community as to what is scientifically possible.

Spoiler: recollections from a podcast
In a podcast, Damon or Carlton said that Lost would be as scientifically plausible as a Michael Crichton novel. I think the exact word were: nothing that you would not find in a Michael Crichton novel. One of his novels featured time travel, Timeline.

Plus, I respect Dom Moneghan, but I wonder what HE includes in the category of being scientifically possible.

time is a river is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-26-07, 07:07 AM   #10
mallrat
Burned the Raft

Charlie gave a weird look that a musician programmed the code because, low and behold, of the survivors he's a musician and the right man for the job. FATE. It's the same look I had after I heard it. Nice touch by the writers.

Yes the writers say based in science, but the smoke monster and visions, are already stretching it. I think they mean that in their world, it is all things to do with science, but that Island has properties like no other, so the writers have free will to make up "science" facts that aren't true in the real world. So it's kind of a cheat, but also the best way to do it. And does it matter? The show rocks. Whatever the smoke monster is, who cares if its science or mystical or aliens or whatever. I just want to know what the answer is to that question. 3 years away...
mallrat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »