Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion > The Updated Lost-TV Dictionary...now with muffins.

Old 09-13-07, 01:48 AM   #1
foxxie

Muffin Queen
Squishes the Frog

Send a message via AIM to foxxie Send a message via Yahoo to foxxie
The Updated Lost-TV Dictionary...now with muffins.

The original Lost-TV dictionary was started by mystjade way back on 11-13-05 and updated many times with many contributions by many wonderful posters. I recently volunteered to take over dictionary duties and will do my best to keep it updated. Please post here and let me know what I've missed and anything you would like to see added. Well, here we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystjade
I have noticed that not everyone understands the Lost/TV/net lingo that we use here. I certainly didn’t at first. So I have compiled a short list of terms/definitions. Feel free to ask me to add to the list, I am sure that I have left a lot out. If you need any lost/TV/Net term defined, that isn't here, please ask, and I will do my best to answer.
Admin: Short form of administrator. Upper level Mods are admin's of the My Media message board/forum.

AFK: Normally seen in the chat room. It means, literally, away from keyboard. It's something that a chatter uses to let others know that they're stepping away from the computer for a time.

AL: Short form for Anna-Lucia Cortez's name.

Allowable Net Speak - Most netspeak is frowned upon, however there are a few exceptions. Netspeak, is Internet slang, and usually involves such thing's as substituting letter's with numbers. It also includes deliberately misspelled word's, such as Pwn (to own - to defeat).

ARG: Alternate Reality Game

Arzt: to blow up, to explode. Also, character Leslie Arzt who, well, Arzt-ed in S1.

Arztist - A character added to the show for the purpose of killing off later, i.e. Paulo and Nikki.

ASK: Admirers of Sweaty Kate. A group of posters dedicated to admiring Kate.

Avatar: The picture underneath your nickname/screen name.

BBR: The Boom Boom Room. A chat thread in the webmaze forum originally started to cut down on chatter in the specific webmaze threads. Found here.

Banned: Individuals who, because of past transgressions are not allowed to post here.

Basement: A community/Lost discussion forum originally part of Lost-TV, founded by some of the original posters here.

Beta: Another writer/poster who edits others' fanfiction.

btw: By the Way

Canon: a general rule, law, principle, or criterion by which something is judged; Basically it refers to the things related to LOST which are relevant to the show. Example: Jin's resume, as shown on TV, isn't considered canon because the information on it is incorrect. You can't use that as a basis for determining anything about the character, it's basically a useless prop. (thanks Brian!)

Capt Gorton -The name used when referring hillbilly redneck pirate in the boat.

C&C or Chair: Refers to the romantic pairing of Charlie and Claire.

C&CD: The Cast and Character Discussion area of the board where many discuss the different characters in depth beyond the General Discussion Area and the Episode Discussion threads.

CGZMcG: Captain Gorton/Zeke/McGainey. Copyright boonian androphile. The catch-all name applied to the man who took Walt in Exodus and is a recurring character on LOST.

Chops: Placing a picture of an LTV poster (with the poster's permission of course) into a different picture with always hilarious (and sometimes disturbing) results. Found here in the Lostaways section of the board.

DestinyTwins- Relates solely to Locke and Jack. It is used because some believe that the destiny of the castaways lies in the actions/relationship of Locke and Jack. Because it's the two of them in this theory, destiny twins seems relevant.

Dom: Dominic Monaghan is the actor who plays Charlie

ETA: Edited to Add; Prefaces an explanation of why that post has been edited.

Evie: Evangeline Lilly, the actress who plays Kate.

EZHack: This board was originally hosted by the company Ezboard, which was hacked in spring, 2005. A lot of the older posts are missing because of this hack. Ezboards is also reffered to as EZsuck's by some for that reason.

FBC/Flappy Black Crap: Mysterious black substance seen in Exodus, and disputably in the pilot

Flame: A slanderous Post, usually directed at another poster.

Foxy: Mathew Fox the actor who plays Jack.

FTW: For The Win/For The World.

Fuselage: Part of the plane that was burned in the first episode. Also, the official LOST forum set up by J.J.

GD: Shorthand for the General Discussion Board, here at lost-tv.

Golden Rule : The one thing that most, if not all, moderators and administrators refer to when referring to personal attacks on the board. The "Golden Rule" is simply - Attack the post, not the poster.

Guys: If someone refers to a thread in Guys, they are most likely referring to a thread in the Guys, Where are we? section of the board.

Harbls: Take an adorable picture of a kitten and add a funny caption and a harbl is born. Always good for pick me up. Found here in the Lostaways section of the board.

Havid This is a term that relates to Locke's hallucinations/visions/dreams that are possibly supplied to him by the island. It's the method that he interprets the islands instructions for him and how he's supposed to interact/deal with the other castaways. (i.e. helping Charlie with his drug problem, helping Boone rise above himself, his obsession with the hatch, etc.)

Hullinate/Hullinating: This one is hard to describe. It started from a random post and turned into a phenomenon. You can hullinate here in the Lostaways section of the board.

IIRC: If I Recall Correctly

ILFed or ILF'd: A term you will see in chat and possibly on the board referring to a random computer glitch where someone disappears and then comes right back for no apparent reason. The term ILF refers to member I_Like_Freckles since it happens to him quite a bit. Basically a random glitch where your computer or network throws you offline or disconnects you without your knowledge.

IMDb: The Internet Movie Database, has information pertaining to LOST.? Individuals can submit information without much hassle; so do not trust everything you read here.

imho: in my honest opinion or in my humble opinion

imo: in my opinion

ITA: I totally agree

IHTH: I hope that helps

Jate: A shipper’s term for the romantic pairing of Jack and Kate.

J.J.: Stands for J.J. Abrams, co creator of the show, and creator of Alias.

Jump the shark: a term to describe a moment when a tv show that was once great has reached a point where it will now decline in quality and popularity. This term was inspired by a scene in Happy Days.

J/K: Just Kidding
KWIM: know what I mean

lmao: laughing my a$$ off

lol: laughing out loud

Lost Literary Reference Index: An index of books that are referenced to lost, or seemed to influence it in some way. loststudies.com/losttv/lostlit.html

LOST THEORIES INDEX: A wonderful Index of all major theories that one should look into before proposing a new one.

Lucas: To Lucas something is to go back to the original and change it upon a subsequent showing.

Lurker: Someone who visits the site regularly but doesn't post frequently, or at all.

mittens: A chat term used to describe someone who's chatting, usually while inebriated, who's spelling and grammar appear as though they are typing with mittens on.

M.U.F.F.I.N.S.: Makes Unworthy Female Fuselagers Invisible, Nonexistent and Superfluous. A Juliet fan club and the place where you'll find the best muffins on the board at the Downtown Bakery and Bookclub. (or so I've heard ) Found here.

Necroposting: The act of bumping long dead threads for no apparent reason.

Necroposter: One who engages in this activity.

Netspeak Patrol: The grouping of regulars/veterans who attempt to keep Netspeak to a minimum here in line with the forum rules.

Newb: A new poster who reads the rules and attempts to follow them.

Noob: A poster that usually ignores the rules and does not attemp to follow them. The difference between a newb and noob is eplained very well by Mr. Cluck here.

NMM: Non-Metallic Metals...no...Minerals...no...Materials. Again, this one is difficult to explain. I'll just let y'all read up on it here.

OMG Oh my God

OP: Original Post (the first post in a thread) or Original Poster (the poster that started the thread).

Pace Defacer: Charlie's last name is Pace, therefore a Pace Defacer, is someone who defeats Charlie. So basically it's this year's Boone bashing.

Pigeonese: Language spoken by our very own Lost Pigeon. This unique language is most easily observed in the Community Polls section of the board.

PM: Personal Message sent from one member to another.

P.R.A.I.S.E.B.:Praise, Respect and Admiration for Intelligent Showmanship and Entertainment, Brutha'! A thread in GD for posting praise about LOST. A counterpart to W.H.A.T.D.A.H.E.L.L.

Purgatory: The place between heaven and hell. There is an often repeated, and much hated theory that they are all in Purgatory. This theory has also been dismissed by TPTB as untrue.

Red shirt: One of the survivors from the plane crash that is not a featured character, For example: Scott, Steve, and SBSSG. In the old Star Trek shows, the "red shirts" were the ones to die.

ROFL: rolling on floor laughing

RPG: Role Playing Game

SBSSG: Sexy Blue Striped Shirt Girl, One of the survivors who is not a featured characters but she has shown up a few times (on the beach, and in airport flashbacks). The actress Faith Fay who plays SBSSG sporadically posts on this site. Her thread can be found here.

SCEVE: Steve or Scott dies, but no one can ever remember which (on screen and off) so the remaining character is usually referred to as SCEVE.

Skate: A shipper’s term for the romantic pairing of Sawyer and Kate.

Shayid: The romantic pairing of Shannon and Sayid

Shippers: Shippers is a play on the word relationship. Shippers are People who strongly support the romantic pairing of two Characters. IE Charlie and Clair. Ship: Refers to the characters in the romantic pairing. I.e. Sayid and Shannon.

Skate: A shipper's term for the romantic pairing of Sawyer and Kate.

Slash: Male/male pairing of two heterosexual characters: I.e. Boone and Locke.

S.N.E.R.T.: Snot Nosed Egocentric Rambunctious TROLL, this leads to a S.N.E.R.T. alert.

Spam/Spamming: Post's or poster's whose sole purpose is either advertizing, double posting, or bringing in off topic or useless subject's. Spam and Spamming is Forbidden as it help's no one and hurt's everyone.

Spoilers: Information about upcoming episodes. This usually does not include previews but refers to information leaked to the media through online personalities like Kirsten (from E!), and Ausiello (From TV Guide).

Squeee A general expression of Glee, or happiness. It is generally disliked particularly if over used.

sticky: a message that stays at the top.

STOBOR: a name for the monster(s) / Security system (usually used in T&S)

STOP: The Society To Oust Purgatory (threads). A group of veteran posters who realize that the characters on LOST are not in Purgatory.

S.T.U.D.F.E.E. : The Society To Upset Dom Fans Efforts Everywhere. The definition explains itself. S.T.U.D.F.E.E. members don't necessarily dislike Dom/Charlie, rather, they attempt to counter the sometimes seemingly out of control Dom fanbase.

subnic: The nickname that can be found under a poster's name. Some poster's have special subnics and others have the standard subnics that change as more posts are accrued by the poster. The way to never get a special sunbnic is to ask for one. Don't say I never taught you anything.

TGILD: Thank God it's Lost Day

Thread Hen: A poster who waits by a thread or post, waiting
for a responce to 'hatch'

TLE: The Lost Experience. A webmaze game that occured during last summer's hiatus.

TPTB: The Powers That Be: Executive producers, creators, etc... Essentially the people who determine the fate of the show

Troll: A poster only here to cause problems (past trolls that have plagued lost-tv include TiVo and several variations on that name). Many trolls clone: create more then one online identity

T&S: Shorthand For Theories and Speculation Board, here at Lost-tv.

TSS: Tail Section Survivor's, AKA Tailies or Tailenders

TSTL: too stupid to live. A general reference to some, if not all the character's actions. Particularly in season 2 (thus far).

TWSS/TWHH: That's What She Said/That's What He Said. A reference from The Office usually used as innuendo.

W.H.A.T.D.A.H.E.L.L.: When Honchos Act Totally D______(Fill in the blank) And Handle Everything Like they are Lost. A thread for criticism of LOST. A couterpart to P.R.A.I.S.E.B.

Who's Who?: A comprehensive listing of who is who on LOST as detailed by our very own igator210.

WIT: If someone refers to a thread in WIT, they are most likely referring to a thread in the What I think is going on section of the board.

WTF: What the f***

A great site for chat definitions is:www.computerhope.com/jargon/chat.htm (Thanks Spidey)

Questions/ Comments/ problems? Please tell me.

OK, so there's my start. Again please let me know what I missed and I will add it.

Last edited by foxxie; 03-11-09 at 05:34 AM.
foxxie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-07, 01:55 AM   #2
Brian
Admirer of Sweaty Kate
Drinks Dharma Beer

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian
Re: The Updated Lost-TV Dictionary...now with muffins.

Thanks foxxie!

I see Warty's additions made it.

ETA - Since this thread will be the new home of the LTV Dictionary, I'll close the old one.
Old 09-13-07, 01:57 AM   #3
foxxie

Muffin Queen
Squishes the Frog

Anytime! Yep! Warty's made the list! And I already found a problem with my alphabetization.

*runs to fix*
Old 09-13-07, 05:54 AM   #4
The Life of Riley
Slay Belle
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to The Life of Riley Send a message via Yahoo to The Life of Riley Send a message via Skype™ to The Life of Riley

Nice work, foxxie!

Sig by the lovely DogMa
The Life of Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-07, 06:53 AM   #5
LPU
Muffin Man
Squishes the Frog

Send a message via AIM to LPU

I shoulda campaigned for more stuff...

Good job darlin!
Old 09-18-07, 06:03 AM   #6
MayBear
Queen of Smilies
Has Daddy Issues

Send a message via Yahoo to MayBear

Umm... I never read the old one...

Oops...

This one's great!
Old 09-18-07, 10:58 AM   #7
DogMa
Village Idiot
Talks Backwards

foxxie!!

It looks great.

~Keeper of Hurley's Clonazepam~
DogMa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-07, 09:04 PM   #8
Ian
You are tearing me apart, Lisa!
Cons the Conman

Please add the term Coleman to the dictionary. I said it in the chat and Mattie assumed it was a Cooler... to be light, lets just go with that.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-07, 12:34 AM   #9
J_C
Hypercreative
Talks Backwards

Perhaps Cerberus should be in there.

J_C is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-07, 01:52 AM   #10
foxxie

Muffin Queen
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostaway View Post
Please add the term Coleman to the dictionary. I said it in the chat and Mattie assumed it was a Cooler... to be light, lets just go with that.
OK, I give, what does it really mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyc View Post
Perhaps Cerberus should be in there.
Just to clarify, do you mean as another term for smokey?
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > General Discussion »