Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + The Constant

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 02-29-08, 04:36 AM   #1
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

+ The Constant

"IF THINGS GO WRONG, DESMOND HUME IS MY CONSTANT"

What does this mean?

Questions to consider:

1) Was that ALWAYS written in Dan's little book?

2) How would Desmond be his constant? When he only had a few brief encounters with him?

3) How does this "constant" thing actually work?

4) What does Dan expect to go wrong... and what HAS gone wrong?

My suggestions:

1) Was I wrong about the card-play last episode with Charlotte and Dan. I thought it was ESP. Is it memory loss? Daniel in Oxford says to Desmond: "Wouldn't I remember you from now?" and Desmond replies: "Maybe you forget." Dan: "How could I forget?" Now we get the simply hilarious line re:radiation "What about your head?"

2) So is Dan experiencing memory loss? Is that a "side-effect" or something that a "side-effect" is supposed to cure? He's on the island, and Charlotte is testing his memory, says that he is improving. He shows frustration from the slow rate of improvement. He is unsatisfied. When are you unsatisfied? When you are not getting what you expected. He expected something else from being on the island.

3) Dan mentions that Desmond will be affected from exposure to high levels of radiation.

Okay, here's the thing...

Daniel wanted to be unstuck in time. But with NO ERRORS. He is a scientist. He is experimenting. And what does your typical mad scientist do when he has exhausted what he can learn from Eloise? He performs experiments on himself.

IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG... Hume is his Constant. Does that really mean what we've taken it to mean so far? He gives this glib layman's explanation to Desmond-- you need something KNOWN or FAMILIAR in both times. Desmond is not really that familiar. He is not CONSTANT to Daniel. I'm thinking the answer is more mathematical.

Why does Daniel think that something may go wrong? High levels of radiation he got while experimenting with Eloise?

He thinks he can USE those high levels of radiation. He thinks something will happen when he goes through the barrier. What does he hope to accomplish?

I think he wants to get what Desmond got when the failsafe key was turned. I think he wants to go, not to the past, as Desmond did leaving the island. He wants to see the future. The test with Charlotte WAS an ESP test.

Basically, I think, this is my theory (sorry for the rambling):

1) Dan wants to unstick himself in time with the purpose of sending himself into not the past, but the future. He wants to have Desmond's "flashes."

2) Desmond is being used in the experiment BECAUSE of his experience. He is not Daniel's "constant" the way that Penny is Desmond's "constant." He is a variable. A way to mathematically gauge Dan's theories and calculations.

3) If something goes wrong-- that something would be Dan being affected like Desmond is. Because of the radiation. If Frank hadn't flown in straight, Dan would have the wrong side-effects. He would be trapped in the past, instead of having Desmond "flashes."

Summation of theory in two sentences:

Desmond is not Dan's "constant" in the sense that Penny is Desmond's "constant." Desmond is a "constant" in the mathematical term of the word-- his experience is something that Dan can use in his experiments in case Dan's attempts to alter himself go wrong.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-08, 05:17 AM   #2
jmb3rg3r
Not Amenable to Coercion
Sees Walt

Location: All you gotta do is take Main Street West to... or is it the Cross... That's funny, I can't remember
Re: The Constant

If people are getting unstuck in time all around you, that could well wreak havoc on your memory.

Also interesting to see time and memory potentially linked in this way, given the flashbacks and flashforwards.
jmb3rg3r is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-08, 06:31 AM   #3
IMLOSTRU?
"Dharmatic Detective"
Talks Backwards

Daniel wrote it in the book after he met Desmond. So after this experience it "appeared" in the 2004 journal. It is clear that the past can change the future and vice versa.
Old 02-29-08, 07:20 AM   #4
RunLoganRun
Blew Up the Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
1) Was I wrong about the card-play last episode with Charlotte and Dan. I thought it was ESP. Is it memory loss? Daniel in Oxford says to Desmond: "Wouldn't I remember you from now?" and Desmond replies: "Maybe you forget." Dan: "How could I forget?" Now we get the simply hilarious line re:radiation "What about your head?"
Remember, when we were introduced to Daniel, he was shown with a female caretaker. So, it is likely he has memory difficulties due to radiation exposure over the years. Maybe, he knows that the island has healing properties, and he was expecting his memory to improve quickly while on the island. This promise of healing was likely used to recruit him to go to the island in the first place.
RunLoganRun is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-08, 10:59 AM   #5
jmb3rg3r
Not Amenable to Coercion
Sees Walt

Location: All you gotta do is take Main Street West to... or is it the Cross... That's funny, I can't remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLOSTRU? View Post
It is clear that the past can change the future and vice versa.
Not if Desmond had always gone to see Daniel.
Old 02-29-08, 11:40 AM   #6
Tambourine Man
Seeks Rescue

Quote:
1) Was that ALWAYS written in Dan's little book?
Good question... If it wasn't as someone suggested and the future was changed, did the words "magically" appear? If you looked at that page while Desmond was going back and forth would it have changed right in front of your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunLoganRun View Post
Remember, when we were introduced to Daniel, he was shown with a female caretaker. So, it is likely he has memory difficulties due to radiation exposure over the years. Maybe, he knows that the island has healing properties, and he was expecting his memory to improve quickly while on the island. This promise of healing was likely used to recruit him to go to the island in the first place.

After seeing the memory loss experiments him and Charlotte were doing I thought the same thing. It is similar to an episode of the 4400 where the future people sent someone back in time strictly to alter the mind of a scientist who had the potential to change the world for good but had unfortunately gone schizophrenic and was in a mental hospital.

My thinking was that whoever is behind hiring Daniel knows about his experiments and how close he is to actually harnessing time-travel (I mean he seemed pretty close in 1996). Unfortunately the affects from the experiments took their tolls on him causing some serious mental problems (such as memory loss). The people who hire him obviously know about the islands healing properties and need him to get "better" for their own personal gain.

Claire Littleton Adoration and Support SocietY

C. I. A.
-Claire Is Alive-

Thank You Lostitute For The Awesome Sig
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-08, 12:43 PM   #7
JacksGirlfriend
Captain of the Black Rock
Hears the Whispers

1. I think Desmond is suffering severe memory loss (not testing his ESP abilities). Charlotte asks him "what do you remember?" not "so what can you see?". He has a woman taking care of him; he can't remember why he's crying; he appears as a typical befuddled scientist, but he's actually concentrating to remember what he's doing. Any other man might have been toast by now but Daniel has a constant.

2. I think the words in the journal mean Desmond is the constant in the full sense of the word. This is Daniel's touchstone sentence. When he can't remember anything else, he can look at that sentence and focus himself where he is. If anything it proves to him there was an experiment that worked and he can remember it. It could just as easily be Eloise, but he and Desmond shared some experiences and human interaction so he used Desmond. The constant doesn't have to be someone close, just someone or something that grounds you and roots you were you are. I think those words have been in his journal since 1996 and that's what Daniel uses to keep himself in reality.
Old 02-29-08, 12:59 PM   #8
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

so can we attribute the flashbacks and forwards to this same phemon ?

perhaps the island allows you and your consciousness to remain intact at a "present" WHILE ON THE ISLAND,
(resulting in a flashback/flashforward brought on by some trigger)
but the second you leave, you start snapping back and forth through time, like an elastic band timeline.

either way.

WOW, what an episode.

this was the best one yet imo.

now where is the thread with all the equations ?

AND.. is the ISLAND jacobs constant ?

or is it the Black Rock (awesome to see that scene too !!)

Last edited by yung23; 02-29-08 at 01:01 PM.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-08, 01:09 PM   #9
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunLoganRun View Post
Would radiation affect only memory like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksGirlfriend View Post
2. I think the words in the journal mean Desmond is the constant in the full sense of the word. This is Daniel's touchstone sentence. When he can't remember anything else, he can look at that sentence and focus himself where he is. If anything it proves to him there was an experiment that worked and he can remember it. It could just as easily be Eloise, but he and Desmond shared some experiences and human interaction so he used Desmond. The constant doesn't have to be someone close, just someone or something that grounds you and roots you were you are. I think those words have been in his journal since 1996 and that's what Daniel uses to keep himself in reality.
Do you mean that Daniel has been unstuck since 1996?
Or that Desmond is his "constant" in another way-- to help his (possibly) faulty memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23 View Post

perhaps the island allows you and your consciousness to remain intact at a "present" WHILE ON THE ISLAND,
(resulting in a flashback/flashforward brought on by some trigger)
but the second you leave, you start snapping back and forth through time, like an elastic band timeline.
Whoa, yung.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-29-08, 01:15 PM   #10
jmb3rg3r
Not Amenable to Coercion
Sees Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yung23 View Post
I haven't dusted off the "Rememberance of Things Past" theory yet, but if next week sheds some light on Daniel's situation, I might.

Quote:
Would radiation affect only memory like that?
No, but a brain tumor might.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »