Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion > Locke's Lost Luggage

Old 10-11-05, 02:42 AM   #1
sgtdraino
Keeper of Locke's Luggage
Carries Big Stick

Locke's Lost Luggage

Quote:
LOCKE: Oh they lost one of my bags. All that was in my suitcase was a bunch of knives.
Hello everyone, and welcome to the thread that's all about Locke's stuff! I enjoy looking for "found objects" in movies and TV, and Lost is a great place to do that. Have you ever wondered, "What kind of ________ is that?" Well, here is where you'll find out! I've spent about a year, with help from others on the net too, to find out as much as I can about Locke's luggage on Lost, and collecting all of the items that I can:

My quest began in January of 2005, on two major knife forums, knifeforums.com:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/sh...hp?tid/574402/

And bladeforums.com:

Behold, John Locke's Knives from Lost! - BladeForums.com Behold, John Locke's Knives from Lost! - BladeForums.com

The helpful folks on these two forums were absolutely instrumental in those early days, in helping to identify many of Locke's knives. And during my journey, I even encountered the guy who sold "Lost" the knives! He has a knife shop in Hawaii, and on bladeforums.com, he goes by "imp."

Quote:
imp: Sgt. Draino you are almost 100% correct on those knives used in "Lost". How do I know? I sold them those knives. If I'd have seen this thread earlier you wouldn't have had to do so much searching. With the exception of the hawkbill folder you are correct on all of them. The hawkbill folder is a cheap Jaguar brand knock off of that Fury.

For the most part except for the Bucks and Spyderco all the knives that were purchased for the show were really cheap import knives. We tried to steer them towards stuff like the CRK Green Beret Knife and other stuff in the CRK line and SOGs, Ontarios etc. Stuff a survivalist would probably actually carry. They weren't having any of it. Too expensive. So they ended up with stuff that they thought "looked cool" but didn't cost too much.

The prop master came down to the shop one afternoon and picked everything out right there. Since then they've picked up about 10-15 of those Master Bowies, guess they're breaking or something when they throw 'em. The guy did buy a Kershaw Leek for himself though.

Last edited by sgtdraino; 02-14-10 at 12:33 AM.
sgtdraino is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-05, 02:42 AM   #2
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Locke's Master Pocket Knife

To take things more-or-less in chronological order, the first item up is the very first knife we see Locke use:

This is the little pocket knife in "Tabula Rasa," that Locke uses to make a dog whistle. Of course, it's difficult to be absolutely certain what it is, but its size, shape, and color match that of Master Knives Item YD-8085W. Master Knives is a logical choice, as there are at least 4 to 5 other Master Knives in his collection as well.

For those who are interested, Master Knives (also known as Jaguar Knives) are super-cheap bulk-purchase knives of the type you might see on QVC, and odds are you get what you pay for. Locke's choice to include these knives in his collection lends credence to the theory of his character as a "wanna-be" adventurer, with little hands-on knowledge before the crash.

Alternatively, some folks wonder if Locke might sell these knives to make a little cash on the side. This would explain why he brought so many with him, including mutiples of the same knife.

Last edited by sgtdraino; 11-07-09 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Updated!
Old 10-11-05, 03:08 AM   #3
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Locke's Case

Next up, is the big metal box that Locke keeps his knives in, as well as a lot of his other survival stuff:

This case is called a Rimowa Tropicana Trolley. It is expensive, water-tight, and extremely tough, along the same lines as the Haliburton that Sawyer tried and failed to break into. It is also quite heavy, an interesting choice for a man confined to a wheelchair.

The Rimowa Tropicana Trolley is also a model that is very VERY difficult to obtain in the United States, and might even have been discontinued by Rimowa. They can be obtained from places in Europe, but it's tricky. Hope you speak German! The fact that Locke has a case like this, may be a hint that he has been overseas before.

The case is primarily designed for carrying camera equipment, and protecting it from the elements. The case has customizable partitions you put in it, to keep your equipment from shifting around. There is an insulating foam material in the lid, which Locke apparently cut sections out of to put some of his knives in. The knives are held in place by magnets attached to the underside of the lid:

Here's an apparent production photo of the lid, you can see how the magnets are attached. These black-and-white images are from the very first ABC-sponsored alternate reality game site, www.oceanic-air.com, circa early 2005:

One oddity, though: This may not be the same lid! In this lid, the Sentry (and the space cut out for the Sentry) is reversed from the way it is in "Walkabout" (see the picture above).

Now, five years later, we finally see Locke's case again in the Season 6 episode, "Substitute," and it has the exact same reversed knife as in this 2005 production photo. From the "Profiles in History Lost Auction" site:

http://profilesinhistory.com/items/lost-auction-preview

And here's the case as it appeared in "Substitute" (capped by Brian):

Here's some more production photos for other stuff in Locke's case, circa the 2005 oceanic-air site:

And here are some more photos of the case in "Substitute" from the auction site:

Terry on the Case o' Knives:

Quote:
sgtdraino: Do you think we'll ever see Locke's big metal Rimowa case o' knives again? Do you get to hang on to any of those props during the course of shooting? Is that metal case still even around anywhere?

oquinn: Those knives are still around somewhere.

Last edited by sgtdraino; 03-20-10 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-11-05, 03:17 AM   #4
LostInWilderness
Hears the Whispers

Re: Locke's Case

I think I'm going to like this thread. This looks like great stuff Sgt Draino.
LostInWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-05, 03:42 AM   #5
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Re: Locke's Master Bowie

LostInWilderness wrote:

Quote:
I think I'm going to like this thread. This looks like great stuff Sgt Draino.
Thanks, LIW! Any chance of a "Sticky?"
All comments are welcome.

Next up is the knife we all probably most associate with John Locke: The one that is almost always at his side...

Most people think this is probably some sort of fancy custom knife. In fact, it is the Master Bowie, another one of Locke's el cheapo Master Knives! Used to be carried by Atlanta Cutlery, but seems to be getting harder to find.

In spite of this knife sharing a place of reverence in the lid of his case, this is also the knife Locke seems to have multiples of. He tosses one to Michael to defend Walt against a polar bear in "Special," and the bear lumbers off with the knife stuck in him. Locke still has one on his belt, when he leaves another for Boone to cut his bonds with, in "Hearts and Minds." It is also in this scene that you get a glimpse of the cheap black nylon sheath that comes with this knife. Instead, Locke carries his Master Bowie in a rather nice custom-made leather sheath:

Interesting that this sheath probably costs at least twice what the Master Bowie did!

The Master Bowie is also not really intended as a throwing knife. The wood grips would tend to get beaten up and cracked pretty fast (as you can kind of see in the above photo), the blade is too thin, and is the wrong sort of metal to stand up to repeated hits. Throw it enough, and eventually it will break. And in fact, in "Numbers," Locke uses a broken Master Bowie to build Claire a crib:

Some folks wonder if maybe Locke uses a bunch of cheap Master Bowies on purpose, so it's no big deal if they break or not.

Last edited by sgtdraino; 02-08-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-11-05, 03:42 AM   #6
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Re: Locke's SOG Tigershark

This is a high-dollar, high-quality knife called a SOG Tigershark. It may be the most robust knife in Locke's collection, with a 1/4 inch-thick blade of AUS6 steel forged in Seki, Japan, and a super-tough kraton handle. The Tigershark is a larger version of SOG's Seal Knife 2000, the knife created for the US Navy SEALs. At this point, Locke has carried it throughout Seasons 2, 3, 4, and 5, making it the most widely recognized and most iconic knife associated with John Locke.

We first glimpse the Tigershark in "Man of Science, Man of Faith," when Locke is gathering materials to go back out to the hatch. We see him do something we've never seen before: He unsheaths his Master Bowie, puts it down, picks up the Tigershark, and holsters that instead. We see the Tigershark a lot more clearly in "Adrift," when Desmond orders Locke to disarm himself. Locke pulls out his Tigershark, and tosses it off to the side.

The appearance of the SOG Tigershark may be our first real example on Lost of product placement for knives. It also may indicate the creators are thinking a little more seriously about the sort of quality a guy like Locke would trust his life to. Terry certainly likes it!

Terry on the Tigershark:

Quote:
sgtdraino: How do you like the SOG compared to the Master Bowie?

oquinn: no comparison, the SOG is much better than the previous wood-handled one.
This is the knife that Terry used to demonstrate his knife-throwing skills in "Throwing from the Handle," on the Lost Season 3 DVD set:

And he gave an autographed one to SOG Knives, which they keep at their company headquarters:

Here is the "hero" Tigershark used on the show, complete with the custom-made leather sheath that Locke carries it in. Note that this knife still has an edge on it, and still has serrations on the blade. Also note how the top of the guard is bent back towards the handle; that is indicative that this is the knife that Terry practices his knife-throwing with. Bad hits tend to knock that top guard back, my Tigershark looks the same way:

Here is the "stunt" Tigershark used on the show, displayed here with the custom-made leather sheath that was actually made for the Master Bowie. Note that this "stunt" version has had its serrations removed, and the edge dulled down. Also note that its guard is undamaged; an indication that this knife has not been thrown very much:

Many thanks go to Jason DeBord for supplying these two detailed pictures of the props. You can find Jason at the "Original Prop Blog."

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/

Unfortunately, the original SOG Tigershark has now been discontinued. It was replaced by an updated version, the SOG Tigershark 2.0, which is a nice knife in its own right, but doesn't look quite the same as THE knife of John Locke. The original version can still be had from time-to-time on places like ebay.

Last edited by sgtdraino; 01-10-10 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-11-05, 03:54 AM   #7
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Locke's KA-BAR

Next we'll take the rest of the knives in the lid of Locke's case, from left to right. First up, on the far left, is Locke's KA-BAR:

This appears to be a full-sized KA-BAR USMC Fighting Knife (not a knockoff). I originally thought this knife had all of its black protective finish polished off, but I finally realized the prop people painted the blade with silver paint! The giveaway is the silver-colored area at the very top of the handle, just under the guard. That spot isn't metal, it's leather. No amount of polishing would ever make that spot silver-colored. Only paint would. Best guess is that the prop guys figured a shiny silver knife would look better on-screen than a knife with a black blade.

This is the first knife in Locke's collection that is a real quality piece. The KA-BAR has years of history associated with it, and is even tough enough to throw at stuff. This is the knife that Locke gives to Boone to use, and he wears it at his side until his death in "Do No Harm."

Since then, Sun was seen using the KA-BAR to cut up fish in the Season 3 episode "Par Avion."

Looks like all the silver paint has worn off at this point. Then we see Sawyer using it to try and clean a fish in the Season 3 episode "Left Behind."

Finally, a little more history on the KA-BAR from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA-BAR

Quote:
History

The name "KA-BAR" came to be after the company received a poorly written English letter in which the author wrote how the company's knife saved his life after he was attacked by a bear and his gun failed to kill it. All that was legible was "k a bar", and the company adopted that as their trademark. [5] In 1942, soon after the United States' entry into World War II, American troops experienced the problematic nature of the M1917/1918 and Mark I trench knives that they were issued initially and, realizing the need for knives suited to trench warfare, a design was chosen from a catalog of hunting gear. The Marines bought many different knives and designs from a large number of suppliers during World War II, but it was the KA-BAR fighting knife that was most common and popular. It was chosen for continued purchase and issue after the war was over. The final shape was decided upon by the Marine Corps. The changes included a slightly longer blade for combat use, introduction of a small fuller to make the blade lighter and stiffer, and the pinned pommel and stacked leather handle as standard. In addition, the blade, guard, and pommel were all finished in a non-reflective matte black or gray phosphate finish instead of the brightly polished steel of the original.
Millions were made during World War II by KA-BAR, Ontario Knife Company, Camillus Cutlery, Case Knives, and several other knife companies. The knife is inexpensive, easy to replace, and adequate for most tasks. It was also used as a diving knife in World War II, though the model in use at the time disintegrated rapidly in saltwater. The various forms of this knife are still very popular with hunters, fishermen, hikers, outdoorsmen, and the U.S. military.[1]
Manufacturing History

The Tidioute Cutlery Company, the first company to manufacture KA-BARs, was founded in 1897. Following its financial collapse and take-over it was renamed the Union Cutlery Company. KA-BAR was initially a trademark but in 1952 the company renamed itself KA-BAR Cutlery Inc. The headquarters are currently located in Olean, New York. The Alcas Corporation, parent company of Cutco, acquired the company in 1996.[6]
Service

Today, KA-BAR makes Army and Navy versions as well as USMC versions.[1] They are virtually identical to the Marine version except for different initials at the bottom of the blade and different symbols on the sheath. Marines today often give the blades, guards and pommels of their knives a few coats of non-reflective matte black spray paint to reduce reflected light and give them a little more protection against saltwater corrosion.[1] Its moderate carbon and low chromium steel mixture allows the blade to hold an edge very well. The 1095 cro-van steel used in the blades of today's KA-BARs has a hardness of 5658 HRC; the guard and pommel are made from sintered 1095 carbon steel.[7] In combat, the knife has been used to open cans, dig trenches, cut wood and roots, and for hand to hand combat.[1]

Last edited by sgtdraino; 11-08-09 at 05:08 PM. Reason: New Information
Old 10-11-05, 04:18 AM   #8
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Locke's Tekna

Next up is Locke's Tekna Wilderness Edge:

This is a truly extraordinary knife, and a credit to his collection. It is one of the most expensive knives he's got. Tekna is no longer in business, but a company called Tektite still has a supply of these available, and has taken over manufacturing. From bladeforums.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tektite View Post
New, old stock of the Wilderness Edge is available from Tektite at www.tekna.us.
The following are some answers to questions:
  • The cutout blade version of the knife is no longer available.
  • The Wilderness Edge is made from 425 stainless steel.
  • The knife is high quality; it is actually used by the Japanese Defense Forces (standard issue).
This knife is a survival kit all by itself! Hidden inside its handle is a powerful waterproof flashlight. Its sheath converts into a small fishing rod. A little tray attached to the sheath contains fishing line, hooks, and lures, a signal mirror, a magnesium firestarter, a sharpening rod, a compass, and a wire snare for trapping animals. The blade is not designed for throwing, but is a high quality piece all the same.

Unfortunately, as far as we can tell, the Tekna has not left Locke's case. You'd think one of his best knives would get some use!

The only source I've been able to find for the Tekna is:

http://www.tek-tite.com/src/product_info.php?id=2979

Occasionally the older versions with the cut-out blade can be found on places like ebay or gunbroker.

PS - Thanks for the "Sticky!"

Last edited by sgtdraino; 11-08-09 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-11-05, 04:23 AM   #9
LostInWilderness
Hears the Whispers

Re: Locke's Kabar

We had the discussion on the Kabar before (because I was confused about it.) They don't all come anondized. I know you have hooked Leuthen and me. Dontkillbill loves the knives too, but I haven't seen him around in a while.
LostInWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-05, 04:47 AM   #10
sgtdraino
Carries Big Stick

Locke's Sentry

LostInWilderness wrote:

Quote:
We had the discussion on the Kabar before (because I was confused about it.) They don't all come anondized. I know you have hooked Leuthen and me. Dontkillbill loves the knives too, but I haven't seen him around in a while.
It is true that some Kabars do have stainless uncoated blades, particularly some of the newer models. But as far as the USMC Fighting Knife goes, no one on bladeforums has ever seen or heard of such a thing. If you know of one, I'd be interested. I'd probably buy it.

Next up, the Sentry:

The United Cutlery Sentry Serrated Tanto is a knife of medium quality, probably best suited as a sort of "trench-knife" for close-quarters combat. The grip is made of some sort of metal, so if nothing else, you can use it like a set of brass knuckles. The Sentry has a pretty versatile sheath; it can be worn as a shoulder holster, on your belt, or clipped inside your boot. The sheath is completely reversible for south-paws, and has a pretty handy way of holding the knife in place without any need for a retaining strap.

This is another knife which, to my knowledge, has not yet been spotted outside of Locke's case.
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Cast and Character Discussion »