Home | Community | Television | Movies | Music | Art & Lit | Sports | Gaming | Tech | Politics | Celeb
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Discontinued TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Old Dynamite

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 08-30-05, 12:04 PM   #1
I like to listen
Pushes the Button

+ Old Dynamite

At the Black Rock when Artz decides to lecture the group on the instability of old dynamite, and the properties of nitroglycerin he blows up. Here are my questions concerning this scene using the parameters of science and logic.

1. Since Artz knows about the safe handling of dynamite, why does he choose the stick that is LATHERED in crystallized nitroglycerin when we later see that Jack and Locke have a choice of sticks that are not coated or have far less crystals in the same box?

2. What caused detonation of the stick in Artz's hand. Heat or motion?

3. If the Artz's stick denotated because of the cooling effect of the the wet shirt why did it not have the same reaction when the surving group did the same? Remember that at least one stick was still in an unstable state when Kate tossed it down the hole later to help release Locke.

4. Why is the box still there, along with the rest of the group if heat and motion are the answers after Artz disengrates?

5. Why didn't Kate blow up, she was moved more then Artz if motion was the problem for Artz? Or the dynamite mules in the journey to the hatch?

IMO it doesn't make sense for the writers to set the groundwork for the dangers of old dynamite via Artz, then have him exibt the worse decision in his choice of sticks. He then blows up and creates a shock wave that knocks the group on their duffs, as his body parts spread in directions from an destablization of nitroglycerin wich has a speed that is between 4,900 to 25,400 feet per second. We see the shock waves effect and that parts of Artz indeed become projectiles yet this is not enough to cause the box of sticks to chain react at his minimal distance from it. There should be a big hole where they were. No survivors. And if this could be explained away how does it the explanation account for the boom stick Kate dropped or the return trip to the hatch.

Since I did conduct some research concerning old dynamite, crystallized nitroglycerin, accidents caused by the prior, safe disposal of unstable explosives and enough search parameters that probably have my IP flaged by Homeland Security now :eek , I would enjoy responding posts that try to give a logical or science based explanation. Please. Said a different way Please use science or logic to explore the issue in this thread, if unable to do so THEN post your conclusion in your pet thread as support that indeed something is up that could be explained by in (insert thread title here)

( I like to listen hears a rumble in the forum.." who are they to ask not to post the m-theory, p-theory, n-theory, jin theory, inverse theory, disconect theory, alternate reality theory, tesseract, it just a tv show, the numbers , etc.. in this thread..Bah.:rolleyes "...hmmm...(ILTL thinks)..I must create pressure valve as this is asking alot from theorist from ILTL...Got it!..)

Artz jokes are the exception as long as based on science or logic.
I like to listen is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-05, 12:15 PM   #2
Homer Noodleman
Hog Farmer to the Stars
Hears the Whispers

Simple answer -- IITS.
Homer Noodleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-05, 12:48 PM   #3
I like to listen
Pushes the Button

IITS, Gosh, what is it?
Old 08-30-05, 12:49 PM   #4
sawyerhasbestlines
Dept. of Clone Health & Zombie Hygiene
Sees Walt

Location: waiting for the next Christian and Ethan resurrection
Sorry this isn't science and I don't want to open up a pet thread.

But there is a kind of logic of the writers deciding to blow him up specifically - especially if they were trying to emphasize blowing up everything he represents. Arzt was a science teacher. Maybe his education and everything he tries to pass on to his students in his prior life have no use in this place.

So I concede that the point the writers were trying to make by blowing him up and nobody else, was to symbolically obliterate everything Arzt represents and stands for, and all his useless knowlege.
sawyerhasbestlines is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-05, 01:10 PM   #5
thoughtform
Blew Up the Hatch

It is also possible to see the blowing up of Arzt as an example of who the "lucky" people are. Hurley thought it was his fault because bad things happen to others when he is around. I would go so far as to say that Hurley is not the only person who has strange luck. So far, most of the main group have not been affected by Hurley's curse, why not? Check the Unbreakable theory.
thoughtform is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-05, 01:27 PM   #6
Homer Noodleman
Hog Farmer to the Stars
Hears the Whispers

IITS = Its In The Script. An expression that means it makes no real sense if you think about it too much.

Artz was around to hurry the raft launch with his monsoon speech and belatedly try to make it look like the extras were doing more than dragging suitcases back and forth in the background. They also blew Artz up to try to add tension to the scenes of Hurley, Jack, Kate and Locke who were basically wandering through the jungle doing not much of anything of real interest during most of the episode.
Homer Noodleman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-05, 02:18 PM   #7
I like to listen
Pushes the Button

I think all these are good reasons, listed above.
IITS makes sense but seems like lazy design. They could of introduced a bee sting, loud noise etc. to cause Artz just to drop the stick farther away and that would be more plausible given the rest of the dynamite trek.

Mr Noodleman,
This also was another reason for Kate to take off her shirt.:hat
I'm surprised you didn't mention that.
Old 08-30-05, 03:27 PM   #8
LostInWilderness
Hears the Whispers

I still believe Arzt's humorous demise was intended to show us that the red shirts don't matter. The show is about the main characters, not red shirts. SHBL and thoughtform are on target, imo.

The proximity of the explosion to the box of dynamite was discussed quite a bit at the time. I don't think you'll find your answer in science though; Arzt's death was about drama and art, not science.
LostInWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-05, 05:06 PM   #9
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Carries Big Stick

*Whistling his favorite tune*Just passing through! Excuse me!
Hodgepodge is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-05, 09:16 AM   #10
TheBigCat
SOUNDERS...erm...SEAHAWKS FTW
Carries Big Stick

Location: Green Hell, temporarily leased out to the 12th Man.
I have to agree with Homer on this one, ILTL. I'm sorry that all of your research was for naught, and I hope that Homeland Security doesn't haul away too much of your stuff, but when writers are creating IITS they tend to leave science and logic out of the recipe. One could easily theorize that the Others telepathically caused the dynamite that Leslie was holding (and only that dynamite) to explode because the didn't want anybody who understood science to live.

What am I doing? I just wasted a perfectly idiotic theory for no purpose. I need to create a clone account and post that one so that people can discuss it at length.
TheBigCat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Discontinued TV > LOST > LOST Theories »