Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + THeory - Egyptian Escathology - Mythology - Amenti

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 11-08-05, 04:15 PM   #1
lacenaire
Sees Walt

+ THeory - Egyptian Escathology - Mythology - Amenti

I sort of wrote this narrative based on The Book of the Dead. The Egyptians called it The book of life or The Book of Destiny. My speculation is that maybe Lost is following a mythological narrative like this. I am asking you to see beyond the "They are dead" part and consider the other more important implications which derive from Egyptian mythology that I think can be found in the plot.
I am overlooking, for the sake of the narrative, that all the processes through the Amenti are performed by means of rituals and spells in 7 different mysterical ceremonies. The rituals can be translated into the actions and situations that every character has to face.

Sorry if this is a bit long. I tried to summarize as much as I could. English is not my native language so it's hard to condense sometimes.

Quote:
After living in this world the Egyptians believed they were born into another world called the Amenti, where the knowledge they acquired in this would be of paramount importance.

The afterlife is conceived as a struggle that will prepare for the trial of the heart and then the passage to Paradise.

The Amenti is maybe placed in an island in the Lake of Horus and it is filled with beings and entities of all kinds since the beginning of the World.
It is placed under the Boreal Sky. The furthermost part of the Amenti is where stars are thrown into the abyss. There is a mountain of impressive height on the east and a temple under it protected by The Great Snake whose breast is adorned with silex and a sparkling shielding. There are portals with temples or palaces in the 4 positions of the sun. It is divided in 12 sections.

After you pass away on Earth, you are reborn as the reincarnation of a god, but only potentially, you have to realize that potential to become the real personification of the god.
First you recover your mouth to be able to speak.
Then regain power of your bodily functions. You start by recovering your arms and legs, then your heart and lungs in order to regain mobility.
The newly born into the Amenti can play checkers.
Checkers was a game used to solve disputes.

Now, you find yourself in the midst of an eternal Battle between Light (Horus) and Darkness (Seth). Neither of them is good or bad, they represent the 2 opposing forces of Nature that have to be put in balance so the Order of the Cosmos can be restored. That will be brought forth by the birth of the New Horus, an event which you must contemplate and from then on you must become the protector of that baby acting as Osiris.
Both Set and Horus are ruthless warriors, with no concept of pity for their enemies.
This is part of a Messianic prophecy as that New Born Baby Horus will grow to be the leader of the army that will help Osiris vanquish Set and permit his return to the Land of the Living.

The Amenti is ripe with perils.The most dangerous are Seth’s demons.
There are dangerous spirits that devour their own arms.
The hairy demons.
The black boars of Seth, armed with venomous fangs.
The evil fish Andú.
The fisher-spirits and the hunter-spirits that catch everyone on the Amenti for the Great Governor.
Other demons have a veil covering their faces.
There are Guardian Spirits with dangerous fingers and armed with long knives.
There is a dog demon that devours corpses and stands guard by a lake of fire. He is the leader of the invisible red demons.
The evil Apap, that old serpent
The rebels
The devouring crocodiles
"The Host of Set" : Red haired humans formed part of his army

Demons and monsters are invisible but they can be make tangible and visible when they are incarnated in your mind.

Natural phenomena related to darkness were all atributed to the influence of Set, that is, storms, earthquakes and eclypses.
It was also believed that Set lived in the Palace of the Great Bear in the hyperborean regions, where he could live in darkness and cold.

You may find help along the way, like the Sanctified Spirits who dwell in secret abodes,
or the servants of the two-headed lion god.
In the house of the Moon you might find magic weapons.

In the Amenti there are also damned souls of the people who have died twice. They become dangerous too.
They will remain forever in the Amenti as mere shadows drawing their strength from the blood of the living.

In this afterlife the purpose is first to become pure, renouncing all the evil deeds done in the previous life so that they don’t count anymore against you. Only then you may find inside yourself the strength to overcome all the enemies and restore Order.

You have to turn into Khepra , the god of Metamorphosis. You have to acquire the power of invisibility, the power of shape-shifting; you must be able to turn into a hawk with a phoenix head, a snake, a lotus, a scorpion, a swallow, a fish. You must gain power over the stars, the waters on Earth and in the sky, over the irrational animals.
You must become Orion and be able to ride along the fixed stars.
You must gain knowledge of the mysterious paths in the land of the dead.
In the process all your body parts must be replaced by body parts from different gods.
You offer your arm to Ra, to distinguish yourself from the demons that use it only for their own purposes

To success you must cross the fire zone and separate the 2 warring sides with a torrent.
When you come forth as the restorer of peace you are crowned as King of the two lands.

Two lions crouch at the beautiful gate of exit from Amenti.
As Osiris your emblems are the Eye and the Pillar.
The emblem of Horus is the Hawk with a phoenix head and The Big Fish

After restoring the Order you come into the sanctuary of Maat (=Cosmic Order) to stand the trial of the scales before the 42 divine judges. You declare your deeds in the Amenti and that you’ve remained pure in it and beg the 4 powerful spirits to cleanse the sins you comitted before on Earth in order to be able to leave the Amenti and enter Paradise, where you can contemplate forever the spirits of the Sun and the Moon inside the House of the Million Years.
It is said that you need a stair to access the celestial regions where the land of Paradise is placed.
5 pillars sustained the structure of the Paradise. Ra sits there on a metalic throne ornated with lion faces and bull hooves.
There you can live forever in the Field of the Blessed. There you will also find the city, field and the lake of peace. The whole paradise is surrounded by walls.

Last edited by lacenaire; 06-19-06 at 10:22 PM.
lacenaire is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-05, 05:17 PM   #2
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Re: Speculation - Egyptian Mythology

Lace: Totally agree that eyptian mythology is relevant to this show. But never before have I seen anyone put it together quite like this. Brilliant!
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-05, 05:22 PM   #3
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

Yes, than you lacenaire. It is indeed fascinating stuff!
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-05, 10:11 PM   #4
Hurley4Prez
Resident Zombie Slayer
Sees Walt

Wow, that sounds apt (thanks for highlighting the similar parts).

Quote:
The newly born into the Amenti can play checkers.
That sounds a bit like Locke's backgammon playing, following a few lines that sound a lot like Locke's post-crash experience.
Quote:
In this afterlife the purpose is first to become pure, renouncing all the evil deeds done in the previous life so that they don’t count anymore against you. Only then you may find inside yourself the strength to overcome all the enemies and restore Order.
This definitely describes our castaway's current opportunity. The island has given them new lives, and Locke has even pointed this out.
Hurley4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-05, 11:47 PM   #5
jmb3rg3r
Not Amenable to Coercion
Sees Walt

Location: All you gotta do is take Main Street West to... or is it the Cross... That's funny, I can't remember

The very earliest Egyptian-Sumerian creation myths also state that the world was born from a sea of primordial chaos (nun) from which an *island* arose to become the first land.
jmb3rg3r is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-05, 06:12 PM   #6
zilch

Tintin rules.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-05, 06:25 PM   #7
drabauer
DrHARMony
Talks Backwards

Hmmm . . the tintin connection.

I still maintain it explains Raiders of the Lost Ark!
drabauer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-05, 10:29 PM   #8
ZigbertToshicus
Pushes the Button

Wow, Lacenaire. Great work. It seems like there is lots here to help explain the significance of the Others' interest in children and the potential power of children, the recurring eyes (eye of Horus), and lots more. Thanks for posting that.
ZigbertToshicus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-05, 08:58 AM   #9
spooky
Island Scribe
Pushes the Button

Re: Speculation - Egyptian Escathology - Mythology

Om, namah Kalki-devi. I'm starting to get into the end/beginning of the world thing, Lace, due to your diligence. Rebirth... redemption... I like it.

Poor Kali, though, she's just doing her job -- no beginning without the ending.

Some people might argue that we're already passed kaliyuga and are into the upswing of Satyayuga, Age of Aquarius sort of thing. But that doesn't seem true for our little island.
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-03-05, 04:56 PM   #10
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

Re: Speculation - Egyptian Escathology - Mythology

Lace: Everytime I read this thread, little shivers of terror run down my spine. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if there's some way to connect this with your riverworld and my chorus of the dead speculations. Could the island be a secular approximation of Amenti? Perhaps the island's electromagnetic properties make it a gathering place for em "spirits," particularly those that aren't ready to cross over to the land of the dead.

Perhaps it's a magnet for people who were murdered.

The poster formerly known as awsecond. Somehow, bigmouth seems more appropriate...

Where does Vincent go?
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »