Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > The Computer is Conscious

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 10-01-05, 02:23 PM   #1
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

The Computer is Conscious

Forget for a moment about Desmond, who is likely a drone. Consider the possibility that it's the computer that calls the shots. What if singularity has arrived in the form of a sentient computer in the Hatch?

Desmond's primary responsibility seems to consist of entering the numbers periodically. We know the numbers predate his service, since their broadcast was received decades ago, and they seem integrated into the very design of the Hatch. As others have noted, the computer itself also appears older than Desmond. The apple II terminal is ancient, and the "execute" key is well worn.

I take from the foregoing that Desmond is merely one in a long line of technicians/watchmen sent to service the computer and secure the Hatch. I'm reminded of the astronauts in 2001:ASO who exist to service HAL. Like Dave Bowman (and, for that matter, the audience) Desmond may think he's in charge of the computer. But what if the opposite is true?

It may seem farfetched that a computer seemingly built in the 50's-70's could have the computing power to become sentient. But I continue to believe that the Hatch is somehow related to the remains of the Montauk/Phoenix Project. And von Neumann, one of the fathers of Montauk/Phoenix, was preoccupied with linking minds with computers, and sentient computing generally.

Besides, this is no ordinary island. If a paralyzed man can regain the ability to walk, perhaps a computer can become conscious.
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 02:43 PM   #2
sawyerhasbestlines
Dept. of Clone Health & Zombie Hygiene
Sees Walt

Location: waiting for the next Christian and Ethan resurrection
Re: The Computer Calls the Shots

Awesecond,

All these ideas were brought up the other day. I think the HAL discussion got moved to the new board. There's are 2 Von Neumann discussions already progress. Check the last couple pages.

Also you might be interested in the "sphere" thread which I think is archived. Based on the movie "the sphere" you might like that thread.
sawyerhasbestlines is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 02:50 PM   #3
bigmouth
Blew Up the Hatch

SHBL: Thanks for tip, but I'm mystified. I follow the boards pretty closely, and aside from my own posts in response to KB's thread and maybe a shark thread, I'm not sure that anyone has sought to weave these ideas together into a single theory that the computer in the Hatch is conscious.

Anyway, I hope the mods will think twice about locking this thread or moving it elsewhere. This is an effort to tie together a number of recent insights by others into a broader theory about what's controlling events generally in the show. I think the computer may be the key to a lot. It may, for example, have triggered the EMP pulse that brought down the plane.
bigmouth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 03:30 PM   #4
sawyerhasbestlines
Dept. of Clone Health & Zombie Hygiene
Sees Walt

Location: waiting for the next Christian and Ethan resurrection

Quote:
I think the computer may be the key to a lot. It may, for example, have triggered the EMP pulse that brought down the plane.
That's a new idea. We haven't had many what brought down the plane threads in awhile. Maybe if you change the subject title, you'll get more responses.
sawyerhasbestlines is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 04:26 PM   #5
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice

this is somewhat along the lines of what I have been saying too, suppose the apple is using iching lines as bits and bytes..
sort of like a quauntum life" computer, able to reach into any dimension to gather more compueting power. each dimension still only house an apple II, but multiple dimensions would equal a multiple processor super computer, possibly allowing for sentience.

I like the idea.
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 05:02 PM   #6
NeillT006
We Barefootin'
Sees Walt

Awesecond:

I don't think for a second that this is it, but what the hell. Its Saturday, I feel like having some fun, and I like the idea. So here it is.

Our Hatch buddies, whoever they are, were in on the early days of the computer revolution. They are running up on the limits of then existing technology and are faced with a pivotal decision. Do we continue down the road of silicon based - digital computing? Or, do we look for a way to tap into the wonder of carbon based data processing found somewhere in the bodies of most of the planet's more advanced life forms?

So, they take the road less traveled and begin to tinker with methods of establishing an interface between computer and animal brain. Animals are conditioned (physically, genetically, chemically??) to achieve the required state. Some sort of "connection" is established playing off what may be an inherent ability of many animals to perceive at some level their magnetic environment. Voila! A silicon/carbon powered intranet.

But, there is trouble in paradise.

Animals have something that we are pretty sure does not exist in their silicon counterparts: the instinct to survive through dominance over their physical and/or social environments. Since the intranet connection is a two-way affair, there is a contest to decide who is the controller and who is the controlled.

Animals 1. Computer 0.

So, a sort of aggregate intelligence is established. It is not exactly an artificial intelligence because it derives much of its character from flesh and blood beings. But, clearly, this isn't Kansas, and Toto has a wierd look in his eyes.

Those in charge of this program are pretty happy about this turn of events. Dawning of a new age, and all that sort of stuff.

But then something strange happens. People around the program start to act a little odd.

As quick as you can say "the predicted process became unstable introducing parameters not included or contemplated by stringent design review procedures," the "AHA" moment flipped to "Oh, shit."

So, there ensues a decades long effort mixing elements of containment and observation (Let's pull the plug!! vs. No, let's see what happens next), and before long a sort of them vs us situation evolves.

Now, as it turns out, the aggregate mind ultimately emerges to be less than beastly. But it is engaged in a battle for its survival. So, its steps toward contact and communication with those weird folks on the other side of the keyboard are approached with no small bit of trepidation. From time to time communication is attempted, and there exists in the Aggregate a recognition that maybe there are some of these others who can actually help.

Maybe if they could just chat.

But any fool can see this is a pretty uncomfortable situation for the Prince of Primates. It just wouldn't look good to be playing second fiddle to a boar.

So, we need a fail safe. The experiment will be allowed to continue so long as we know we are still in control. But we can't risk that something should happen and the guy who is supposed to pull the plug is somehow prevented from carrying out the mission. What to do? Well, turn it around. Unless an affirmative decision is made to continue on some sort of periodic basis, oh, lets say every 108 minutes for whatever reason, then the plug automatically pulls on the computer - side of the intranet. And so that we know all is well, the code for continuation will be broadcast at the time of each reset.

But what if we pull the plug and the rest of the aggregate mind continues? Hmm. Better keep that connection going for the time being.

Where does Vincent get off to anyway?

N.
NeillT006 is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 05:10 PM   #7
yung23
Hears the Whispers

awesome !

however, as my wife just noticed, desmond would be fried if he only ever got 1:48 minutes to sleep.

thats torture !
perhaps the point of injections though.. this thread should explode at anytime.
Old 10-01-05, 06:06 PM   #8
SeattleFilmMaker

While I'm into the idea of the computer having AI, I'd be shocked if the APPLE II is going to be it. I think we'd see some OTHER computer doing this stuff.

It's obvious that Desmond doesn't even know about the survivors, so he's not in charge of the security system. In the next episode, Locke is sitting there with a broken computer. Obviously, the countdown still goes on, but Locke is powerless to stop it. I have a feeling nothing will happen, that this computer is a very short LEASH for Desmond.

Anyway...this 'aint the computer. It just wouldn't happen, not with an Apple II. Not even a II/e would cut it.

-E
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 07:23 PM   #9
Mysterious Jazz Man
Wasn't on the List

I donít get this, much of this has been mentioned in my von Neumann thread, why not contribute to it also as I and awsecond brought up some interesting points there. Of course this thread should continue itís just that it would be nice to hear all of you smart peoples thoughts in the Neumann thread also

Hereís a quote from the von Neumann thread.

"I find von Neumannís work more and more interesting it connects too so many theories. Von Neumann believed that thereís an occurring pattern, matrix in our whole reality (I ching, Jung, you name it) that can reproduce it self in various forms ala the universal constructor this being possible through quantum physics that allows for the "role of the observer in creating the collapse of the quantum wave function" which simply put makes every possibilities possible. von Neumann and many other AI scientists sees the human mind much like a computer just more complex but system wise they are much alike and "From the Church-Turing Thesis the following hypothesis seemed to be a small thought exciting leap: human cognition could be emulated by computers. A variety of views have been held Cognitivism: the brain is a digital computer. On account of the thesis of cognitivism there is, in cognitivism, a parallel between models of mind and concepts or models of computation". Now add quantum mechanics and computing to this where we would be technically able to control collapse of the quantum wave functions and control matter from different universes. We humans could also be able to "connect" with this kind of computing much like a computer connects with software and programs giving us a universal mind and quantum powers ect. Von Neumann was also a big a part of Montauk/Phoenix Project and Manhattan Project. See how nicely von Neumann ties every Theory, from Freud meets the matrix to the making many worlds happen thread together."
Mysterious Jazz Man is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-01-05, 08:02 PM   #10
yung23
Hears the Whispers

i apologize, I had no idea who he was so i never even looked.. going there now.. very good symmetry" to lost so far..

edit.. uh, where is it exactly ?
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »