Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories > + Time Loops?

LOST Theories So you think you know some secrets of the island? Maybe you can explain everything. If it's original and you can back it up, we'd love to hear it.

Old 10-02-04, 07:04 PM   #1
JacksGirlfriend
Captain of the Black Rock
Hears the Whispers

+ Time Loops?

Ok - I was in "what do you think the creature is" and ran across this from Yung 23.
Quote:
the point was that if it is ancient, such as a flightless bird, mammoth, or giant sloth, THERE MUST BE A LOT OF THEM.
And it got me thinking (a dangerous and terrifying thing).

It's doubtful an entire herd of anything arrived simultaneously and if they did they would have demolished the island. And a single or couple of animals would eventually die out.

Then Yung23 said:

Quote:
otherwise it was recently deposited... like the plane crash people
And I thought: Impossible. There's nothing on earth that big now unless...

What if time is looping? The distress signal is looping... what if things keep happening over and over - a certain amount of time passes, then everything happens over and over again... and you have to keep changing things to make things different... and how on earth would you deal with that? Think Groundhog Day but not as much fun and on an entirely different time scheme, maybe a month, maybe a year, but eventually it starts over.

If that's the case, the next time we see the pilot, Jack may be unbuckling him and throwing him out the plane.

Has this occurred to anyone else or am I just insane? (I should never start thinking right after a nap.)
JacksGirl
JacksGirlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-04, 07:35 PM   #2
OneFoolOfATook

hhmm, interesting, but if the time on the island is looping then the message is looping in that time too....so...it would be at least 16 years since the last loop and who knows how much more to go?
It'd be freaky for sure

- - -
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-04, 08:15 PM   #3
pinnerman
Dark Lord
Pushes the Button

Location: Near the home of the only 0-16 NFL team in history.
JacksGirlfriend - Time loops, or anything else along that line could be totally possible in this show. I'm beginning to think that when we do start to learn about the nature of this island, the science that the creators of the show will supposedly be using to explain things will might be less thought out than some of the theories we've seen posted from fans here on this site. For me, I'm realizing this show is ultimately about the characters, and I'm going on record right now saying that I hope I start really liking some of the characters, because when I start to find out some of the explanations for what's going on with the island itself, I have a feeling I'm going to be disappointed.

On a personal note, you were wondering where I've been...I mentioned in an earlier post somewhere that I was out with a cold for a couple days, and that's when I had some time to put some of my theories together. Since then, I got a little better and life resumed. Its funny how some people have ripped on those of us who have actually taken the time to research certain elements of the show and put what we've learned out there for others to review.

This website is one of the best I've been on, the ABC board so far is the worst. From what I've experienced, it has the lowest common denomonator of fans of the show, and some of the people over there act like they're threatened when people like me or maxpublic post well thought out theories that actually have links and proof of what we're saying. It's like a knee-jerk reaction produced from an inferiority complex based on the educated guesses some of us put on the board. I had a bunch of people over there cracking back at me with the comments like "It's just a show, dude. People just want to come in here and post their thoughts." The problem is "their thoughts" were completely absurd about 80% of the time. AND, I swear no one on that board actually reads the other posts first, they just log on and post a new topic - "My New Theory-Fear Manifestation!!!" Golly Skip, you came up with that all by yourself? Congratulations, you're the 14th friggen person to post that, and that's just today! You and about 20 others like you win the irrelevant/redundancy award for lamest post of the hour. It just got really annoying and I got a little burned out from sifting through the garbage.

But I'm back and I'm all set up in my living room for the weekend with my wireless laptop, my HDTV and my two flanker tvs I use for watching multiple games or shows or news all at once (my girlfiend hates the set-up). I don't have the first hour of the show on tape yet, so I'll get that tonight and then I can tear it apart. There's a few things I want to go back and review, and I'm researching some new stuff right now. I'll be around.
pinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-04, 08:33 PM   #4
JacksGirlfriend
Hears the Whispers

Pinnerman - Glad to see you back. I love reading your posts. You and Max are my heroes. You keep making me think and Took keeps me laughing. All great things. Do all the research you like and pass it on. I don't have much time - husband, two kids, a dog, a job, other hobbies, dinners... (most nights anyway). Luckily the kids are fairly grown and leave me alone unless they want to talk (which I always make time for) and my husband has a myriad of hobbies, so I've pretty much been parked here for over a week. And I'll definitely be recording tonight.

Tried the ABC site once. The posts were all jumbled on the screen and I could barely read it. What I saw wasn't worth sifting through and squinting to find so I think I'll ignore it. Besides trying to juggle two boards would probably force me to quit my job. And I like the people here.

Don't worry about being disappointed - we're bound to be upset with something, but I think the characters are interesting, well developed and that will keep us going. If we don't like the resolution of something, we'll deal. Plus with so many possibilities, there's always something to discuss. Have you posted any predictions on Max's thread yet?
JacksGirl
Old 10-02-04, 09:19 PM   #5
maxpublic

I'd take a pass on the ABC site. I noticed after I went back and forth between the two forums that an amazing number of the ideas posted here end up on the ABC forum as the 'original thoughts' of a poster over there. It seems that some of the ABC posters read this forum, scoop up the things they like, then run back to the ABC forum and repost those ideas as their own. I guess it doesn't occur to them that someone who posts on this forum might wander over there, recognize the badly-reworded theory, and say "y'know, I think I've seen that before...."

Max
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-04, 11:29 PM   #6
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice
okay, here I am..
I've been trying to stay away from, sorry guys, "fruity" explanations such as time warps or other dimensions, it's too easy an answer. They could literally do anything they want with the show. I don't know what to believe anymore...
so many theories out there.. time repeating, looping..nah..
thats only one season in definition.

Keep guessing... anyone see that Simpson's with THE ISLAND ? Maybe they all know something key to the survival of someone else already on the island... I hear they were all sort of directed to that flight... plus the dark/light Locke thing... maybe their part of a game...
By the way when I say a lot of them, I mean enough of them to keep up their evolution on this island... oh my god.. I just thought of another possibility... The island that time forgot ?
keep thinking... I love the brainstorming !!
I wish I could find a job at some think tank somewhere...
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-04, 11:37 PM   #7
JacksGirlfriend
Hears the Whispers

games

Interesting... I was intrigued by the backgammon game (used to know how to play back in the dark ages) and the light and dark concept. But if we're going there, we have to bring religion into it because the only way it can be a "game" is between good and evil/light and dark, which of course brings us to Job and bets, God and the Devil. In my "game" Locke is the mediator/guide and Walt is the accolyte.

I personally like the theory because religion is an interesting concept but I don't think the producers would want to go there - unless we start seeing glimpses of other religions. I don't know much about other religion from a philosophy angle, so anyone who does should keep their eyes open and let us know.

JacksGirl
Old 10-02-04, 11:39 PM   #8
yung23
made Damon Lindelof say "Fermions" on TV :P
Hears the Whispers

Location: trapped in an inner product space containing a lattice
Re: games

Why does it need to be religon that separates them ?
What if the teams have been decided already ?
yung23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-04, 11:58 PM   #9
JacksGirlfriend
Hears the Whispers

It won't be the practice of religion that separates them. But since I'm not too familiar with other religions I've been thinking in terms of Christianity - the book of Job, the bet between God and the Devil, testing Jesus in the garden, etc. When the sides are drawn, it won't be Christians on one side, Muslims and everyone else on the other. It will be between those inherently good and those that aren't so good (don't really want to say evil). If you've read or seen the Stand you know what I mean.

But because taking sides in the ultimate clash between good and evil is a basically a religious theory (because it really does imply a higher power), I'm just not sure the producers would want to concentrate on that. Even though I like the idea (because I adored the Stand), I think it's risky in this day and age unless they've come up with a conclusion that will satisfy everyone of all religions. Gotta go. Show's coming on.

JacksGirl
Old 10-03-04, 01:26 AM   #10
Suil Liath
Now that they've killed off the only actual ACTOR on the show....
Talks Backwards

Send a message via AIM to Suil Liath Send a message via Yahoo to Suil Liath

Master Xander ( the admin( and his Mod Minion Posse are happy that you're all happy. I suspect that the ABC site is just attracting fans of the fannish variety. Since I don't look much at other "Lost" forums, I couldn't tell you what is being discussed.

Whereas the show is character driven, I am compelled to agree with Pinnerman in that if the explanations are TOO stupid, even my willing suspension of disbelief will be strained.

-Kit-
Suil Liath is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Other TV > LOST > LOST Theories »