Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > What's New/Countdown to Thanksgiving

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 11-14-17, 09:03 PM   #9051
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

Re: What's New/Countdown to Thanksgiving

I bet that if WartyOne and i collaborated on a cookbook it would probably be the largest and greatest cookbook in the history of cookbooks.

Personally, i have almost zero interest in writing a cookbook, though i think collaborating with WartyOne in general would probably be fun, granted something we both enjoy and on which we'd be willing to work together.

ETA: Oh and cat, big congrats on hosting this year! I know it's a lot of work but i imagine you'll find it was all worth it afterward. Please be sure to tell me if you decide i'm wrong about that. My best advice, other than the plan WartyOne laid out, is to try to keep things clean and to clean as you go - don't obsess over it, just clean what you can as you find you have a few extra minutes here and there. Also - delegate - YOU are the boss, get those kids and hubby to serve drinks, circulate h'ors d'oeuvres, clear used dishes, etc. Don't try to do everything yourself. Also, USE TIMERS. Some of us don't need them but i think they will be invaluable for catnap. Your phone probably offers a bevy of different alarms, you don't need to borrow Kate's egg timer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 11-14-17 at 09:09 PM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-17, 09:04 PM   #9052
Zaphod of Whiskers
We are the dreamers of dreams
Stares Down Smokey

Location: You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

the warty and mo cooking show i like it. youtube that guys k!

Should have taken warning, it's just
People ignoring
Running, hiding, lost
You can't find, find a place to go, so it's
Red skies at night
Zaphod of Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-17, 09:40 PM   #9053
gertie
I'll gertie
Squishes the Frog

I was unaware of this talent of Warty's, too!

Sounds like an excellent plan.

Mark Twain:

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
gertie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-17, 10:53 PM   #9054
LostViking
Plunderer
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnap View Post
I think I need to point out right now that a discussion of where to do #2 turned in to pages and pages of grocery store critiques (on their food, not their restrooms)

Damn I love this place

I feel I was partially responsible. So, you're welcome.
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-17, 10:54 PM   #9055
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

I am not a professional chef, but I did cook a turkey in a Holiday Inn one time.

I am pretty sure once a long time ago I shared the fact that it would be my dream to open a restaurant and make a living bringing smiles to peopleís faces with my food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-17, 11:07 PM   #9056
gertie
I'll gertie
Squishes the Frog

I have to say - in defense of Ingle's - that here, Knoxville, TN, that yes, years ago, they were not up to par with other stores. But they abandoned their old stores and built new ones.

They are bright and shiny, have the widest aisles so my little scooter doesn't run into or have to wait while some idiot reads every label on a good, and they have the best and neatest fresh vegetable and frozen food choices, and I have no complaints. Except they are not exactly close.

Whole Foods - heh, not sure. Kroger's - closest to me so most frequently visited (they've been opening brand new stores, too), Food Lion - just okay and several have closed. Publix - good. Aldi's - I agree with all the assessments, but one time I got a quart of strawberries for 25 cents. Could not pass that up. And, eggs are cheap. Walmart - every now and then. Bulk buys at Costco are useless to me, but I'm now on Sis's membership so we can split things.

I had a call from the hospital. My surgery has been moved from 10:40 to 8:40. I guess that's okay. The sooner the better.

Police were at the apartment across the way. For hours. The scummy guy that lives there had called them on his ex-friend for getting drunk and hitting him, so guy had to "get gone". Peacefully. Hence police.

Life is so interesting.

Mark Twain:

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
gertie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-17, 11:48 PM   #9057
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Then of course there is Aldi..

I donít know what the hell is up with Aldi.

They make you pay a quarter or something to use a shopping cart.. they have no bags.. and itís like they never have the same stuff. Weird place. I left it out of the discussion because itís like the Twilight Zone of grocery shopping.

I also left out Walmart grocery because FU Walmart.. I refuse to allow you to take over all markets for everything. Just FU, Walmart.

You have to pay to use a shopping cart? I've seen a place where they didn't offer bags...can't remember what it was called but I went in there once when I lived in MD and I didn't know you had to bring your own bags or pay for them.

I refused to pay for them, so cut to me juggling all my groceries in my purse and hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
Walmartís grocery quality is fine now and I certainly understand the need for the prices, but man do I hate that place.

In my perfect world I would go to Bobís
butcher shop for meat. I would shop for electronics at Nancyís electronics, and Bob and Nancy would be my neighbors.

Walmart killed my friends Bob and Nancy. Every dime spent at Walmart feeds a mega-conglomerate of entrepreneurial murderers that I despise. I understand though... but when everyone gets to the point in your lives that you can support smaller independent business.. please do so.

Excellent point.

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-17, 12:02 AM   #9058
catnap
duckgrazeharborpain
Drinks Dharma Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
Things are amazing right now. Lots going on and all of it exciting.

What have ya been doing for fun lately?
Oh, what exciting things?

Let's see, for fun, I went to Newport, RI w/ my best friend, and we somehow did not get arrested on Thursday night.

Then Friday morning, after coffee/breakfast recovery, we went on the cliff walk, which is 3.5 miles of trails and rocks and cliffs right on the water, with the backs of all the 1900s gilded era mansions facing the water. It's incredible.

I was very proud of the map I remembered to bring...I'd bought it another time, and it had taken me a while to find a shop to purchase it. It shows the name of each mansion (for example, one of the Vanderbilt mansions is the Breakers), along with history and architectural style, who built it and for whom, etc.

I was happy I remembered to bring it to the hotel, and even happier we remembered to bring it on the actual walk. We had JUST started the walk, and my friend asks me to take a pic of her in front of one of the mansions. So I pulled off my gloves and put them, and the map, on the stone wall preventing people from going over the cliff.

Then the wind blew the map off the wall.

We can see it, down below in a tangle of brush, but it's a far drop down...no possible way to reach it. At least 10 feet if not more.

Except, there's a rickety wooden ladder propped up on the other side of the wall. Who knows why...there's no access to anything down there. It's brush and rocks and a drop off into the ocean.

But my map is down there, and the ladder is a sign, I feel, even though one side is broken and it doesn't reach the top of the wall.

I decided to go for it. I had to lower my feet down and hang on the wall on my stomach till my feet could touch a rung, with my friend guiding my "a little left". I made it down. If it had broken, I would have been trapped. Literally no possible way to get back up without it.

I got the map w/o falling to my death, climbed back up without breaking the ladder further, all the while my friend is snapping pics rather than helping me. Although there wasn't much she could do, you couldn't reach the ladder with your arms from the wall.

Anyway, I got the map. I should post the pics and the ones of the mansions and our view at the hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mo View Post
One way to do this semi-indirectly is through gift cards. Just thought i'd throw that out there considering that we're getting closer to the peak of gift-giving season.
Great idea.

catnap is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-17, 01:38 AM   #9059
Mr Mo
Prodigal Adept
Squishes the Frog

You have to put a quarter into the cart at Aldi's to use the cart, but you get your quarter back when you put the cart back. The idea is that they save money by not having to pay cart wranglers and having to replace carts damaged by vehicles, and they claim to pass that savings along to the consumer. Same basic idea with the shopping bags. There's another chain around here called Sav-A-Lot that does the same things. I have to admit that both places have great prices, but you never really know for sure exactly what products will be available on any given day. Sav-A-Lot will sell you shopping bags for a nickel each if you want, and they're not out.

The Hannaford grocery chain also credits consumers a nickel for each shopping bag of their own that they bring in. Or at least they used to, haven't shopped there in a few years i think.

____

Cat, always bring rope for any kind of adventure. Haven't you ever seen Boondock Saints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonnegut View Post
Mo, I you
Spoiler: notes
gift cards make great gifts both for shoppers who are lazy and/or have a lot of gifts to buy. They're also a shrewd choice if there are individuals in your life for whom it is difficult to shop. When bought through the astore, they also help support this site, which isn't self-sufficient and doesn't hold fund-raisers or any of that other crap.

Please consider doing at least some of your holiday shopping through our astore this year.
Link: http://losttv-forum.com/forum/index.php?pageid=astore0

Here's a link for general help info on finding amazon goodies through the astore.: http://www.losttv-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=85061e

As the old woman said when she peed in the sea, "Every little bit helps."

Last edited by Mr Mo; 11-15-17 at 01:45 AM.
Mr Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-17, 06:15 AM   #9060
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

Yeah, you're definitely a writer. I was captivated reading that passage just now.

Glad you didn't die.

Things that are exciting for me include some successful real estate ventures that are coming to fruition. Moved back to my hometown and reuniting with friends and family. Also, new lady in my life.

The gin and sprite I'm drinking right now should go on that list as well.

I suppose if I had your talent I would make all that stuff sound amazing, which it is, but alas I'm just regulah.

Now post them pics. I wanna see this map you risked your life for.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »