Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > The Son - AMC Saturday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 04-06-17, 11:04 AM   #1
nsguy
Cons the Conman

The Son - AMC Saturday

The Son
Premieres on Saturday April 8, 2017
AMC at 9/8C

Spoiler: Premise
Based on the New York Times best seller and Pulitzer Prize-nominated novel, The Son is a sweeping family saga that spans 150 years and three generations of the McCullough family. The ten-episode, one-hour drama traces the story of Eli McCullough’s (Pierce Brosnan) transformation from good-natured innocence to calculated violence, as he loses everything on the wild frontier, setting him on the path to building a ranching-and-oil dynasty of unsurpassed wealth and privilege. The Son deftly explores how Eli’s ruthlessness and quest for power triggers consequences that span generations, as the McCulloughs rise to become one of the richest families reigning in Texas.Source

Spoiler: Trailer
nsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-17, 01:08 PM   #2
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Re: The Son - AMC Saturday

I'll be checking this one out.

Formerly known as clayseason1
sandi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-08-17, 07:48 PM   #3
nsguy
Cons the Conman

The Son
SERIES PREMIERE

S01E01 and S01E02, "First Son of Texas/The Plum Tree"
Saturday - April 8, 2017
9/8c - AMC

Spoiler: Episode Description

"In the series premiere, Eli McCullough leads his family's empire through difficult times after a frontier Comanche attack in 1849. Then, in 1915, Eli and Pete clash over how to respond to an unexpected attack on their home." Source
Old 04-09-17, 05:17 PM   #4
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Thumbs down Re: The Son - AMC Saturday

I just finished the first hour of the premiere and will be watching the second shortly. I didn't plan on that, but after viewing the the first episode -- I can't wait for the second.

Generally, the acting across the board is good and the sets are spot on (IMO). Additionally, we are dealing with two different time frames in South Texas -- somewhere around 1855 and later 1915. I think Pierce Brosnan is brilliant in the lead role. After only an hour, I've come to love him and equally hate him -- in other words, I'm invested in his character -- I care. That's hard to do for a premiere.

Brosnan plays the patriach, Eli McCullough, in this saga. In 1915, at his birthday party, he tells his guests that they need to move forward into modern times. (Boy he delivered a hell of a speech and I would have gotten up, drink in hand and offered cheers if I would have had a drink in hand. )

And I think this is where Eli is fatally flawed. He knows and intends to move his business ventures into modern times, focusing not on his cattle ranch but on oil-drilling, but he himself, IMO, will not be able to change his core philosophy to match how he really should go about it. By that I mean, I believe he will always be stuck in an era where a man had to fight for every scrap of food and inch of land and then turn around and fight to keep it. I think his harsh experiences shaped him into what he is and nothing is going to change that. (That's why I want to see those early years.)

I was taken aback by his evident demeaning treatment of his neighbor Garcia -- especially following Garcia's own take-down speech heard just a few scenes prior. It seems Garcia doesn't care for his son-in-law and particularly is against his alliance with the Mexicans and obvious involvement in rustling and other acts against Texans, especially McCullough.

Garcia appears to be an honorable man, worthy of respect. I get the impression that McCullough and he are friends (and probably share some history.) But McCullough gives him a cold shoulder at his party and when Garcia asks to talk to him privately over cigars, McCullough says he can't but his son can. (That was like a slap in the face.)

Speaking of the Garcias -- one of Garcia's daughters (Maria), who is now a widow, is back home. At the party, Maria talks to Eli's son, Peter (who is running the cattle ranch). I get the impression that Peter is in love with her and I think the two of them had at least romance before they married other people. (Peter is married with children.) So, I would like to learn more about that as well.

If you're on the fence about whether this series is for you or not, I recommend watching the premiere.

Old 04-09-17, 07:36 PM   #5
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

I will definitely be checking it out.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-17, 11:08 PM   #6
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi View Post
I just finished the first hour of the premiere and will be watching the second shortly. I didn't plan on that, but after viewing the the first episode -- I can't wait for the second.

Generally, the acting across the board is good and the sets are spot on (IMO). Additionally, we are dealing with two different time frames in South Texas -- somewhere around 1855 and later 1915. I think Pierce Brosnan is brilliant in the lead role. After only an hour, I've come to love him and equally hate him -- in other words, I'm invested in his character -- I care. That's hard to do for a premiere.

Brosnan plays the patriach, Eli McCullough, in this saga. In 1915, at his birthday party, he tells his guests that they need to move forward into modern times. (Boy he delivered a hell of a speech and I would have gotten up, drink in hand and offered cheers if I would have had a drink in hand. )

And I think this is where Eli is fatally flawed. He knows and intends to move his business ventures into modern times, focusing not on his cattle ranch but on oil-drilling, but he himself, IMO, will not be able to change his core philosophy to match how he really should go about it. By that I mean, I believe he will always be stuck in an era where a man had to fight for every scrap of food and inch of land and then turn around and fight to keep it. I think his harsh experiences shaped him into what he is and nothing is going to change that. (That's why I want to see those early years.)

I was taken aback by his evident demeaning treatment of his neighbor Garcia -- especially following Garcia's own take-down speech heard just a few scenes prior. It seems Garcia doesn't care for his son-in-law and particularly is against his alliance with the Mexicans and obvious involvement in rustling and other acts against Texans, especially McCullough.

Garcia appears to be an honorable man, worthy of respect. I get the impression that McCullough and he are friends (and probably share some history.) But McCullough gives him a cold shoulder at his party and when Garcia asks to talk to him privately over cigars, McCullough says he can't but his son can. (That was like a slap in the face.)

Speaking of the Garcias -- one of Garcia's daughters (Maria), who is now a widow, is back home. At the party, Maria talks to Eli's son, Peter (who is running the cattle ranch). I get the impression that Peter is in love with her and I think the two of them had at least romance before they married other people. (Peter is married with children.) So, I would like to learn more about that as well.

If you're on the fence about whether this series is for you or not, I recommend watching the premiere.
I agree with all of this sandi. Acting and production values were excellent. Pierce Brosnan is great. One small quibble, the two time periods (1849 and 1915) are 66 years apart. Eli was about 12 years old in 1849, which would make him 78 years old in 1915. Piere Brosnan is 63 is real life and does not look 78.

I really liked your observations/analysis about Eli (bolded above). He wants to move forward, but he's stuck in the past. I am also very curious to see how his time with the Comanche shapes the man he is now. The Comanche man who speaks English almost seemed to become a father figure to him, I wonder if his real father will show up and rescue him.

Couple of other things I'm going to be watching for:
  • The dynamic between the McCulloch brothers and Pete's wife. There seems to be something going on with the older brother and Pete's wife, meanwhile Pete does seem to a have a thing for Maria.
  • Wonder if Pete's daughter saw what happened to Cesar and if so how she will react.
  • It seems like the Mexican population in Texas (I think they called them Tejados) are planning a revolution - it'l be interesting to see how that unfolds.
Old 04-15-17, 02:53 PM   #7
nsguy
Cons the Conman

The Son
S01E03, "Second Empire"
Saturday - April 15, 2017
9/8c - AMC

"Young Eli trains as a warrior, but makes enemies in 1849. In 1915, Eli and Phineas struggle to help the family in Austin, while Pete faces his demons." Source
Old 04-16-17, 10:28 PM   #8
nsguy
Cons the Conman

I didn't like episode 3 quite as much. Something about the end of scenes when they were cutting to commercials seemed abrupt. I also found several things about the episode confusing.

I was confused about the woman that Eli went to see in 1915. Was she the same Commanche woman he was having an affair with in 1849? If so, I find it hard to believe that they should both be in their 80s, yet apparently still affectionate and in Eli's case virile. She also mentioned her husband Old Tom. Eli has someone working for him named Tom, but I don't think that's the same person - is it? If it's not the same person, couldn't they have picked another name to avoid confusion?

Were they implying that Eli's oldest son was having an affair with the businessman?

Pierce Brosnan is great in this, but less enthused about the characters with the excepting of the commanche warrior in 1849 who takes Eli under his wing.
Old 04-22-17, 05:17 PM   #9
nsguy
Cons the Conman

The Son
S01E04, "Death Song"
Saturday - April 22, 2017
9/8c - AMC

"Young Eli faces a life-or-death test of survival in 1849. In 1915, the McCulloughs enact a dangerous plan to take the fight to their enemy." Source
Old 04-29-17, 12:31 PM   #10
sandi
Loves This Place
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post

I was confused about the woman that Eli went to see in 1915. Was she the same Commanche woman he was having an affair with in 1849? If so, I find it hard to believe that they should both be in their 80s, yet apparently still affectionate and in Eli's case virile. She also mentioned her husband Old Tom. Eli has someone working for him named Tom, but I don't think that's the same person - is it? If it's not the same person, couldn't they have picked another name to avoid confusion?
I'm confused about her as well and wondered the same (if she was the same Commanche woman or not).

I believe "Old Tom" is the Tom working for Eli. It would certainly be a good way to provide for your lover and keep her close. I wonder if Tom is aware of the situation?

Quote:
Were they implying that Eli's oldest son was having an affair with the businessman?
They must have been because I came away with the same impression.

Quote:
Pierce Brosnan is great in this, but less enthused about the characters with the excepting of the commanche warrior in 1849 who takes Eli under his wing.
The Commanche warrior, Toshaway, is played by Zahn McClarnon. I've noticed him in other productions -- most notably the second season of Fargo in which he played Hanzee. Yes, he's good.

I think some of the other characters are just starting to get good scenes, like Sally McCullough, Pete's wife. It's evident she's the strong one in the family and she handles Pete pretty well.

Loved the restaurant scene where Eli daydreams about scalping Philpott!

Still an episode behind ...

« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »