Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General > Snowfall - FX Wednesday

Featured TV General Shows without dedicated forums have threads in this forum.

Old 07-04-17, 03:55 PM   #1
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Snowfall - FX Wednesday

Snowfall - Series Premiere
S01E01 "Pilot"
Wednesday, July 5, 2017 @ 10/9c on FX

Spoiler: About
"Set in 1984 Los Angeles, the series revolves around the first crack epidemic and its impact on the culture of the city. The series follows the stories of several characters whose lives are doomed to intersect: 19-year-old drug dealer Franklin Saint, Mexican luchador Gustavo "El Oso" Zapata, CIA operative Teddy McDonald, and Luica Villanueva, the daughter of a Mexican crime boss." Source

Spoiler: Trailer

Last edited by Mr. Bill; 08-19-17 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Corrected Day - from Thurs to Wed.
nsguy is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-17, 01:22 AM   #2
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Re: Snowfall - FX - Thursday

I really liked the premiere. I liked the music, the acting and it was filmed beautifully, it felt like the 80s.

The lead character, Franklin, is very likeable (don't often say that about a drug dealer), but I get the feeling he's getting in over his head.

A couple of scenes that really stood out for me:
  1. Franklin's aunt waiting until General Hospital went on commercial before she beat up the woman her husband was sleeping with.
  2. The Isreali drug dealer agreeing to front Franklin a kilo of cocaine if he'd let him shoot him with a bulletproof vest on.

Who else watched?
Old 07-07-17, 01:34 AM   #3
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

I watched it. I'll stay around for one more ep. Any show where you can hear Hall & Oates in the premier deserves at least one more try.

There's a lot going on, almost too much. I'm more interested in the CIA agent's pursuits than the rise of yet another young black drug dealer, a story told all too often imho.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-17, 11:27 PM   #4
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
I really liked the premiere...
Nsguy, I really liked it as well.

I was hoping this wasn't going to be another documentary on what drugs to the families in the inner-city, and it doesn't look like that's the way the story is going.

I knew about the involvement of the CIA/Govt. in the drug trade. I'm really curious to see how their involvement blossoms into crack-cocaine. I'm also curious to know how far this thing went up the food chain. Yeah, the guy told his superior to blame him if it goes sideways, but who knew what?

Quote:
...I liked the music, the acting and it was filmed beautifully, it felt like the 80s...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
...Any show where you can hear Hall & Oates in the premier deserves at least one more try...
Now see, I didn't like any of the music because it wasn't original. There wasn't a song in the whole hour-plus sung by the "original" artist .

Quote:
...The lead character, Franklin, is very likeable (don't often say that about a drug dealer), but I get the feeling he's getting in over his head...
Loved this character!

You can tell why he's learning a lot from being bused to a "white" school. Remember when he met the "King" dealer. "You know a lot of big words."

What I found really shocking, and maybe it's my naivete, was his mother's apparent knowledge of what's he doing. Now maybe she doesn't know how involved he is, but I got the impression she knew he was dealing.

Quote:
...A couple of scenes that really stood out for me:
  1. Franklin's aunt waiting until General Hospital went on commercial before she beat up the woman her husband was sleeping with.
  2. The Isreali drug dealer agreeing to front Franklin a kilo of cocaine if he'd let him shoot him with a bulletproof vest on.
Nsguy, my mother was like that.

You couldn't bother her if her "soaps" were on. The house could be burning down, she wouldn't leave until the episode was over.

He took Franklin's comment to heart. "You'll have another avenue for your business".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
...There's a lot going on, almost too much. I'm more interested in the CIA agent's pursuits than the rise of yet another young black drug dealer, a story told all too often imho.
I love they're using many angles to tell the story.

As you mention, we've got the involvement of the CIA. We've got the cocaine trade moving into the "black" community. Which I see now, crack-cocaine being a byproduct of "regular" cocaine being to expensive.

And, do to the conflicts in South America, and the turning a blind-eye by the government, allows cocaine to move into the Latina areas.
Old 07-12-17, 11:58 AM   #5
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Snowfall
S01E02, "Make Them Birds Fly"
Wednesday - July 12, 2017
10/9c - FX

Spoiler: Episode Promo and Description

"Franklin ajdusts to the reality of his niew enterprise; Teddy's distrust of Alejandro escalates; and Gustavo confronts his new partners." Source
Old 07-12-17, 11:58 AM   #6
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Typo's in episode description are TV Guides, not mine
Old 07-12-17, 09:23 PM   #7
Hodgepodge
Welcome Wagon
Squishes the Frog

Nsguy, I'm hoping the 2nd episode is as good as the 1st.
Old 07-14-17, 12:12 AM   #8
nsguy
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
Nsguy, I'm hoping the 2nd episode is as good as the 1st.
I liked the second episode but it was slower than the first. I guess they are setting things up for later episodes.

So I assume the club owner set up Franklin at the end.

I think the drug dealer likes Franklin, so I expect his reaction might be to go after the club owner. Of course, I've been wrong once or twice before.
Old 07-14-17, 01:15 AM   #9
Liz
Ridiculicious!
Hears the Whispers

Send a message via AIM to Liz Send a message via MSN to Liz Send a message via Yahoo to Liz Send a message via Skype™ to Liz

We love this show so far. It shows a lot of promise. The characters so far are interesting and overall I think it's well done. We also love the music!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
What I found really shocking, and maybe it's my naivete, was his mother's apparent knowledge of what's he doing. Now maybe she doesn't know how involved he is, but I got the impression she knew he was dealing.
See, I get a very different impression about his mother. I think that she thinks he's just going to work and getting his money from there. It seems to me that Franklin and his aunt and uncle are being very careful to keep his mom from knowing. They all seem scared of her, lol.
Old 07-14-17, 04:38 AM   #10
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

I don't think the Latin drug kingpin, who may be the best thing in this show right now, is gonna give a hoot about who robbed and beat the kid. However, he will want his money. So he'll use the kid for the intel he needs to get it, then kill him. Then we can finish up with that cliche of a story line. Sadly, I'm sure it won't go down quite that way.

The basically decent inner city African American tryna get ahead by becoming a drug dealer who's infatuated with the sweet innocent girl next door with the overprotective father. Before the season is out he'll have endangered them both due to his nefarious trade. It's like the producers said said hey, let's turn Boyz In The Hood and Menace II Society into a tv show (not to mention all the lesser known films about the very same topic).

The CIA guy is the real surprise of the series, for me anyway. He's a scene stealer. Such an unassuming character to be making the moves he's making. You just don't see him coming. I want more of that. I like the Latino wrestler guy too. Both these characters are enjoyable to watch, and they're the reason I'll stick with it for at least one more ep.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Television > Featured TV > Featured TV General »