Home | Television | Movies | Music | Other Media | Community | Sports | Arcade | Tech | Help
  MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) > Would you ever sponsor me?

Lostaways! :) Welcome Lostaways! Kick back, relax, and have a little fun!

Old 08-29-17, 07:59 PM   #1
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Would you ever sponsor me?

So anybody who knows me knows I like to let ideas stir for a good 3-4 years before I feel like I'm going to pop. Well, I one day got this crazy idea in Colorado, while high as a kite, swinging on a swing. It hasn't really gone away in the typical "Oh, that was a crazy idea" way in which you discard your thoughts as temporary. It's been damn near another 2 years since that idea and I still can't get it out of my head. It's all the variables that are giving me the anxiety and the idea of it failing and me being nowhere for it. BUT, that aside...

So I've given *that* part a lot of thought and have came to the solution of...if after a few months of trying my crazy idea doesn't seem to be working / self-sustainable, I was wondering if possibly starting a sponsoring page could help. Thing is, I have almost no friends and no family that would be interested. I remember a few years ago Leia Amos did a thing for her breast cancer walk. Mine is similar in that it has a cause, but is more of a photo project / journey at the same time, with a theme and an endgame.

Cost is the open-ended variable. Thankfully it doesn't take very much savings to go very far in what I'm trying to accomplish. I have other ideas of ways to raise money that doesn't concern anything online, either, and obviously of exhaust all of those options first. I'm almost positive now that I could get the project to take off and be successful, but if not would any of you ever consider sponsoring me on it? Every penny would count, for example a total of $50 raised would help continue the project about three weeks. Which is a long time to continue efforts, really. Anyway, just an idea I'm kicking around as a way to raise awareness / funds and thought I'd gauge interest and get advice from anyone who might offer some. Sorry I can't be more detailed with what I want to do, I don't have everything nailed down yet. I've been making sheets of ideas, problems, pros and cons, and every week my project idea changes a bit. Today was a big one too. -__-

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-17, 01:18 AM   #2
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Re: Would you ever sponsor me?

If I ever get a job.

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-17, 12:50 PM   #3
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

So what you're saying here is that you want to do something that you can't really tell anyone about, but you want to know if I would give you money to do it.

Have you stepped back and looked logically/objectively about your presentation here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-17, 12:26 AM   #4
Mattie
Cons the Conman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthawg1 View Post
So what you're saying here is that you want to do something that you can't really tell anyone about, but you want to know if I would give you money to do it.

Have you stepped back and looked logically/objectively about your presentation here?

Yes, Mr. Smarmypants. I once read a book that I liked very much and one piece of the advice was to never tell your dreams/goals to another out loud because no matter their response it somehow diminishes your actual (or can diminish it) will to see that actual goal through. Especially if they react negatively or say that it cannot be done.

My goal of the project (which involves a very specific form of photography) is to raise money for a specific cause, while I do something kind of insane at the same time to show how important the cause would be? Then, if successful enough hopefully the photos (which there are a planned finite amount of, a specific #) would end up in a gallery or auctioned off in some way to further bring awareness and even more charitable funds. That would be a dream.

"madness, and then illumination"
orson scott card
http://instagram.com/towhateverend
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-17, 01:51 AM   #5
Warthawg1
The American Idle
Cons the Conman

Send a message via ICQ to Warthawg1 Send a message via AIM to Warthawg1 Send a message via MSN to Warthawg1 Send a message via Yahoo to Warthawg1

So if you said "I want to take pictures in order to cure cancer" and I said "that's fantastic, Mattie"... then that would diminish your will to see it through?

I would read a different book if I was you.

If you said "Will you sponsor me in a walk to raise money for a cure for cancer", my answer would be an emphatic yes.

Anyway.. good luck to you. Dreams are fantastic as are good causes. I just legitimately didn't understand the need to be cryptic. I generally like to know the causes to which I donate.

I do however wish you the best of luck.

I walk across the dreaming sands, under the pale moon...

through the dreams of countries and cities, past dreams of places long gone, and times beyond recall.
Warthawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-17, 02:28 AM   #6
vonnegut
Answer him cracker
Sees Jacob

Yeah that's interesting advice, but you want to be sponsored to do something, you definitely need to... market it.

I mean, I'd sponsor you to do whatever, once I get a job, but that's just me

Love is no part of the dream-world. Love belongs to desire, and desire is always cruel.

vonnegut is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-17, 04:05 PM   #7
Ness
Tudel Agitaxatel
Sees Walt

Sorry Mattie, I'm with Warty here. There is a good chance that i would be willing to sponsor you, but i need specific details before deciding. How do i know that you arent looking to donate proceeds to the Scientologists, for example? You may think thats a good cause but i would emphatically disagree.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-17, 04:23 PM   #8
Mr. Bill
Mostly Harmless
Squishes the Frog

Yeah, I'd have serious reservations if my donation went to the "Elect Trump in 2020" campaign.

Troll Gate
Please deposit $20.00

*Dimes Only*
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-17, 06:01 PM   #9
boonian androphile
poet laureate
Hears the Whispers

That was my thought Mr. Bill especially after Mattie and I had a little spat about all that.

I have to agree with those who want clarification. Even liberal non-profits require a plan of how to translate vision into execution. For example I donated money to the LGBT homeless or at risk youth center in NYC after hurricane Sandy wiped the whole office out Noah-style. But I knew about its activities and I learned more through allied communication. It wasn't just Rupaul knocking on the door and saying Hey Grrrrrl here's the T...

Trust your vision and promote it. Trust your friends to be at least willing to listen and perhaps then to help you.
Old 08-31-17, 06:38 PM   #10
Dark Side Of The Moon
Seeks Rescue

You're applying the advice you received incorrectly, and I don't think it is very good advice anyway. Plenty of books about entrepreneurship would counter it. Either way, that advice you are clinging to is talking about friends, family, and general people in your life.

When it comes to benefactors and investors, angel investors, etc... You are obligated to share your vision. Asking for money is different than running the idea by your second cousin. The feedback you'll get from the former counts for something.
Dark Side Of The Moon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
« MyMedia-Forum.com > Community > Lostaways! :) »